Want to keep SX OS (XCI loading+USB) & use Atmosphere, here's how:
UPDATE: Please Note I will no longer be supporting this guide and will not be answering any questions. If you decide to proceed even after my warnings, then you are on your own. I recommend you to use/find a more useful & recent/updated guide.
DISCLAIMER : I'm sure by this point you are well aware of the risks of modding your Nintendo Switch (brick, bans, etc). I am not liable for anything that happens to your switch or devices, loss of files etc.. If you are worried about messing up, then I suggest you to stop. This is also by no means the best or All-In-One guide, this is tailored specifically for users with a similar setup, depending on your Switch Model and usage, your experience may vary.
There's already a well written guide by dsync89 over at github, I would advise you to head on over and read that instead: https://github.com/dsync89/Ultimate-Guide-to-Migrate-SXOS-SX-Core-to-Atmosphere Most of the steps are very similar, SX Core in this case so If that's what you have then this is perfect for you!
I will walk you through the process of installing Atmosphere while retaining SXOS, and also clarify some things and set some expections.
Please note that I will not touch upon the process of hacking the switch, AutoRCM, NAND backups, or anything else other than setting up Atmosphere with SXOS. The expectation is that you've already gone through the process or at least have some experience with console modding. But in case you're not, there are already plenty of guides that can facilite this need. ex: (https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/), you should take a step back and start there.
Please forgive me, If there are any mistakes or innacuracies, or if there are newer or better methods. I'm sure you will let me know
Nintendo Switch 'Erista' Model with SX OS Pro (dongle).
sysNAND FW is 10.2.0 for SX OS (3.10) functionality. (Personally I don't use the dock, so have not tested the USB functionality)
emuNAND FW 13.0.0 (Hidden Partition) running Atmosphere.
Android & Lakka for emulation gaming.
Pre-Setup (Let's clarify some things and prepare you mentally):
- Can I update to latest FW (13.0.0) and use SX OS? NO, SX OS 3.1.0 is the last known version, and only supports up to FW 11.0.0 (For MARIKO Switch this is SUPER IMPORTANT!!)
- Can I use SX OS emuNAND in Atmosphere? YES , you can migrate and update it for Atmosphere usage. But I recommended starting over using Hekate to create a Atmo emuNAND instead.
- You can use tools like 'emutool' to backup your SX OS emuNAND and restore it under an Atmosphere emuNAND.
- Will I be able to play games online and access the Shop? NO, as there is no "Fool-Proof" way to prevent Bans, so this is highly discourage. Ultimately It's your device, so you can do whatever you want to it.
- I recommend setting up 90DNS and block Nintendo Servers: https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/extras/blocking_updates/
- Can I have 2 emuNANDs? SXOS & Atmosphere? YES, Please visit this wonderful guide by Mikefor20 https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...en-partitions-on-the-same-sd-tutorial.601607/
Warnings/Tips Before Proceeding:
- I strongly advise against using multiple SD cards, as the reader is prone to breaking due to its poor design. You can find more about this with a general web search "sd card reader broken pins".
- You can use Hekate's (SD UMS) feature to transfer files between the switch via a USB cable, FTP is also another option.
- Make backups, and backup those backups in another location! sysNAND/emuNAND/Titles everything!! Use Hekate/Emutool/NxNandManager what ever it takes to protect your device!
- Make sure you are awake and attentive, we all make mistakes, but some mistakes are irreversible!!
- Read everything twice before proceeding.
- This can be a long process, depending on how many things you are installing, If things don't work the first time, take a breather/brake and start over again.
Things to keep in mind:
- FAT32 is highly recommended as it is less likely to corrupt
- Use XCI-Cutter to split XCI files as FAT32 has a 4gb file size limitation. (Needs Cluster/Allocation Unit Size:32k)
- You can use exFAT partitions, but it's been reported that it has a high chance of corruption, resulting in loss of data.
