Nintendo talking with Comcast, other major media companies

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Midna, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania

Nintendo was late to the console-as-entertainment-hub game with its top-selling Wii, but a new report suggests nongaming content will have a higher priority with the Wii U. AdWeek reports Nintendo has entered negotiations with "major media companies" in an effort to possibly bring their content to the Wii U.

AdWeek's report did not indicate which media companies Nintendo is targeting for content distribution agreements. However, the news site's sources indicate that Nintendo is pursuing an online strategy similar to Microsoft's.

Thanks to its Xbox Live online platform, the Xbox 360 supports a variety of content from various media companies. These range from on-demand movie and television streaming services Hulu and Netflix to niche partners like Major League Baseball, HBO, and BBC. Microsoft has also signed deals with Comcast and Verizon to turn the Xbox 360 into a cable-box receiver.

AdWeek's report named only Comcast as a partner targeted by Nintendo, saying the company may be considering a deal similar to what the cable network has with Microsoft. Nintendo's outreach has reportedly extended to multiple cable networks, as well as online video producers.

Already, Nintendo has said that an online platform will be far more central to the Wii U than it was for the Wii. Also coming to the 3DS, the Nintendo Network will cover "competitions and communication among users, as well as the sales of digital content." The online platform will also allow for personalized online accounts and possibly the sale of full-game downloads.

Nintendo had not responded to a request for comment as of press time.

[​IMG] Source
    Interdasting

2. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    don't need any of that shit (won't be available here anyway) i buy a console to play games on :P

1 person likes this.
  3. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    At the very least it means Nintendo is putting their focus on expanding their online services. And let's face it. That's something they absolutely need.

4. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    >>Xbox as Cable Box.

With the amount of energy it would cost to run a 360 while you're running the TV, unless there's something I'm not understanding...

5. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    This is... so... 2005? /craze

6. DarkShadow96

Member DarkShadow96 LA96£

Canada
    Good news that they are no longer sandbagging with the online features.

Still remember the time when I went from Wii online to PS3 online LOL. Vast difference.

1 person likes this.
  7. paulfalcon

Member paulfalcon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just hope they improve on their online multiplaye, too. (My first and last post with the PS Vita... Such a hassle. XD)

8. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    No. Anyone buy Comcast. ANYINE BUT COMCAST.