The Neautral Gamer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
medium.jpg
Well, isn't this a surprise. It's a no-brainer that Nintendo wants to avoid having price issues at the Wii U's launch. Making the mistake of what they did on the 3DS would be tantamount to suicide. The big question is, will Nintendo price it at a loss to make sure it gets into everybody's homes or will they go on the road to profit, and take the risk that the 3DS faced?

Nintendo of America's president, Reggie Fils-Aime, declared:
"We had to go back and reduce the price of 3DS and we certainly don't want to go through that when we launch Wii U."
They say that when a dog burns itself on a flame, it'll never happen again. Let's hope Nintendo knows what they're doing this time around and makes the Wii U a success.

Source

they better not :|

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh, that quote from Reggie doesn't mean it'll be priced lower than what they want. All that means is that they won't be dropping the price so fast after launch. ZeldaInformer isn't exactly a reliable place to source from, and they seem to have misunderstood the quote from Reggie. I wonder how other, more credible sources will interpret it.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would had been happy with the 3DS $250 price tag if not for the shitty games.
If Nintendo can manage to release some decent title at launch, than I'll buy it at launch, but if they just release a bunch of Wii U sport crap, than I'm gonna pass until I see some decent games.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
The best price? $169.99. Live with it :tpi:

Jokes aside. I don't think it'll be cheap. My guess will be around $249.99 - $279.99 since Iwata did mention that the Wii U will be priced differently from Wii (likely higher IMO).

D

Deleted User

I think 300$ would be a reasonable price for a new console. I have a feeling it will be 250, the tech for the system IS REALLY cheap.

Xuphor

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Jokes aside. I don't think it'll be cheap. My guess will be around $249.99 - $279.99 since Iwata did mention that the Wii U will be priced differently from Wii (likely higher IMO).

I think it means basically the Wii-U itself might only be I.E $170, but each tablet controller thingie will be $100 or something.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

I think it means basically the Wii-U itself might only be I.E $170, but each tablet controller thingie will be $100 or something.
The console will be bundled with one WiiPad.

Hence I don't think it'll be that cheap

Xuphor

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Are you sure on that, or just assuming based on history on console releases? Really asking, I'm not sure if there has been an official announcement regarding that, but I haven't seen it yet if there was.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would had been happy with the 3DS $250 price tag if not for the shitty games.
If Nintendo can manage to release some decent title at launch, than I'll buy it at launch, but if they just release a bunch of Wii U sport crap, than I'm gonna pass until I see some decent games.

i know what you mean they should wait till they have solid games at launch look at the vita is also suffering from shitty launch tittles why wont company make sure their product is ready

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
"We had to go back and reduce the price of 3DS and we certainly don't want to go through that when we launch Wii U."

The 3DS was a bit lackluster for $250 at launch, which is the reason the price was later reduced. If they are saying that they aren't wanting to go that route again for the Wii U this time, then it may indicate that they are putting some more meaning into that launch.

Reactions: 2 people

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

Are you sure on that, or just assuming based on history on console releases? Really asking, I'm not sure if there has been an official announcement regarding that, but I haven't seen it yet if there was.
There was. They announced it'll be bundled:
http://m.engadget.com/default/article.do?artUrl=http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/18/nintendo-says-one-wii-u-controller-per-console-robs-player-two/&category=classic&postPage=1

Iwata went on to say that the console would ship with only one

And about the price, Reggie mentioned that the Wii will still 'stay on' even after Wii U's release. So I don't think the Wii U will be lower than $200 after all.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
it better damn well have a good launch lineup this time unlike the 3ds.
This. The $249.99 launch price of the 3DS would be justifiable if it had even a half-decent software line-up at launch. The one lesson Nintendo needs to draw from the 3DS is that they absolutely must release new hardware with strong software.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
the 3ds price in itself was not bad but the times do no allow such prices for such features. if it were an iphone then ppl would have bought it no matter what but not a gaming device.
i dont think they will punch the wii u to the lowest price possible but it will be surprisingly low

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
it better damn well have a good launch lineup this time unlike the 3ds.
This. The $249.99 launch price of the 3DS would be justifiable if it had even a half-decent software line-up at launch. The one lesson Nintendo needs to draw from the 3DS is that they absolutely must release new hardware with strong software.

once again, its not just nintendo thats to blame, after all, they had a pretty nice lineup at first, before companies started to pull back those games that were supposed to follow closely after launch, cause they're retards and stuff like that

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."