I hope this guide has helped you in some way, If not, I do apologize, I will try my best to keep this guide as current as possible and add new findings when possible.
You're Welcome to post replies and start discussions on different methods or tips on how to make this better.
- Large Capacity microSD card rated U1/U3 is recommended for optimal performance but not required, though things like Android will be slow unless you have a fast card.
- *Optional but recommended* USB-C to USB-A cable for transfering files.
- SX OS 3.10 Beta & payload (cannot Link it here, against GBATemp Rules)
- Use this guide to prepare the SD card with atmosphere files, https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/user_guide/emummc/sd_preparation/, add your SX OS files as well.
- Boot into Hekate via 'Other Payloads' in SX OS's bootmenu, hekate_ctcaer_5.6.2.bin should be in root of the SD card.
- In emuMMC click 'Create emuMMC' to Partition & Format the SD Card. (Configure your setup, 1/2 RAW emuNANDs, Android partition, etc)
- Once the partitions have been created, you will need to run 'Create emuMMC' again to format the RAW partition(s). (This will copy the sysNAND and create the emuNAND)
- XCI in FAT32: Verify the SD card is formatted with 'Cluster: 32 KiB' in 'Console Info/Storage & Battery Info/microSD' . This is an issue for larger SD cards as it defaults the cluster to 64k. XCI files larger than 4gb will need to be split, and Partition formatted with Cluster Size of 32k to work. You will need to plug in the SD card into a PC to format. I recommend FAT32GUI for Windows.
- Run Atmosphere emuNAND and test to see everything is working by verifying System settings/System/Current Version, it should show your current FW|AMS 1.1.1|E
- At this point you should have everything up and running with a fresh install. 'Restart' should bring you back into 'Hekate',
- Go into 'Tools' & 'USB Tools/SD Card' plug the switch to a PC via USB cable. You should see the switch's SD card mounted on the PC, you can start re-installing and moving files/games/homebrew etc.
- If you don't have a USB-C to A cable, use FTP instead: https://www.cfwaifu.com/switch-ftp/ or just simply insert SD into a PC directly.
- Drop the SX OS bin payload into /bootloader/payloads/ so you can boot back into SX OS from Hekate, check sysNAND & XCI mounting is still working.
- 'Restarting' in SX OS will reboot into SX OS, not Hekate, so you will need to hold the VOLUP button while its restarting to access the SX OS bootmenu.
- By this point you should have a working sysNAND SX OS & emuNAND Atmosphere.
- Recommended: Install/use Telsa overlay, not many sys modules work with SXOS, but fastCFWswitcher works and is a great way to switch between CFWs/systems/emulators without having the need of the dongle/cable. https://gbatemp.net/threads/tesla-the-nintendo-switch-overlay-menu.557362/
- I've included my hekate_ipl.ini & fastCFWswitcher config.ini , you can use that as an example to tailor your setup.
- Atmosphere and all parties involved: https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere#credits
CTCaer for Hekate.
Guide written by staff members of the Nintendo Homebrew Discord Server https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/
WerWolv for his Telsa Overlay.
Hartie95 for fastCFWswitcher overlay
Destiny1984 for his XCI-Cutter tool
TheyKilledKenny for his emutool
eliboa for NxNandManager
dezem for Swiss Army Knife tool
dsync89 for this great guide over at github https://github.com/dsync89/Ultimate-Guide-to-Migrate-SXOS-SX-Core-to-Atmosphere
CFWaifu for their great guides here https://www.cfwaifu.com
And everyone else involved in the homebrew scene, I'm sorry If I did not name you.
Attempting to create a SX OS emuNAND (Hidden Partition) alongside a Atmosphere emuNAND(Hidden Partition) by partioning the SD card in Linux.
- Unsucessful so far.
[CFW - emuMMC]
[Switchroot Android 10]
[Atmosphere FSS0 SYS]
ums = sd
ums = emmc_gpt
Last edited by xYuunax,