Nintendo To Let Users Purchase Digital Content Through PCs/Phones By Year's End

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Nintendo's relationship with that newfangled internet thingamajig has been... checkered, to say the least. From claiming that online gaming was just a fad to implementing the dreaded friend code system, let's just be frank and say that they haven't always been on the cutting edge.

Still, the company is making much more of a concerted effort now to catch up to its competitors with the 3DS and Wii U. They've been implementing more and more features, slowly but surely, to their services.

Now, it seems that they're making another step (or, at the very least, tiptoe) forward.
    :arrow: Nintendo Everything (More like Nintendon't Anything! Ha ha, take that, source I quote!)

Nintendo's really phoning it in here, and I mean that in the best way possible.

In all seriousness, it's another refreshing advancement for the company. Giving customers more flexibility in how they purchase their games benefits everyone involved - People have more ways to spend their money and Nintendo has more ways to take it.

So, how about that unified (or will it be U-nified?) account system people have been asking for?

the_randomizer likes this.
  2. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    You used "checkered" in two posts in a row. You're slipping Gahars.

On-Topic: Hooray! But only because it near guarantees a better account system, and hopefully one that includes the 3DS. I'd only buy my games on the PC shop if it was way more convenient than the current eShop, which I don't see as it would involve going to the 3DS/Wii U eShop anyway to actually download the game.

3. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Now give us a better account system so I can go all digital...

4. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    So, basically, I double checked?

Satangel likes this.
  5. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Good, now make the games tied to an account and not a console and I'll be happy, Nintendo :P

eyes and MAXLEMPIRA like this.
  6. Dork

Dork Newbie

I'm pretty sure if they make digital purchases possible on smartphones this will pretty much happen with it. How the hell can you purchase a Wii U game on a smartphone and it's somehow attached to your console?

7. SignZ

SignZ Timelord

Jul 16, 2008
    Germany
    That sounds good. I wonder what the payment options will be this way - I really hope we can finally buy Eshop games via Paypal.

8. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Exactly. It will have to be the other way around, no way you can download a game on a PC and have it tied to just one console. I suspect a major system update sometime.

9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    If online gaming is a fad then it's the best damn fad ever.
    Anyway, this news was expected sooner or later but I'm glad to hear it still. It's about time Ninty got with the times.
    And they really need to update the 3DS eShop to make it more like the Wii U one as the 3DS one is kind of a pain to navigate.

10. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Online gaming...cutting edge..?

I peed a little from laughing.

11. Ergo

Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 29, 2008
    United States
    The purchase would be tied to your NNID which is tied to your console--as of right now, as far as Nintendo is concerned, your NNID and your console are the same thing.

12. MegaAce™

MegaAce™ Steal back your future.

Nov 28, 2008
    Gambia, The
    If it uses your NNID then, as far as the account system is now, you can only buy eShop content for your Wii U (except they introduce NNIDs for 3DS), right?

13. Ergo

Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 29, 2008
    United States
    Yes, this is correct, since there is *no* account system on 3DS, except for Club Nintendo, which means basically nothing. (That said, I'm sure they'll at least extend the NNID to a *single* 3DS as well, if only to facilitate this.)

14. dgwillia

dgwillia The Bacon Lover

Mar 9, 2008
    United States
    Columbia Station, Ohio
    I'm still just waiting on games to stop being tied to systems, like randomizer said. It's sad when Sony and even Microsoft are more lenient than Nintendo.

Its literally the only thing keeping me from buying more games digitally. Atleast if something happened to my Vita, I know I could redownload all my games, and get all my saves back from cloud storage. Your just basically SOL with a 3DS unless they can fix it, or you have a police report or some other extraordinary circumstance.

Qtis and Rydian like this.
  15. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I second this. Now that I can buy gaming cards in my local shop it doesn't bother me as much, but not everyone has such a shop in their neighborhood.

16. beta4attack

beta4attack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 16, 2011
    The world that never was
    1) Emily Rogers saying 3DS getting Nintendo Network IDs this and teasing account news several times before it
    2) Wii U huge system update in September/October
    3) This
    Makes perfect sense :blink: