Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendo to launch a new Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. console this November

g n w.PNG

As part of the 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros., Nintendo has announced that it will launch a new console this year. No it's not a direct competitor to the PS5 or Xbox Series X, rather the House of Mario is revisiting an old console released in the 1980s: the Game & Watch. These series of handheld consoles contained a game as well as the ability to tell the time. In 2020, Nintendo is releasing a new collectible device inspired by these handhelds and is named Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros.

Nintendo's upcoming device features a modern +Control Pad, comes pre-loaded with classic games Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (released in Japan as Super Mario Bros. 2) and a special version of Ball with a Mario makeover. Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. also functions as a clock, with 35 little touches to discover, including some guest appearances from Mario’s friends and foes.

Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. launches on 13th November.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why would they attach data pins to this one's USB-C cable? It also has no wireless of any kind. How do you plan on being able to hack it? I guess if you took it apart, maybe.
Why did they attach data pins on the NES mini and SNES mini?

Either way, 99% of these are going to end up on a shelf collecting dust, hacked or not.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
... I don't get the appeal. And my very first video game I've ever played was on game & watch.
I mean... What's even the nostalgic value of it doesn't play the original games to begin with?
(no, I still wouldn't get it if it played manhole... Gaming got BETTER since then)

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I really like the look of it, love the OG Game and Watch stuff...but $50 = strong pass for me I think. Maybe if it included all the G&W games in collection or something, or could be updated to add more games for free later on I'd grab one, but for just SMB? Nah, I don't need to pay for a 35 year old game for the billionth time.
If it had the NES version of SMB3 as well I would actually consider it.

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
... I don't get the appeal. And my very first video game I've ever played was on game & watch.
I mean... What's even the nostalgic value of it doesn't play the original games to begin with?
(no, I still wouldn't get it if it played manhole... Gaming got BETTER since then)

my first handheld was also a G&W and a completely new segment-based LCD would have been my wish. OR a reissue of the mario crystal screen. I think I am just starting to dream. ^_^
upload_2020-9-10_11-1-3.jpg

Last edited by ciaomao,

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
never played a real life game and watch i only played the Game Boy games. all i just had before i got my game gear was tiger hand held games with no color.... my fav one of those was batman and captian planet.

limpbiz411

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im chomping at the bits just to beat the scalpers here in usa, i keep refreshing the webpage. I'm going to go clinically insane because of this if only we lived in a world without scalpers.

Reactions: KarlslandOtaku

WiiHomebrew+Snes

Member of GBAtemp's shadow district
Trophies
Website
www.lucar.io
XP
Country
United States
yknow what would be interesting? if there are scalpers who scalp to be able to afford to buy other stuff from scalpers. I feel like that might happen with all the different limited mario stuff coming out.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

DerpDingus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nintendo fans " We want a gameboy mini "

Nintendo " how about we release a game & watch that has two 35 year old games and drum roll please....

A WATCH THAT TELLS TIME!!!"

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As usual I think this is a waste of resources and therefore garbage.
I'd like to have one in some way but I'd play a day or at maximum a week with it and that's it.
I hope someone dumps the stuff though as there seem to be special touches to the Mario Bros. 1 rom that I would like to enjoy in RetroArch on my Switch.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You do realize this is practically nothing like an actual G&W, right? If you want something like that, you should check out those Tiger Electronics rereleases that were announced a while back. Granted, Nintendo did have a slightly superior product - but not by much.
I know, this has nothing to do, I was just talking about the shape and stuff (not the screen which is obviously not the same) but I didn't know about the Tiger Electronics being re-released, tho I've only heard bad stuff about those so I'll pass :ph34r:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0