Nintendo toolchain is "fighting us every step of the way"

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by heartgold, Nov 20, 2012.

1. heartgold
    OP

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-nintendo-wii-u-review

Which seems to backup this post from wsippel over on neogaf that he posted months ago.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38426144&postcount=705

If true, then we know why ports are running worst than the PS3/x360 counterparts because devs haven't fully understood how to utilise the Wii U hardware to its potential and Nintendo going for an unfamiliar route.

chartube12 likes this.
  2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    We know why, publishers haven't given the developers as much time as the original versions, shit some PS3 versions don't run as well as the 360 titles and that console has been out for years now.

It's funny that the anonymous developers are the ones saying this but named (and noticeable) developers are saying the opposite.

Wizerzak and chartube12 like this.
  3. heartgold
    OP

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Absolutely, lack of optimisation. No extra AA or higher texture quality. Just a simple quick port which results in downgraded performance.

Just wait for Nintendo to produce the next metroid, zelda and mario galaxy 3 to showcase the graphics and using that modern GPU which devs haven't taken any advantage of.

You have twice memory capacity, a modern GPU architecture, more cache, framebuffer, (32MB edram) and newer tri core OoOE CPU. Mario Galaxy looks stunning on the weak Wii, Nintendo magic will be shown on the Wii U too. ;)

4. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    No, no no. The real reason is that the Wii U isn't a next-gen console but a pathetic piece of junk weaker than the PS360. ;o;

But seriously, devs just need more time to get accustomed with the hardware. You don't exactly judge a console based on launch games.

5. naved.islam14

Member naved.islam14 Gbatemp's Official Dark Knight™

Sri Lanka
    I'm with Nintendo all the way, they're like a Phoenix, they dig they're own grave but they come back even stronger.

6. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    So here's a better idea - wait for Bayonetta 2 rather than daydream. :P

plasma dragon007 and heartgold like this.
  7. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    It's so weak, they should call it the Wii Useless! Ha ha h-

Whoa. Think I was channeling my inner-Valwin for a second there.

Ammako, Castiel, gamefan5 and 9 others like this.
  8. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    valwin would be proud

When windows 8 came out, everyone hated it. You gotta get used to a software or tool to progress really. Can't live in the past; IT is an industry that is ever improving and rapidly too.

gamefan5 likes this.
  9. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    How much of an effect does learning a new IDE cause anyways? Learning an IDE is not like learning a language, you just have to know where the menus are and whatnot, it really shouldn't be that difficult.

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    In some ways I can get behind that statement, at other points I remember the amount of stunningly stupid things I have seen done in game development (and I do not even play around in debuggers and with assembly that much) so if this new IDE and such forces a measure of bounds checking, type checking and other such niceties that modern languages possess (that the C/C++ world kind of lacks by default) I can get behind it (save for any cracks that might not happen).
    Hopefully there is a hidden compiler mode/set of options that allow those that actually know what they are doing to employ all the tricks, that said those people seem to be fairly few and far between.

Now if the new IDE failed to interface with the standard CMS/revision control software and 3d modelling stuff I would be more inclined to raise an eyebrow.

11. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    Why do I get the feeling that these are devs who are just initially resistant to change in their comfort zones? Give it time, and raise the issues to Nintendo instead of publicizing it. If Nintendo's serious about helping third party developers, then they should be more than willing to help out with revising the dev tools to suit whatever needs the devs may have.

12. Bobbyloujo

Member Bobbyloujo I am a millipede, I am amazing.

United States
    Man, all these Wii U posts are so grim. Isn't there anything positive to say about the console?

13. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    And you fucking hate them if you're in the X-Men.

Qtis, ferofax and Gahars like this.
  14. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    A lot has been said as positive for the Wii U, but the problem with the Wii U is the comparison to the PS3/360 which have been the only HD consoles so far. If the games for the new console look worse than those of the older consoles, there has to be an issue somewhere. Thus people try to find out what is "wrong" (= possible issues).

We'll just have to wait a few years for people to get used to something new. The Wii U SDK seems to be harder to use than the previous one :3

15. Mantis41

Member Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
  16. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Off topic but...

I accidentally read this thread title as "Nintendo cooltrain is fighting us every step of the way".

Now I can't get it unstuck.

17. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    I know that's a joke, but some people are actually serious about that, and I never did understand why. Next Gen isn't based on the specs of a system, at all. If this came out after the Wii and is a new console, then it's next gen. Some people are just stupid.

Bladexdsl and Ammako like this.