OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
QUOTE said:
In an interview posted on Kotaku, Reggie Fils-Aime, President of Nintendo America, discusses two key issues – relatively poor performance of third party titles on the Wii console and the direction Nintendo would take when designing the next generation of consoles.

Reggie stated his disappointment with third party publishers and lack of third-party AAA titles available on Nintendo Wii. He goes on to add that the sheer volume of the install base and the inherent diversity that it brings should be enough to convince the publishers to consider Wii for all their releases. He said, “We have a 22-million unit installed base. We have a very diverse audience… We have active gamers that hunger for this type of content. And why isn't it available?”

This response brings out the same old argument that Wii is not capable of delivering the kind of processing power required by main-stay games such as Assassin’s Creed 2 or MW2. To this Reggie responds by saying that third party publishers should consider Wii as the lead development platform since it has the largest install base compared to other two consoles – PS3 and the X360. This backed up by effective marketing will insure success of a title, he said. "High-quality, effectively marketed [titles] against our installed base will sell, period, end of story."

Discussing the prospect of extending the console’s capabilities by implementing HD technology, Reggie dismisses the idea by calling it faulty logic and further adding “that's not the way we at Nintendo do things”. When Nintendo releases the next generation of console, it will have capabilities that are fundamentally different from what the current generation offers, Reggie pointed out. The quality of video output is apparently not fundamental enough for Nintendo, and Reggie could not have been more vague about what fits their definition of fundamental changes when he said, “Simply the addition of HD capability will not be the next step for us. There will be more to it. There will be additional capability.”

What do you think guys??

Source: KOTAKU

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It really is the third party's fault here.
They all jumped the band wagon of motion controls, and sorely overlooked meaningful gameplay.
Selfishly just putting in waggle controls for repeats of wii sports and wii play, but adding in licensing and crap.

I think it's a real shame, because the Wii is perfectly capable of gaming, but the most logical truth is that serious game developers decided to go to the platforms that actually improved their hardware and did not rely on gimmicky controls, the 360, and eventually the PS3.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
and whos fault was this?
G10885_M.jpg

THIS BITCH.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Basically it means that Nintendo is to far removed from their competitors hardware wise.
Sony as well as Microsoft just bought their way through developerland. Got key support by buying it.

The "pc" consoles are easier to port to work from even if the Wii is not far removed from the Gamecube.

Lack of decent developers i mean there are some amazing developers out there but all of a sudden all the stuff that is on the Wii comes from Japan, which ofcourse means that Nintendo pissed of a few people here and there.

I mean if you are selling games and the Wii has the biggest install base why not produce something good on it.

The Wii lends itself better for the FPS genre then any other console, due to the remote, the other platform for FPS is the PC.

Nintendo was never any good at drawing developers in. And Reggie should realize that the blame for that is Nintendo itself.

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
repeatitive games are not Nintendo. They want to make something unique. Im go with Reggie. All Sony and Microsoft do are FPS bullshit and racing. Sure hardware evolves but where's the fun out of it?

The Wii is more capable of doing things but publishers need to understand how the Wii work. It's hard to explain but the next Nintendo console will be far more fun than a 1080p console

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
I think it's a real shame, because the Wii is perfectly capable of gaming, but the most logical truth is that serious game developers decided to go to the platforms that actually improved their hardware and did not rely on gimmicky controls, the 360, and eventually the PS3.

Well improved hardware or not there isn't a single game out on the platforms that shout out buy me (can only be made on a console). The consoles are both close to a real pc with _no_ value gaming wise unless you are stuck on exclusive titles that they bought and payed for.

Owning a Xbox360 or a PS3 is just a waste of money and time if you have a decent PC.

shito

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
most of the 3rd party publishers are lazy and don't want to make a dedicated version for wii, they just want to copy/paste(see brutal legend) and then come to us with ''wii isn't powerful enough" stuff.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Lawlz, Nintendo is so idiotic at times! If they can control what's going to be put on the console, they can control the amount of shovelware developed for it also.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Developers do what publishers tell, but apparently publishers are doing what developers say, just to save time in rendering and translating games to Wii platform, that is why Nintendo games are (and always be) Best Sellers in the gaming scene...!!
biggrin.gif

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
DSGamer64 said:
Canonbeat234 said:
Lawlz, Nintendo is so idiotic at times! If they can control what's going to be put on the console, they can control the amount of shovelware developed for it also.
rolleyes.gif

No, shovelware is the publishers fault.

Software must be licensed by Nintendo and recieve the "Seal of *snigger*Quality*snigger*" before going to market. The result of this is that Nintendo CAN stop games going to market if they deem them too buggy. Unfortunately this doesn't happen and we get the game that has been posted in this thread. I can see why this doesn't happen as rejecting titles will discourage that developer from bothering again and you get less games.

As to the lack of HD hardware...well that only encourages low quality games as your platform is a LOT cvheaper to develop for as less effort needs to be put into the game's graphics etc. None of this would matter if we had good gameplay but all we really get is waggle.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo decided to go after the casual market and that's what they got. Suck it up Reggie
tongue.gif

If Nintendo wanted the Wii to be taken seriously and not just rely on motion controls theyd've put a classic controller in the box too. Nintendo cannot deny that motion control is the main lure of their hardware, and there's some games where it just doesn't fit. I'm not sure how many of Nintendo's "installed base" of WiiFit owners would really be interested anyway.

EnigmaXtreme

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If Nintendo wants better third party titles they need to toughed their Quality Control program, like say a panel of 30 "core" gamers and 30 "casual" gamers, who can help decided wither or not a game should be released. Nintendo needs to teach third parties that you cant just make BS shovelware as well as games with bad controls and missing features.

D

Deleted_171835

Reggie, reggie, reggie, reggie. Oh must you continue to hide the truth....
rolleyes.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Nintendo is being an ass.

Sure, there's plenty of shitty third party games that don't have the shine and polish that others do and thusly do bad, but there's plenty that do. MadWorld bombed. HotD: Overkill bombed. The Conduit didn't bomb, but it didn't do too well. The same story goes for game after game. It's not an issue with the games, it's an issue with Nintendo's marketing. They didn't sell it as a console for everyone; they sold it as a console for every non-gamer out their.

And Nintendo is saying that it's not their fault their console specs suck is just bullshit. I'm not a huge nitpick for graphics; I mean, I've played both Quantum and Valhalla Knights and like them both, even if they are ugly as sin. But when the graphics hinder the game itself, that's a problem. Take Dead Rising. The Wii's limited graphical capabilities prevented it from being anywhere near as good as its current gen brotheren. The zombies were much, much less. That's one of the things that made it get average or poor scores. Not to mention that you won't ever, ever make a Wii game look as good as a PS3 or 360 game. And when developers want a game to look good, they don't go to the Wii. Even high quality third party Wii titles take different avenues. MadWorld has a unique visual style that made it work on a lower spec console. No More Heroes has the same deal, with its what I guess would call cell shading. A Boy and His Blob and Muramasa are both just well drawn 2-D, something that would look near identical on any system. Sure, there's games that look "good" that don't take these avenues, like The Conduit, but it still gets blown out of the water by games like Call of Duty (on 360/PS3), Halo, etc.

I'm sorry, but not having HD capabilites by the next gen is a joke. I don't care if you do something that lets both non-HD and HD games work, but you NEED some type of HD. Even me, someone who puts graphics on the very low end of the necessity spectrum, gets a little pissy when I watch my brother play Modern Warfare 2 and realize that I can't ever have something that good. And by next gen, Sony and Microsoft will be able to market their systems to appeal to both hardcore and casual gamers as well as give a good graphics engine and take no short cuts. Look at Sony now. They're marketing the PS3 as a "family" system. Bluray movies, LittleBigPlanet, it's all the rage. Imagine next gen when Sony can put all that and more to work. Nintendo can't rely on milking the casual crowd for long. They need a system that can compete on a level of Sony and Microsoft, since right now it's simply not competing. It's in its own sales demographic.

I'm getting sick of Nintendo. By next gen I'm gonna go to Sony, odds are. Hell, if I had the cash, I'd switch to Sony right now and buy a Slim.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo and 3rd parties both failed to give enough effort reaching out to the "hardcore" audience. I've never seen a Dead Space: Extraction commercial. Sure Madworld and Conduit got ads, but just a few initial shots at the "hardcore" audience isn't nearly enough to pull in big interest from 360/ps3 stalwarts. EA is crying, hey maybe you idiots shoulda BEEN making quality wii titles years ago

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: