Nintendo TVii to be cancelled on August 11th

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by loco365, Jul 25, 2015.

1. loco365
    OP

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Source: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkTLhzaaQ

After having TVii canned in Europe, it only seemed like it was a matter of time before it was removed in North America. Did anyone here actually use it though? Was it useful at all? Additionally, how long will it be before we get a system update to remove the TVii branding from the Home Menu? Can you take that a step further and perhaps expect a major system update to follow the TVii cancellation?

2. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Wasn't TVii like an EPG or something? Doesn't really matter it's gonna go for good.

So much for Nintendo trying to have a home console with media player options. There's like Netflix, Crunchyroll, YouTube, Google Earth and that Panorama View crap. At least with Netflix it works properly, so hopefully they won't fuck this up.

3. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    thank you for tuning in? did anyone actually use this?! :creep:

HaloEffect17 and WiiCube_2013 like this.
  4. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    They already fucked up Netflix. There's no damn profile support on the Wii U version of Netflix. It's so damn bad that I have to use the Wii version in vWii. As for Nintendo TVii, it was a god idea but hardly advertised and very slow.

5. SamAsh07

SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Jan 27, 2009
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Bahrain
    It never worked here anyways.

6. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    From what I can recollect, in addition to it being a EPG, one feature is that you could watch an NFL game with your Gamepad in hand and see strategy stuff on it. In other words, it's a complete waste of time. Never used it.

7. loco365
    OP

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    I wouldn't have minded the on-demand stats for baseball and basketball, and even NHL games, but what really sucked was that while the Wii U has support for my cable box, it can't control my TV even though the brand is in there. So I can't use it at all.

8. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I've never once heard of or seen anything of this services existence until this thread.

But I guess that's actually pretty common to only discover something because it died of unpopularity.

9. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    BREAKING NEWS: Nintendo is killing the Wii U one function at a time. more at 11.

Talking more seriously. If they replace the TVii service with a media player things could go better.

10. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Nintendo.. media player? lol not happening. They're stuck in the 90`s thinking they know what customers want.

11. Clarky

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    I thought it was a cool idea enough, but executed extremely shittly. Under the rug with the thing then

endoverend likes this.