Nintendo unveils its new fitness game 'Ring Fit Adventure'

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Sep 12, 2019.

1. legoinventeor

legoinventeor GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2017
    Spain
    Would you say this is it the Wii fit series since it rhymes and everything?

2. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    What you on about the only word tht rhymes is fit and it only rhymes as its the same bloody word :lol:

3. shadow1w2

shadow1w2 Still here.

Mar 16, 2004
    United States
    CA
    The cringe is way hard here.
    Surprised it'sban actual game instead of mini games collection is kinda nice.
    I'd find myself too embaressed to play it in front of others just cause how cartoony it looks.
    It's all part of the goofiness I guess.
    I feel liks "ab shield" could have been a lot more creative somehow but the direct approach is possibly better considering.

More interesting is that the ring might actually have a sensor in it which means the joy cons can connect to extensions.
    I guess thats old news but I'd hope to see some more controls connected like that.

4. diggeloid

diggeloid Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2019
    United States
    gbatemp.net
    Ngl, this looks awesome. They seriously think of everything. You can use the joycon to detect your heart rate, which means they planned this long before the Switch was released. There's even a mode for playing "silently" so you don't make too much noise while running in place. I'm extremely impressed right now.

DANTENDO likes this.
  5. DeoNaught

DeoNaught I'm here to steal memes and break dreams

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Constant Fear
    all of out of everything, that's what I find funny.
    Nintendo's Variation is something that I find enjoyable, from wii remotes, to Joycons, carboard boxes, and scales.

6. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    i dont think switch lite support tabletop even, its pure handheld only mode, no tabletop modes are playable since it doesnt even have a kickstand.

7. ViDeOmAnCiNi

ViDeOmAnCiNi Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    AZ
    Can't wait for next Mario Party game that supports this hoop for the mini-games! No more button mashing.

8. digipimp75

digipimp75 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 16, 2014
    United States
    Settle down there, trigger boy. Gay can have multiple meanings (happy, weird, and of course... homosexual). The context in my use of the word is "weird".

Tarmfot likes this.
  9. huntertron1

huntertron1 a simple youtuber that is trying to survive

Oct 28, 2017
    United States
    from what im looking at... yeah idk what this is, but this is interesting...

10. JavaScribe

JavaScribe Confused

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    here idk
    They look like they're trying so hard not to laugh. Guy almost loses it at 1:39.
    At least it makes their smiles more genuine.

11. AdenTheThird

AdenTheThird GBATemp's official Weedle fan-HAT-ic!

Apr 1, 2018
    United States
    Route 2
    Sure, it's no Wii Sports, but still...

12. DANTENDO

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Can't wait to see a YouTube vid with the girls face reaction when the guy says will you marry me :lol:

13. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Time to get...Fit.

14. DANTENDO

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    It's ok you got another month to eat shit:D

15. Ritsuki

Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Mar 15, 2008
    Switzerland
    As a guy who tried to go to the gym (I'm paying a subscription since January, only went 3 or 4 times) and loves RPG, but lacks time and mostly motivation, I must say I'm quite attracted by the concept

Dartz150 and DANTENDO like this.
  16. Kurt91

Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2012
    United States
    Newport, WA
    Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a little bit since I saw the video, but the game looks linear as hell. It uses a menu to select levels, so there's no exploring to get from place to place. Most of the "overworld" content looks like a straight path from Point A to Point B, with enemies that ambush you along the way. I'm not demanding Breath of the Wild open-world exploration, but a bit of wandering off the beaten path would be nice. It wouldn't even be too difficult to do, just walk in place like you already are, and turn left/right by moving the hoop in the same direction. (Not like a steering wheel, but by twisting your upper body so you're getting more body movement in.) Level design similar to how something like Paper Mario would be good enough as far as exploration, since you were constantly exploring around for things while on a generally-linear path.

The battles themselves, while not a bad idea, are a bit weird in that you're flat-out doing exercises for your attacks. Not exercises made to look like an actual attack, or Last Airbender style spell invocations, but enemies just mysteriously take damage when you do exercises. I know it's probably a petty complaint, but a bit more window-dressing on the movements and attacks to make it feel more like you're using some sort of mystical weapon to fend off monsters rather than just doing crunches in their general direction would be nice.

You guys remember all of the complaints with Final Fantasy XIII, right? It was as linear as a game could get with no sidepaths or exploration. You were forced into every single encounter because there was no way to sneak around them. There was no NPC interaction of any kind, and you were always too broke to afford anything unless you backtracked and respawned the same encounters along that stretch of hallway for hours. (Never was a fan of the battle reward system. I'd rather it be for optional additional goodies instead of your base battle rewards) I'm going to predict that this game is going to be the same exact thing with all of the same faults, but with a fitness-themed layer on top.

Last edited by Kurt91, Sep 12, 2019
  17. Jacklack3

Jacklack3 ( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here

Oct 6, 2015
    Canada
    In your basement Dick Size: 5 meters.
    I think the soundtrack is gonna be made by the same people who made Miitopia's. Go to the battle part and listen closely and you'll hear a robotic voice, the same one in Miitopia. I love the Miitopia soundtrack so hopefully this has a really good soundtrack as well!

18. graeme122

graeme122 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2007
    United Kingdom
    United kingdom
    What a load of garbage, I also find the people in these videos to be super cringy.

Give it a few years and everyone will look back on Cock Ring Fit and think it was a big piece of trash.

Last edited by graeme122, Sep 13, 2019
  19. Worldblender

Worldblender Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 27, 2019
    United States
    That's what I was worried about. If it turns out that I really need the special accessories, then that could turn me away from a potential opportunity to get more exercise outside of my daily walking.

20. 98otiss

98otiss irrelevant folfcoon

Aug 22, 2015
    Canada
    Metaverse
    a fitness rpg??
    do the floss to obliterate your enemies