Nintendo to launch NFC figures this year

mr. fancypants

that´s ´Sir´ for you!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
hmm if they make legendary pokemon figurines for events. (of course you can only get it with the figurine) it wil sell like hot cakes. and not only with pokemon. for the new mario kart 8 the can also make figurines containing new cars/ tracks.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
I hate these figurine things. At least as far as Disney Infinity and Skylanders are concerned (Maybe Nintendo will try and be different? I doubt it). It's just a transparent excuse to make you pay more to access the game you paid for. "Oh, you bought the game but only gets you two of the characters and half the levels. Buy our collectible figurines to unlock more!". -_-

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
iam a profet? think about THAT technology + POKEMON games.. Hey pokemon fun, mortgage here...

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo dolls? I'm there. I'm especially there if they release Pikachu, Squirtle, and Golbat figures. :D If Skylanders did so good and most people don't care about it, then Pokemon figures should blow all shit out of the water. Right?
"Y U NO RELEASE MARIO FIGURES FOR THE NEW PAPER MARIO U TITLE?!??!!!??" If you're not going to release a new Metroid U game with figurines, then why not release a Mario title that people actually want and have figurines to go with it?

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's interesting how the circle closes. DLC is hard to justify for most people, but somehow physical figurines seem to be the needed incentive to make the same people ask for more. Considering the current method of NFC (Skylanders and Disney Infinity) the figurines give just one character?

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Normally, I cannot stand this schlock, but I can understand some appeal. Take some of the IP I like: Link, Zelda, Samus, the USS Enterprise D, Liara T'Soni, et cetera and bundle it as a promotional item in a new video game that actually unlocks content in the game.

Heck, it is the next logical step since games already sell the "deluxe edition" with this schlock included. Just add a radio transponder to simulate "integration" and call it a "collectible" instead of a toy.

Next thing we know, EA will be printing NFL cards that unlock features in Madden and our houses will be full of even more junk.

I know. . . I know . . . first world problems.

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know of a person who mapped all the tags and enabled the additional content for Skylanders without having the actual figurines present. The dude got a DMCA takedown and had to remove the code and findings IIRC. The tech is nowhere near hack proof. Samsung's NFC Beam is hacked too IIRC
I would like to know more about this

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't see why anyone would doubt that silly collectible crap will not sell - there are companies out there that live exclusively off of selling collectibles. Here's a thought Nintendo - do this, except with figurines or something:

Then call me after a week and ask me which continent I want to buy for my cut, I'm not giving this advice free, y'know. Besides, buying the moon should be enough for you guys.

elunesgrace

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is potential. But we don't have enough details to say one way or another really. Its just mostly speculation for us.

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
An add on for 3DS, so if I really want to get knee deep into the figurine collecting and don't want to use an add on, then I'll need to buy ANOTHER 3DS with NFC built in?

Yourstrulyxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's actually a very interesting/insightful article on either polygon or kotaku that interviewed the creators of Skylanders and they actually went to Nintendo to showcase/promote their idea! Nintendo turned it down and they were pretty disappointed by the experience from the read of it. My impression from what they said was that nintendo wasn't receptive of outside ideas. Another interesting tidbit was that Skylanders was actually pushed back a year to launch so it could mature and be developed more. Sure made them a LOT of money.

And of course the good ol' head smack from the obvious Pokemon + Skylanders combo would've saved nintendo i'm sure. But nintendo just didn't see it then.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's actually a very interesting/insightful article on either polygon or kotaku that interviewed the creators of Skylanders and they actually went to Nintendo to showcase/promote their idea! Nintendo turned it down and they were pretty disappointed by the experience from the read of it. My impression from what they said was that nintendo wasn't receptive of outside ideas. Another interesting tidbit was that Skylanders was actually pushed back a year to launch so it could mature and be developed more. Sure made them a LOT of money.

And of course the good ol' head smack from the obvious Pokemon + Skylanders combo would've saved nintendo i'm sure. But nintendo just didn't see it then.

My impression from the article was Skylanders was originally designed to be used with pokemon. when nintendo said no, they then changed things up and replaced things with the spyro family.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Gamers don't want this gimmicky bullshit, come on nintendo... you can do better than this... just un-resign Miyamoto.

Don't generalise, if you don't want it then that's up to you but don't throw in others too.

cAluoYE.jpg

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Don't generalise, if you don't want it then that's up to you but don't throw in others too.

cAluoYE.jpg

Well it's definitely not first-page-worthy news, that's for damn sure... only the best stuff should be posted on the front page.

T Link7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well it's definitely not first-page-worthy news, that's for damn sure... only the best stuff should be posted on the front page.

That too, is your opinion. I personally think that Nintendo getting their own version of Skylanders with figurines that'll be usable between multiple games is frontpage worthy. I mean, if they do it right, they could make quite a lot of money with this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: