1. FXDX

OP FXDX GBAtemp Regular

Dominican Republic
    The measurements made with the motherboard mounted and the battery installed?
    It is possible that on the tracks with the problem there is actually a short under the Tegra processor and it requires a reball. You can try a reflow to see what happens, if you do not have the opportunity to reball. I don't think the CPU has anything physical. It's probably just a matter of soldering between the processor and the board.

Last edited by FXDX, Apr 26, 2020
  2. seidolino

seidolino Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Austria
    hey!

the measurements were made without battery and not mounted, but I did some measures on a different board without battery etc.. and it has got the correct values.. so I guess it's really the cpu.

okay.. I removed a CPU in the past and I got off more or less smooth, but today I tried it on a differend board, I heated at the CPU with 400°C and some air flow and it didn't got off after 15 minutes! completely crazy, was a water damaged board. I'll try some reflow with flux. can you recommend for how long I should heat up the cpu?

thanks!

FXDX likes this.
  3. FXDX

OP FXDX GBAtemp Regular

Dominican Republic
    It depends on the hot air station you have. 380-420 degrees maximum is enough and with an air flow of 25-35%. A quality flux, Amtech 559 and working distance not very close to the processor. You start with a temperature of 120 degrees a minute then increase to 180 degrees for another minute and then go up to 400 degrees. After 6-8 minutes you could easily touch the processor to see if it moves it would mean that the tin balls have liquefied and theoretically you would have a successful reflow. It would be perfect if you had a reball station and then you had the temperature controlled with a correct diagram. You can use a diagram for a laptop CPU.

Last edited by FXDX, Apr 26, 2020
    ds34 likes this.
  4. seidolino

Newcomer

Austria
    thanks a lot for the detailed description, I'll try it tomorrow :-)

In the meantime I continued with the other (water damaged) mainboard, just for practicing. I wasn't able to get the CPU off the board again. I already got the CPU off of another board, just that you don't think I'm crazy, but I was able to get CPU off the board only by sheer force. I had to use tweezers unterneath it.. I guess there was some kind of glue, or the chip itself melted onto the board because of the water damage. Were you ever facing this such an issue?

As already mentioned I'll continue with the other mainboard tomorrow.

Attached Files:

5. FXDX

OP FXDX GBAtemp Regular

Dominican Republic
    Watch here my video, maybe can help you :

https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-bsod-fix-reballing-emmc-soc-nvidia-tegra.563266/

6. seidolino

Newcomer

Austria
    @FXDX

I did a reballing today (took me the whole afternoon :-D) but still the same issue on these pads. I also checked the pins on the CPU itself, but there was no short. So can this issue be caused by something else?

thanks!

7. FXDX

OP FXDX GBAtemp Regular

Dominican Republic
    Congratulations on reballing, but i do not understand..... Why did you reball to the processor? BSOD problems?

8. seidolino

Newcomer

Austria
    thanks :-) the switch won't turn on. I reballed the CPU because of these problems:

or please check out my post from Apr 26, 2020

9. FXDX

OP FXDX GBAtemp Regular

Dominican Republic
    Last edited by FXDX, May 10, 2020
  10. seidolino

Newcomer

Austria
    hey!

I replaced both, but it won't boot or show anything on the screen even with a charged battery...

cheers

FXDX likes this.
  11. Mattarba

Mattarba Member
    Newcomer

Austria
    thank you this is really helpful .... i fixed one yesterday by this method

seidolino and FXDX like this.
  12. Mattarba

Mattarba Member
    Newcomer

Austria
    i HAVE the same.... maybe is the MAX17050 chip?

whats a good battery voltage to boot the nintendo switch please? @seidolino

13. guyman70718

guyman70718 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    hello, I am curious as to why you left out SBU2, RX1, and TX2 from the pinouts. I found where they go, but are they not necessary for anything (docking, usb bluetooth dongle, etc)?

14. Dreds25

Dreds25 Newbie
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Hi ,
    dreds here
    Just joined and am interested in this sort of thing ,
    Done a few repairs a while ago on 360 s and a few PS4’s but I like the intricate work done on Nintendo switches ..
    have a question for @FXDX
    I have a switch with 3 pads left lol !! I tried to run wire to pads but not successful, I get 0.17- 0.20 where as before I got 0 ..
    I have a feeling I’m going to have to run jumper wires from front pins and back ones also .. I have 0 pads left on the hidden pins ..
    I see you put a bit of connector cable and soldered to that , could I solder directly to the pins , I know this is not going to be an easy task but I like a challenge
    You did an amazing job on this port , !!!! Really amazing work !!
    I’ll upload some pics

thank you
    Dreds
    4F14B18C-2C12-4E9A-B50C-772F00EB749C.jpeg C20C8984-AB08-4325-92D3-77A487233FC1.jpeg

Last edited by Dreds25, Jan 10, 2021
    FXDX likes this.
  15. Patoutech

Patoutech Newbie
    Newcomer

France
    Hi all and happy New year
    Sorry for the delay but I finally managed to repair the console thanks to you. Thanks again to you.

FXDX likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - repairing, Nintendo, damaged