Nintendo unveils Mario Odyssey & Breath of the Wild Labo VR compatibility

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Daisy, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Teletron1

Teletron1 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2019
    United States
    EARTH
    wait until they make a Majora's mask VR headset for BOTW :toot: but big N went right for its main audiences with Mario and Zelda so I would think this has to be a somewhat decent experience

i'm hoping this is more like a 3d depth experience like the 3ds

2. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    80 bucks is not cardboard budget. That's the price of ten good used Wii game disks. With 30 bucks or a bit more you can get the Switch game Sonic Mania Plus.

80 bucks is the price of two or three Switch games (okay maybe used, but whatever).

Google Cardboard is cheap, this is not.

Last edited by raxadian, Apr 5, 2019
    Bladexdsl likes this.
  3. ut2k4master

ut2k4master Lord Tourettes

Feb 20, 2010
    Germany
    you can get it for 40

4. Solitario

Solitario GBAtemp Regular

Feb 18, 2018
    Brazil
    Last edited by Solitario, Apr 5, 2019
    Moon164 likes this.
  5. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Yes, the starter version, that I guess does have a single mini game. Considering the targer audience parents will either be forced to eventually adapt a Google cardboard or build a second basic set, kids plus cardboard equals destruction.

6. tatumanu

tatumanu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 1, 2004
    Portugal
    I thought Mario Kart would be first to get a VR update...mainly because it can display 2 images without frame drops in 2 player mode.

I'm very surprised Zelda BOTW is getting this although i'm not sure if it will be fun to play this 200 hour game in VR.

Very hyped about Labo VR for sure, the software looks really fun this time!

Glyptofane and Moon164 like this.
  7. Daisy
    OP

Daisy Contributor

pip Contributor
    Aug 17, 2015
    United Kingdom
    UK
    200 hour..? That's a bit much, I have 150 and get bored playing it within minutes now.

8. chandlercomicman

chandlercomicman Member

Newcomer
    Apr 18, 2017
    Canada
    The Interwebs
    IMG_20190405_122027.

Moon164, kumikochan and Teletron1 like this.
  9. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend Zzzz

pip Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    HaloEliteLegend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    It's a novelty feature there as a sort-of fun gimmick for the Labo VR kit. Once again, Labo is targeted at small children, and it's not a serious move into VR by any means. The research on what good VR necessitates has been done, and the body of work is growing. We know that a high resolution and high frame-rate is paramount. Nintendo themselves have said that they've explored VR technology and aren't ready to jump into it yet, and I would concur, as it's still in its infancy and is awaiting mass adoption. You have to remember that Nintendo was actually first on the scene with VR with the ill-fated Virtual Boy, and have a body of research already amassed into stereoscopics thanks to the 3DS. The Switch's capabilities are good enough for the kind of lite VR you see on smartphones (Google Cardboard, GearVR), and not a serious VR product, and I'm sure Nintendo is keenly aware of that.

As such, Labo VR is just for fun, as another clever addition to the Labo lineup. It's unfortunate to see so many here looking through the lens of whether or not this interests them personally, as none of us here are the target audience. Of course it's not gonna be appealing to teens or adults without children.

The Breath of the Wild VR intrigues me, because it's likely just gonna be adding stereoscopic 3D to the base game. It will in all likelihood be 30fps, which is very much not ideal for VR. It can be done, a drop in visuals, and two offset cameras that are only having to render half the pixels, it would be less of a burden to run than it might seem. I can't imagine it would be very comfortable to play, motion sickness being a HUGE limiting factor to more involved VR experiences on any platform. But I'm content seeing it as a fun little gimmick for the heck of it.

10. PatrickD85

PatrickD85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 4, 2012
    Netherlands
    in front of a screen...
    Ill wait to see some actual reviews of this ...

11. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    It went from being ridiculous to me preordering the $80 version right away.

12. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Addict

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    "if this doesn;t sell VR nothing will"
    metroid prime trilogy and MP 4 VR

but we need a real headset with a strap not cardboard

seem like this might be the selling point of the switch pro

and BOTW will not be that great unless it is 1st person VR

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Nintendo's main business is hardware
    they give us this labo shit to get you interested
    you try and and want to see the full experience so they sell you the switch pro that is more geared toward VR but still not perfect they may even make a bundle with a proper headset included maybe even box it with MP trilogy VR or a Dl code

i can see them doing this , after the 2 new switch units announced this year the smaller more portable model and the pro drop they will probably make yet another model with even better VR maybe in time for the MP4 launch in 2048 , and do another bundle , switch pro VR plus new headset and MP4 included

just remember how many HW revisions they had of the DS and 3DS
    they make their money from HW revisions ,they will string us along selling us new hardware with minor improvements like 3ds to N3ds , but probably with a little more differences between units

13. dude1

dude1 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 11, 2006
    Canada
    i'll reserve judgement, i tried BOTW with my PSVR and it was cool and playable.
    real supported VR may actually add some vr quality of life features, even if it is just nintendo's version of google cardboard

14. pitterpatter

pitterpatter Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2018
    United States
    Solitario likes this.
  15. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Another Huxleyian Dystopia

All right, maybe if you are living off school lunch money...

Anyhow, I was comparing to the Oculus VR, which this is much cheaper than for sure.

16. zxieus

zxieus Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2008
    Wiltshire
    Mario Kart VR has been around for well over a year now

Moon164 likes this.
  17. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    So how the fuck are you gonna play those minigames. Laying down with a vr headset balancing on top of your head because of no headband or pointing your head towards a table in a downward position ? Seeing it has the motion controllers attached to it, it'll probably have head motion but how the hell would you do this without a headband. Holding your hand against your face or literally scraping your face all over a table with your head pointed down.

Last edited by kumikochan, Apr 5, 2019
  18. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend Zzzz

pip Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    HaloEliteLegend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    They also rely heavily on software sales. They sell many systems at a loss in order to make up that loss via software sales.

But intriguing thought! Didn't really consider that they may attempt a move into VR with the upcoming "Switch Pro."

19. samcambolt270

samcambolt270 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    how would that even work? I doubt theres going to be a first person mode, so what the heck would even be the point of vr support exactly?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

what the heck even is that? That looks completely pointless. also, since when is "No eye focus adjustment" a plus? It claims that the "Headset Lens is set to a perfect distance between your eyesight and the Console" except I guess they forgot that nobody has "perfect" focal point and adjustment is basically always helpful. I just don't remember when it because a selling point that there ISNT a feature.
    EDIT: Yeah, completely pointless. It's a magnifying glass and a tube with a switch mount. Literally completely useless. It's wouldn't even make a decent replacement for the labo cardboard not having a strap.

Last edited by samcambolt270, Apr 5, 2019
    Solitario likes this.
  20. Solitario

Solitario GBAtemp Regular

Feb 18, 2018
    Brazil
    wait one chinese to make a cheap with focal adjustment, if zelda is of first person ^^

Last edited by Solitario, Apr 5, 2019