Nintendo Switch Warez (& others) on GBAtemp

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Draxzelex, Jul 29, 2018.

?

Pin?

Poll closed Aug 31, 2018.
  1. Yes

64 vote(s)
    63.4%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    36.6%
  1. Goloki

Goloki Proud TX Suporter... LOL!

Nov 24, 2006
    United States
    Uh? The SX OS can be downloaded for free. There's no copyright on it. I say let the cracked version be freely distributed here!

2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    No, there's speculation that it contains code from Atmosphere, which would make it a violation of Atmosphere's copyright. No one knows, though, obviously

3. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    If that's how copyright actually works, it really shouldn't. You shouldn't be allowed to issue takedown notices for a teeny tiny piece of a much larger file. It should be covered under fair use in the same way that book snippets and movie clips in reviews are or how sound samples are fair game in music. It's providing interoperability with other programs. If you deconstructed the file into raw binary form, you'd find portions of it in many digital files due to its small size.

By this logic, all texture and model hacks are illegal, because they are modifications of copyrighted asset files. Rom hacks and total conversions as well. Even if all those things are distributed as patches, those patches still contain portions of modified game logic and graphics data. They are unauthorized derivative works. Why are those given a pass and we haven't shut down filetrip yet? "Because this file only exists for piracy!" You might say. My answer to that is future rom hacks. When you make changes to game files, the signature is no longer valid, correct? Precisely why signature check removal has a legitimate use.

Note this isn't a rant against you, the site, or its policies, rather against Nintendo and other companies who think they own every byte of every digital file ever created.

4. Drakia

Drakia GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2008
    Canada
    Funny enough, atmosphere just implemented IPS patch support in their NSO loader

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    If you are patching plaintext files, in place, under 16 megs, without adding anything to the end, without needing to shift things and can be reasonably sure there are no extraneous headers being added (see NES and SNES ROMs) or odd formats (see the many megadrive/genesis or PS1 formats) then I guess it could work.
    As most in memory stuff will have already been decompressed, probably won't be encrypted, be relatively static, probably won't be at the 16 meg mark (outside people having fun with include, lookup tables and incbin I have not seen an executable for a modern PC that sort of size), most likely be subject to shifts and extensive patching, likely will be in a predictable location, is inherently easy to implement a patcher for (barring RLE it is basically just destination and payload data), and if you point it at the wrong version then "your problem" then I guess it could be used for such a setup in the modern world.
    In these sorts of circles there has been a long and hard fight to put IPS to bed though so it feels counterproductive to push it on a new system when everything can still be coded from the ground on up.

6. Draxzelex
    OP

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    I agree with what you said. Copyright as a whole is pretty vague but its power is overwhelming. The whole LoveROMs fiasco is a testament to this (which I was suggested to add to this thread). Its seriously outdated and is typically used when things become too popular for their own good, like Pokemon Prism. Now if the people sitting in Washington knew the first thing about the Internet, most if not all of these issues can easily be made clear but I think they're much older than the term 'warez'.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  7. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    In the case of the pre-patched ES executable, ips would be a workable solution, considering the files are around 1 MB in size. The ideal solution is to patch the files at boot time, but if this isn't technically feasible for some reason, the other "most legal" method would be a RCM payload that dumps the necessary files from the console and patches them on the pc to be copied to an SD card and used on the switch.

8. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
  9. itsjch

itsjch GBAtemp Regular

Feb 22, 2016
    Australia
    Sydney
    Quantumcat likes this.
  10. ByteBite

ByteBite GBAtemp Fan

Aug 20, 2013
    Seychelles
    People don't read the rules before posting prohibited content (the ones they had to read when making their account) so I doubt they'll read this thread either. That said, the effort is appreciated. There's plenty of threads here with people skating on thin ice.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  11. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    That's why the first time someone shares a copyrighted file they'll get tagged here, and won't have any ignorance excuse for the next time. If you want to help, reporting any copyright content you see is extremely helpful :)

Garou and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  12. Draxzelex
    OP

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    I added explanations for DevMenu and SDKs in general under what can't be shared in case it wasn't clear already (no need to assume everyone knows everything).

13. R0B0T0

R0B0T0 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    You can most likely find the phrases “grody to the max”, “gag me with a spoon” and “totally tubular” somewhere on the internet as well, but this doesn’t mean that they are still used in the modern vernacular. ‘Warez’ is a dated term, new lingo replaces old, life moves on.

14. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    That'd be a valid argument if I had told you to look "somewhere on the internet," but I told you to look at this sites rules and guidelines. The fact of the matter is that while the term may be dated, it's still a term that anyone logging into the site should be familiar with, and it's a catch-all term that I've still found to be in relatively common use around the site, at the very least with the staff here if not most users

15. R0B0T0

R0B0T0 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 21, 2005
    United States

I can guarantee you that a sizeable percentage of those 16 and under will be unfamiliar with this term, and that gap is only going to grow. This site has expanded beyond its piracy origins, and there are users who frequent the front page and boards for reasons other than ROMs. I would suggest using a more modern term that will be familiar to those casual users who didn’t grow up with the ‘scene’.

16. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Best to bring it back then.

Maybe warez/infringing if we absolutely must.

TotalInsanity4 and mituzora like this.
  17. jungla0

jungla0 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2018
    Pakistan
    @Draxzelex you might want to recheck the main page because:

Software cracking (known as "breaking" in the 1980s is the modification of software to remove or disable features which are considered undesirable by the person cracking the software, especially copy protection features (including protection against the manipulation of software, serial number, hardware key, date checks and disc check) or software annoyances like nag screens and adware

Piracy and cracking are interchangeable because they permit unauthorized usage of the software so sharing a crack (in this case the one for SX OS, which is a FREE APP with PAID LICENSE) is considered piracy hence shouldn'be allowed.

Last edited by jungla0, Aug 2, 2018
  18. Jerry2015

Jerry2015 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    You spelled negative wrong. Lol. Just nit-picking.

19. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    If you want to make that distinction so be it, however we tend not to around here (and haven't done for the entire time the site has been around). PC stuff is not allowed because it is annoying to keep free of malware and spiders but everything else is discussed endlessly.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  20. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
  21. Draxzelex
    OP

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    There was an incident in the RetroNX thread the other day that I would like to share here for people unaware. OP publicly released an NSP version of RetroNX. Now according to the OP of this thread, that is perfectly legal to share as homebrew is code "brewed" at home and not using any copyrighted material. However packing it into a working NSP (by first packing it into the proper NCA) made usage of a leaked Nintendo SDK. And since the SDK is copyrighted, usage of it and its derivatives puts anyone who publishes such work at great risk for serious legal trouble by Nintendo. This is mostly due to the fact that the NSP can be unpacked and traces of usage via the SDK can be detected. Therefore, the mods at GBATemp have decided to remove it and will only be allowed to back once it has been packed into an NSP without the use of copyrighted tools.

Now would also be a good time to mention that reverse engineering the packing process from the SDK is acceptable so long as source code from the tool itself doesn't make it into the final product. This is how things such as libnx are created due to careful studying of Horizon and other copyrighted content without outright copying said content.

Quantumcat likes this.