Joseph111

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

My Switch Dropped on the corner due to it accidentally slipping out my hand. At first I didn't notice any issue, but then I noticed I couldn't boot into CFW at all. I opened the back and the connector on the board came off. Didn't rip any traces, just the connector. Is there any place I could get a replacement part for this?

I'm speaking about this connector:

Joseph111

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That connector you see on my image, completely came off. I still have the SD card clip on board, the one you can just unclip with a flat piece of plastic. But, the actually thing the SD card clips too came off the board, no damage to the traces on the board.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I got magnet wire, the perfect stuff for the job, hope I fix it. I will be following this:

I will be following the diagram that Matty posted

Hopefully this works, I'll let you know.

Remove the (dot) to see image

Nevermind, I can't post images

Reactions: Milad

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are alternate solder points but damn they are small! I broke mine too. It's a brick now. Luckily I have 3 other switches. I tried to solder the SD module directly to the board but the points were just too small

Joseph111

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are alternate solder points but damn they are small! I broke mine too. It's a brick now. Luckily I have 3 other switches. I tried to solder the SD module directly to the board but the points were just too small

But can't I follow the pin layout that Matty posted for soldering the clip back on? Just the connector came off the board you see. Yeah, they're small

Basically, following this:

https://gbatemp.b-cdn.net/attachments/sd_connection-jpg.149584/

Reactions: Agilato

Coreyosaur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like a typical molex connector, 400um pitch. I'd measure it out under a microscope and order on digikey. I'm honestly seriously surprised if the pads are still there. The force required to sheer off the solder should lift a good portion of those pads. Unless the whole board was reflowed without nitrogen or had bad flux, which would mean the whole board would be crazy fragile

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hey,

My Switch Dropped on the corner due to it accidentally slipping out my hand. At first I didn't notice any issue, but then I noticed I couldn't boot into CFW at all. I opened the back and the connector on the board came off. Didn't rip any traces, just the connector. Is there any place I could get a replacement part for this?

I'm speaking about this connector:

From the UK?
If you can't do it, @mattytrog does "tiny soldering". I don't know if he still takes orders but it's worth a shot. Also ask for him to install a Trinket at the sametime. No need to manually press all buttons and inject your payload manually anymore :P

Reactions: Joseph111

Joseph111

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@mattytrog

I wonder, someone on another thread posted this: https://gbatemp.b-cdn.net/attachments/20181121_183955-jpg.149906/

Is doing something like that even possible? As in, instrad of using the SD card pcb, you're actually using your SD card adaptor. Yeah, I'm still trying your original method for the pin layout of the SD card, but I noticed trace 4 was missing under the microscope. I posted a picture of what trace I'm talking about from your layout:

XxShalevElimelechxX

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
@mattytrog

I wonder, someone on another thread posted this: https://gbatemp.b-cdn.net/attachments/20181121_183955-jpg.149906/

Is doing something like that even possible? As in, instrad of using the SD card pcb, you're actually using your SD card adaptor. Yeah, I'm still trying your original method for the pin layout of the SD card, but I noticed trace 4 was missing under the microscope. I posted a picture of what trace I'm talking about from your layout:

Hi there! If this thread is still relevant then yes it's possible to solder the module to the testpoints (Matty posted this diagram in my thread), but be careful, these pads are tiny and if you don't know how to microsolder then let someone do it for you. Oh and avoid dropping your switch after this because you don't want to rip the pads off.

SolidSnakeUk89

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
they are quite easy to solder with a micropencil, flux and microscope but not everybody has one, also after soldering, the application of conformal coating or epoxi would be advisable to avoid anything moving away :) that is what I would do, 1 by 1, keep the board warm, low melt solder, and loooots of patience

Xyphoseos

Hack or no games
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@mattytrog

which kind of cable did you use ? I have the same problem (do you have a link to buy them ?)

Joseph111

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
which kind of cable did you use ? I have the same problem (do you have a link to buy them ?)

Hi,

You use Magnet wire. The highest AWG possible. Get the thinnest one. For example 36AWG

What happened to you? What's your story it's unfortunate.

Reactions: Xyphoseos

Xyphoseos

Hack or no games
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

You use Magnet wire. The highest AWG possible. Get the thinnest one. For example 36AWG

What happened to you? What's your story it's unfortunate.

Nothing, a day, unable to read the sd card, I sent it to repair and the problem come from the little piece on the motherboard and from the sd card reader

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: