Nintendo Treehouse: Live - July 2020 - live coverage

What could Nintendo possibly have to show us today, with their announcement of a Treehouse Live event, and the tease of a brand new Wayforward title? We'll find out imminently, when the broadcast begins. Stay tuned to this thread, or watch as the stream airs, in order to see what mystery Nintendo will unveil.

We get to see some gameplay for Paper Mario: The Origami King, as promised. He gets abilities to solve puzzles, as well as partners throughout the journey. You can use your hammer to smash things to collect confetti to patch up holes throughout the world for coins.

Battles take place in rings, where you want to line up your enemies for attack bonuses. You can use coins to extend the timer for setting up your rings in fights. Lining up every foe will give you a 1.5x multiplier for damage.

You don't need to solve the battle ring puzzles, but it's essential to getting through fights fast. You can use 999 coins to heal and have Toads partly solve the ring for you. Boss fights will take place on a ring where you move yourself along it to better position yourself for attacks. You want to build a path to the innermost ring.

The big secret reveal is a new Bakugan game.

Bakugan: Champions of Vestoria, launches November 3rd.

An original story based on the series. Real-time RPG battle system with tons of quests. There are factions. Each Bakugan has 4 ability slots. There's 80 Bakugan types. Your monsters fight in an arena while you throw energy cores on the ground to help your Bakugan.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sat through that boring Paper Mario battle system stream just for a Bakugan game announcement. I'll admit, I did laugh pretty hard when the Bakugan song started playing. I feel like Nintendo trolled me, but it's pretty funny to me that I dunno if I'm pissed, or find it funny as fuck.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To play devil's advocate here for a moment: there was and still is a ton of disappointment surrounding Pokemon Sword and Shield, so I can understand why they believe there's an audience out there searching for an alternative. That said, this looks every bit as soulless and shallow as SwSh is, so I'll be sticking with Persona and TemTem for my fix of "Pokemon-like" mechanics.

Nintendo is "slowly" dying. Not rapidly but slowly due to the customer feedback

RivenMain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yikes to everything honestly. The streamers faces in each video I just wanna see the content.

The paper mario game looks like a find it game overworld with puzzles for battles.. Why does mario have 50 base hp? Why can he do 16 damage multi bounces on the goomba's? Spending money in fights to have toads play the game for you? Did you really just Coins to Win?

Why don't the kids arms move when he runs in bakugan? Why would you make the skill animations play a standard video when the 3d models are just sitting there staring at each other.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
bakugan game looks boring AF, so all you do is run around collecting cores and throwing into your bakugan ...

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is "slowly" dying. Not rapidly but slowly due to the customer feedback
Game Freak =/= Nintendo. It took Switch only a couple years to outsell XB1, which had been on the market for over seven years by that point. And besides, Pokemon Sword and Shield broke sales records even despite the lack of innovation and lack of appeal to core gamers. Nintendo is only "dying" in the same way PC gaming has been "dying" for the last twenty years.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game Freak =/= Nintendo. It took Switch only a couple years to outsell XB1, which had been on the market for over seven years by that point. And besides, Pokemon Sword and Shield broke sales records even despite the lack of innovation and lack of appeal to core gamers. Nintendo is only "dying" in the same way PC gaming has been "dying" for the last twenty years.

Yes but SW/SH got good review because of the newer audience not the older one. I may think SW/SH are mediocre game but a newer person first getting into pokemon may think the game is good. I think the most of the switches sucess comes from a newer crowed mostly parents buying their kid a switch because it is the least "non violent system" also it have Mario and Zelda and Pokemon which are strong franchises. The older crowd is mostly geared to PS4/Xbox One or PC I think I modded over 20 people switches and like 15 of them was for their kids versus the 5 for their personal use.

Nintendo has been dying since the wii.

The wii kinda had better success than the Wii U and the Switch since the wii had 3rd party support the switch barely gets any love. When they do get love it is maybe a out of date release or a PS3 port. I just see the userbase declining in the next 10 years versus Sony and Microsoft userbase steadily increase.

medoli900

Open the Benzenes;Gate
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The Paper Mario game looks fine, really. I really don't want to be the guy posting that Francis quote over and over, but don't judge a game before playing it.
As for the Bakugan game, I'm a Bakugan fan, but no video game surpassed Bakugan Battle Brawlers on the NDS yet. Why? Because it's the only one that actually have you playing the actual Bakugan game. Every game after that are just RPGs.

Also, may I interject a sec to point out how the king name is genius, but unfortunately stuck in localisation hell? In Japanese, his name is Orī-Ō, which literally means King Ori (Ō being a short end for Ōsama), and kami (or gami) means God/Deity, and describe a higher being, which fits well, since the Kanji for king in japanese means "the mediator between Earth and Heavens". [Insert The More You Know gif here]

Last edited by medoli900,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes but SW/SH got good review because of the newer audience not the older one. I may think SW/SH are mediocre game but a newer person first getting into pokemon may think the game is good. I think the most of the switches sucess comes from a newer crowed mostly parents buying their kid a switch because it is the least "non violent system" also it have Mario and Zelda and Pokemon which are strong franchises. The older crowd is mostly geared to PS4/Xbox One or PC I think I modded over 20 people switches and like 15 of them was for their kids versus the 5 for their personal use.
Oh for sure, but Nintendo's target audience has always been on the younger side. It doesn't really matter where the sales come from as long as they keep coming. Simply by being the first mass-marketed hybrid console, Switch has a very wide appeal.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh for sure, but Nintendo's target audience has always been on the younger side. It doesn't really matter where the sales come from as long as they keep coming. Simply by being the first mass-marketed hybrid console, Switch has a very wide appeal.

Yes but it is lacking in games. Most hard hitters are like 2 or 3 years old and even the rumor of Mario 3D World/Land coming out at E3 isn't really impressive. Maybe for the newer generation of kids they will have a blast with the switch but for the older folks about 20 years old we kinda seen the switch library through previous generations. 3rd party support would have helped the switch alot but again Nintendo is like apple they are going to make $$$ off the name and brand for as long as they can.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes but it is lacking in games.
Not really. Switch launched three years ago and I own about 13 worthwhile exclusives for it, far more if I add in WiiU ports. PS4 launched seven years ago and I own about 10 worthwhile exclusives for it, a number that keeps shrinking as more games get ported to PC. Exclusives definitely don't get churned out at the rate they used to, but that's the case for every platform. Nintendo is outpacing the competition in that regard nonetheless.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really. Switch launched three years ago and I own about 13 worthwhile exclusives for it, far more if I add in WiiU ports. PS4 launched seven years ago and I own about 10 worthwhile exclusives for it, a number that keeps shrinking as more games get ported to PC. Exclusives definitely don't get churned out at the rate they used to, but that's the case for every platform. Nintendo is outpacing the competition in that regard nonetheless.

You're probably a Nintendo guy. The switch is my first "hybrid device" I never owned a Nintendo consoles except for the SNES and the handhelds. I guess my expectations of the switch are too demanding. I can't speak much for the Wii I could never figure out how to work it when I bought it. Putting the games on the HD was a pain so I gave up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Fuck sigma, go with sugma.