Nintendo to double Switch production for 2017 following strong demand

rsz_nintendo-switch-sales-prediction.jpg

Whether you like the console or not, the Switch is Nintendo's fastest selling hardware. And the console's financial success doesn't seem to stop here.

According to the Wall Street Journal, "Nintendo Co. has decided to at least double its planned production of the Switch console in the year ending March 2018 owing to strong demand". This means that they'll double production from 8 million units to 16 million! That's a massive increase from 5 million units sale predicted before shipping by analyst SuperData Research. And an even bigger number considering that the ill-fated WiiU sold just 13.5 million units in total.

These figures seem indeed promising for the Switch, with which Nintendo was adamantly betting on to right the wrongs of the WiiU, as the higher sales, rather than being a short-term money maker, might motivate third-party developers to invest in the system and further attract more consumers.

The Switch's early sales might not foretell how it will fare in the long run but it is off to a good start.

:arrow: SOURCE

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's that supposed to mean? :unsure: ET failed not only because the game was bad (and it was bad)
How to spot a non-gamer: they say that ET for the Atari 2600 was bad.

It was actually pretty good, but the game was hugely backed up and had a pretty serious overstock issue. Atari 2600 owners weren't that much interested into the game.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

It was actually pretty good, but the game was hugely backed up and had a pretty serious overstock issue. Atari 2600 owners weren't that much interested into the game.

As someone who actually has played it? It was bad. Even for an Atari 2600 game.. It was bug ridden and flat out irritating. Wonky controls, all of those damn holes... I mean.. just.. HOLES

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
:rofl2:

That's a joke, right? Because if not... Em... Well...I don't want to sound condescending or disallow you your opinion, but... Let's just say that a large majority of gamers would very much disagree. Assuming they've heard of it in the first place.I'd say knowing about the game already puts you way above average when it comes to a definition of being a gamer. But if being a gamer means that you aren't allowed an opinion on a game, then it would be better not being one in the first place. :mellow:

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:rofl2:

That's a joke, right? Because if not... Em... Well...I don't want to sound condescending or disallow you your opinion, but... Let's just say that a large majority of gamers would very much disagree. Assuming they've heard of it in the first place.I'd say knowing about the game already puts you way above average when it comes to a definition of being a gamer. But if being a gamer means that you aren't allowed an opinion on a game, then it would be better not being one in the first place. :mellow:
Please, all the little kids think it's a bad game because AVGN said so. Play it if you don't believe me. Make sure to also play the other Atari 2600 games, because everything is as clunky with maybe 1-2 exceptions.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Please, all the little kids think it's a bad game because AVGN said so. Play it if you don't believe me. Make sure to also play the other Atari 2600 games, because everything is as clunky with maybe 1-2 exceptions.
I played it back in the 80s.
I also played many other Atari 2600 games, I remember Pitfall, Frogger... well, I actually don't remember many more, I was more of a C64 guy, my cousin had a 2600 and I played when I was at his home.

The thing is the Atari 2600 had good and bad games, and TBH E.T. was among the bad games, I would take Pitfall any day rather than playing E.T., it was really... not good.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played it back in the 80s.
I also played many other Atari 2600 games, I remember Pitfall, Frogger... well, I actually don't remember many more, I was more of a C64 guy, my cousin had a 2600 and I played when I was at his home.

The thing is the Atari 2600 had good and bad games, and TBH E.T. was among the bad games, I would take Pitfall any day rather than playing E.T., it was really... not good.
Pitfall was the killer app of the system. Of course it compared better lol.

Try with Towering inferno or Combat. Great games, but not as great.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Wut? AVNG...that's angry video game nerd, right? It's very possible he said so, but I don't see how that somehow makes him wrong (or people with the same opinion magically non-gamers, for that matter). The opinion is pretty universal (in fact, we already have two gbatemp members who have played and disliked it as well).

And sorry if you like the game, but I'm not going to play the entire atari 2600 library in the odd chance that every retro reviewer and gamer of that time was wrong...because my opinion was about the general conception that the game was bad which would still hold true even if it became my personal best game ever.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i cant see sense in comparing sales to a failed system.

when nintendo first claimed this, i found it funny when it failed when comparing sales of the WII U and 3DS during the same period in the UK.

and yes this console is merging both home and portable consoles into one, so its sales should compare to both its last home and portable console.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm just interested to see if it'll become a kick-ass homebrew system! I'd love playing some emulators on the go using that gorgeous screen.
one person has already managed to get Ocarina of Time Rom running on his switch.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
i cant see sense in comparing sales to a failed system.

when nintendo first claimed this, i found it funny when it failed when comparing sales of the WII U and 3DS during the same period in the UK.

and yes this console is merging both home and portable consoles into one, so its sales should compare to both its last home and portable console.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

one person has already managed to get Ocarina of Time Rom running on his switch.

Now I know you're a massive troll. Lmfao

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
Now I know you're a massive troll. Lmfao
Is he still on here that's why most got him blocked. He spends a lot of time talking about something he hates lol. He's either a bored troll or a 13 year old fanboy of some other system.

Anyways, doubling production is great news it means nintendo is trying to meet demand instead of trying to create hype from switch being rare. It does have the potential to be an amazing homebrew/emulation machine especially since its portable.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While I am not likely to sing the praises of Nintendo's marketing department, at least assuming I were capable of such a heinous act as believing in the merits of a marketing department, to pin even a majority portion of the wii u's failure on it would seem to be an oversight so large I am not sure I can quite understate it.

So again
Piss pore lineup
Failure to secure third parties
Suspect dev tools, and certainly lack of engines
Poor online infrastructure
archaic *and* complex hardware design
Failure of a large portion of lifetime of the previous device (and the device before that and the device before that, said devices having lifetimes of some half a decade)

All of those need to be looked at almost before marketing comes into play, and I doubt even if they had Edward Bernays resurrected to his prime they could have marketed it well enough to overcome several of those. While quality may not always shine though there is surely enough that were it to be an unsung beacon of light then word of mouth alone would have got it somewhere*. Or if you prefer see all those indy games that make it big despite having a marketing budget consisting of review codes and the ability to get it on a store front somewhere, to at best a worldwide one being about that of Nintendo Australia's canteen budget for the year.

*spin it another way. Back in the GBA era then everyone here had one, wanted one or was content to use emulation to approximate one for them. Would you even float a notion like that for the wii u?

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It just had piss poor marketing, the 3DS being the main focus at every damn E3 didn't help. Nintendo refusing to do a little more focus only made it worse.
A system not being popular and not selling well doesn't make it not awesome. It's awesome because of the games i have on it . Not to mention cfw and emulators etc..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs