Nintendo targets Apple as "enemy of the future"

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Still doesn't change the fact that Apple's devices are shallow in terms of technology and incapable of doing advanced gaming. Take it from someone who has an iPod Touch and tries to play some games, it's painful as fuck using a touch screen and tilt sensors to do anything in a game. Not to mention they will never have the kind of depth that the DS or PSP games have.

I think the DSi was a step towards Nintendo producing a more multimedia friendly device, though they need to give owners more support for a standard audio codec like mp3 and standard video file support instead of whatever the DSi has. It's like Apple and the whole nonsense with Flash, Nintendo needs to be more supportive of various audio and video formats with their next device in order to make it worth using as a media device instead of just a gaming device.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ifish said:
Scott-105 said:
Wow, how can and iPhone be considered a gaming console? I have an iPod touch, (which uses iPhone Apps obviously) and out all the Apps I've downloaded, I keep maybe 30%, if that, of them on my iPod. Plus, all of them aren't games either. They're only a handful of good games on the iPhone and there's tons of good ones on the DS.

No offence here, but the is also a !@#$ load of shovel ware on the DS
frown.gif

The iPhone apps that are games. have it is like the old atrie. you can go in with 10$ and walk out with a bunch of great apps. rather then bringing like 30 - 40$ and getting one game that might not be good (this does not apply to me, since i use a flash card. but if i buy games i know what i want)
Yeah and about 90% of the stuff on the App Store is a load of garbage. Honestly have you looked through the games section? Most of it is garbage, the games I have downloaded I have completed in no time at all.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The only reason why Apple is a threat is because its new and hip... Nintendo used to be now its jsut cool

just wait a few years then people will finally realize EVERTYHING from Apple sucks... except when they are bankrupt!

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but you can use the wii mote for games and nintendo emulators. jailbreaking the iphone/ipodtouch makes it a better device. No fanboyism here, i don't even own a smartphone/mediaplayer yet. If i did decide to get one it, I would choose a non-apple item.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm glad Nintendo is finally starting to bite their nails about competition. I think they were getting to cozy on their throne. They can't just put out a few casual games a year and expect the Wii to magically outsell everything else anymore, now can they?

D

Deleted User

Prowler485 said:
ifish said:
The iPhone apps that are games. have it is like the old atrie. you can go in with 10$ and walk out with a bunch of great apps.
WHAT.
Most 'good' apps are around $4-5
The only good app I've seen so far on the iPod is Chaos Rings even then, you wouldn't be sitting for hours on it like you would on a NDS game.

Causal gamer.

Don't to mention the emulators. My mum and I are getting smart phones in the mail soon; Droid-Eris's and while they're not iPhones, the same "App" style still applies.
I don't know what it really takes to define "good app", but correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like NES/SNES/GBC/GBA are doing quite well as emulator-apps? I'm thinking
that you meant as far as platform development for the actual phone[as a gaming platform], then; I'd agree that for the most part the only remotely appealing app has been Chaos Rings.
This topic interests me specifically of the brief, curious research I did into apps like Nesoid, Snesoid, and Gamoid (NES/SNES/GBA, respectively)(for Android)

Nintendo has been really reluctant to cross beyond their "boundaries" as far as entertainment goes. It's all good and well to specialize a device to a limited amount of functions and
do well in those specific functions, but what we're seeing with new smart phones w/ app stores is really that applications CAN do well even if they're not designed to be used a certain
way (example, using a touch screen / D-Pad / A-B Button). Nintendo has been really steadfast in trying to create a fun, entertaining hand-held, and in doing so, at least sentimentally,
they seem to distance their device from having a practical purpose (ie) being a phone.

I was really interested with the headline of this thread being Nintendo VS Apple. To be honest, though, I don't think all that much is really going to change. Children and gamers are
still going to specialize towards an actual gaming platform (3DS/NDS/GBA). The real question in pursuit in my opinion is what does this generation want from these devices? (I'm 20)
In the past, gameboys had pretty much a single purpose, to play that Legend of Zelda or Ducktales game. With the advent of the DSi, it almost feels as if Nintendo is getting [nervous]
because they can't as successfully address other functions as more practical gadgets like smart phones.

Another thing that may be worth mentioning is the prospect of games/phones being open-source/GNU(etc) which allows companies like Google and Apple to invite targeted audiences
(more along the programming angle) to design apps for their phone / product market. In contrast, Nintendo has been a fairly private company which Tries to address the wants
of its targeted audiences. The problem with that model though, is that, the targeted consumer audience knows what it wants better than Nintendo does. In essence, what I'm trying to get
at is that [Open Source App Development] is one of the key factors behind the success of the iPod Touch/Pad etc etc.

I'd really like to see nintendo open the development doors to the public for homebrew games and applications so that people don't have to purchase (for example) a CycloDS so that they can
run their NES/SNES/Amiga/MAME emulators, notepads and other such 3rd party applications. Hopefully the future will come soon. Ultimately, Nintendo is trying to succeed in a consumer-app,
open sourced community with a closed-door policy. For the most part, many of the recent features on the DS/DSi (touch screen/camera/audio recording) are interesting features. Considering that I own a PSP (and the PSP is near the end of its homebrew life-expectancy (according to some). Yet you still see homebrew that taps into these latent features to give developers the power to use, for example, the "go-cam", or the microphone which, may in the future give rise to more interesting perspective/developments.

