Nintendo Switch version 6.0 firmware goes live on September 18th

246x0w.jpg

If you've been waiting for that mystery firmware 6.0 update, sure to bring stability to Nintendo Switch systems worldwide, then fear not. Nintendo has confirmed that it'll be pushing out the update on September 18th in North America, and early on the 19th if you're in Europe. This update is to prepare for the launch of the Nintendo Switch Online service, and will come with the caveat that once you update, you'll never be able to unlink your Nintendo account from your Switch user profile. After the update is released, the eShop will also be down for maintenance for around 3 hours. This will be further touched upon in tomorrow's Nintendo Direct.

After installing the system update planned for September 18th, 2018 (Tuesday) at 5pm Pacific Time, it will no longer be possible to unlink your Nintendo Account from your Nintendo Switch user.

Prior to this change, it is important to confirm that your Nintendo Account or your child’s Nintendo Account is linked to the correct user.
  • To learn more about Nintendo Account for your child, please click here.
By ensuring that your Nintendo Account is linked to the correct user, you will be able to appropriately manage your save data, Nintendo Switch Online membership, and Nintendo eShop content.

How to Check
  1. You can review under each user’s My Page > User Settings > Link Nintendo Account. Part of the Nintendo Account holder’s email and nickname will display.
  2. If you are not sure if the user is linked to the correct Nintendo Account, check the following:
    • On the Nintendo Account website, sign in and select the Shop menu option on the left. Compare your current balance and total My Nintendo Gold Points with those on the Nintendo eShop on your Nintendo Switch system
    • If you are still not sure, compare the digital software on your Nintendo Switch with your Purchase History on the Shop menu or check to see if you have received purchase confirmation emails.

:arrow: Source

Geezerdorf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This seems to be a two-fold attack, to take care of those who were evading bans by unlinking accounts from their banned switches, and those account "swingers".
There better be a good online infrastructure and benefits, for all i see is just things that encumber the end user, just to prevent a very few issues.

I mean, what would i do if i suddenly have the need of unlinking the account because i bought, let's say for this example, the new Pikachu and Eevee Switch? Do I REALLY have to go through that circus of calling customer support and describe even the last stuff i ate this morning?

Two steps back, one step ahead, Nintendo. In the end, it's a terrible mistake that could (and BOY it should) be better addressed!

Type_O_Dev

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am almost sure this is more to do with profile/saves and how they will backup online. This is prob just to manage encryption/decryption and what consoles can get them. Considering what has been going on with this scene this is just their way to ensure saves cant be used as another entry point.

Last edited by Type_O_Dev,

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you use one nintendo account in multiple switches?
This part I do not understand. I purchased my first Switch on launch and the second a few months later. I was not allowed to put my 1st Nintendo Account on my 2nd Switch, at least as primary accounts able to purchase from the eshop. So I had to buy the BotW DLC twice. Now my kids are allowed to have their accounts on both switches, but I had to use separate email addresses for the primary accounts. However from reading threads here it seems this is has no longer been the case and one can have the same account on multiple Switches. When did this change? Can I merge my two accounts?

Last edited by thorasgar,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

HideoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is distracting us by the the unlink thing, while they may have prepared a nasty surprise for us. I know that some people got access to 6.0 weeks before it was released but who knows what version they will release. Updating still not recommended even if SX and ReiNX said they will work with this version.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oof no more homobrew. all i wanted was fucking netflix.
Oh its not gonna completely kill homebrew. The trick with the paper clip will still get ya rcm mode so we still have the ability to launch stuff it's just that some things need to change now that there gonna break.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Remove the ability to unlock the account to fight the people who sells accounts with games that bought in cheap regions.

silvershadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe one thing nintendo trying to do is trick the people that is applying selfban (staying offline) to get paranoid and go online to unlink their switch account. At that point logs will be transfered and console gets flagged for a ban.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."