To Summarize:

-Nintendo is an innovative company that excels in developing gaming platforms with intriguing features.

-However, they do this on a more private-developer/forum, whereas Apple/Android (Smart-Phones etc) are more "open-source"(using this term vaguely).

-Nintendo is including these features in their devices (ie touch screen) etc, but for the most part, from a development angle there really hasn't been all that much progress; which lends to my belief that if they were able to offer a similar sort of "Market" > developers to help innovate that they would both benefit.

-Flashcarts > Primarily for pirating, yes. However, they do extend the capabilities beyond that of which the company, shall we say..."approves of ?"
^ to be honest I personally feel that if Nintendo had more of an open-door development policy that they wouldn't[won't] have hemorrhaged as many consumers to apple(etc).

-Nintendo devices are famous for being innovative, but somewhere along the road Nintendo seems to have forgotten their responsibility to work in tangent with their targeted audience. Overall, I just feel like Nintendo is making an enemy of the overall market-majority trend whereas Apple seems to understand the ability to let 3rd party's (to some extent) use their imagination.

I apologize for the monster wall of text
ohmy.gif
. I probably won't check this for a day because it was a huge rant for me somewhat upon realization of my thoughts on Android/Apple > 3DS.

Heh, Sorry guys lol XD
-I2aven

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Apple shouldn't have ever made an iPod. That way there wouldn't be as many wannabe cool kids as there are now. They all think that because they some kind of iPod, they're cool. DS FTW!
biggrin.gif

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
the iphone is still a phone it will never be a serious gaming device. make all the apps and shit you want for it still won't change $400 for an iphone and like $150 for a 3ds whos gonna win?
tongue.gif

D

Deleted User

Wow, the plain ignorance and hate against Apple is absolutely ridiculous. Is there a word for "anti-fanboys"?

#5661 said:
For gadgetry, iPhone > DS/DSi.
For gaming, DS > iPhone.
Best post! While my iPhone is good for the occasional round of Canabalt, I wouldn't consider it a proper gaming console, ever. Just as I wouldn't consider my DS a proper music player either.

D

Deleted User

Bladexdsl said:
the iphone is still a phone it will never be a serious gaming device. make all the apps and shit you want for it still won't change $400 for an iphone and like $150 for a 3ds whos gonna win?
tongue.gif

Which would you rather have in your pocket, a phone or a DS? Fairly Rhetorical. All things considered though, my mom and I just got a deal on an android Eris set (buy 1 get one free). Phone 29.99 / Plan 29.99 / Mo. 250 text(s) each / $5=(250 texts +0.25X) & includes 8GB memory. The base line is that phones have more practical value.

In the end I just wish nintendo would part the red seas and have some open-community development like apple/android has. *sigh*. (The above details, are just to shine some light on why Phone > DS) in some contextual situations (*not* as a gaming platform, but as a viable, casual alternative).

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I2aven's_Sage said:
Bladexdsl said:
tongue.gif

Which would you rather have in your pocket, a phone or a DS?

Personally, I'd rather have a DS. Despite having owned cell phones going on 11 years or so, I probably haven't spent more than a few hours actually talking on one in all that time. I also don't really care for texting and the like... I have absolutely zero desire to communicate with people to that excessive a degree, nor do I have any actual need to do so for any particular reason. Although I'm sure the 3DS will improve on the portable internet aspect and I'll probably use it every once in a while, even that isn't a necessity for me. If I'm on a train or subway and want to check my e-mail... you know what? I can wait until I get home, or to my school's library, or my office to check it.

So for me, a DS is far more useful than a phone. My cellphones have been more like glorified pocket watches than anything.

Empoleom

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
just wandering how a PHONE with no buttons can be better than a videogame and phones will never have good games and nintendo is way better than apple because
nintendo>sony>sega>microsoft>apple

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Takeshi said:
Wow, the plain ignorance and hate against Apple is absolutely ridiculous. Is there a word for "anti-fanboys"?
Haters?

QUOTE(Empoleom @ May 7 2010, 09:33 PM) just wandering how a PHONE with no buttons can be better than a videogame and phones will never have good games and nintendo is way better than apple because
SEGA is greater than Microsoft?

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
So for me, a DS is far more useful than a phone. My cellphones have been more like glorified pocket watches than anything.

Here here, I have a phone because I need to be reached cuz I have a kid.... thats it. I txt like.... once a week and call 3 times a week (if that)

Gimme a DS over a phone anyday of the week
biggrin.gif

Also to Takeshi, Im not an antifanboy Im just antiApple.... You have an Apple and your dvddrive is broken... buy a new Mac. If you wanna put mp3 on your ipod you use itunes, almost obligated to... bugger that!

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
ProtoKun7 said:
Empoleom said:
just wandering how a PHONE with no buttons can be better than a videogame and phones will never have good games and nintendo is way better than apple because
SEGA is greater than Microsoft?
SEGA shouldn't even be in there as far as I'm concerned. They were good when they started, but now they're nothing. Only their name remains, and the little fame they made.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn