Nintendo Switch reaches 19.67 million lifetime sales, software sales also revealed

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 31, 2018.

Front-page
    8uarkVP.
    The Nintendo Switch continues to be a hit, as Nintendo shifted 1.88 million units in the most recent financial quarter. This now brings the total lifetime to date sales for the console to 19.67 million. It's a strong performance, but at the same time, it doesn't close in on what the Switch sold in previous financial quarters: 2.93m and 7.23m respectively. This can be attributed to a slightly weaker 2018 lineup, as compared to the past. We can also see that Nintendo is on track for their predictions they made in April, where they wanted to hit 20 million Nintendo Switch consoles sold before March 2019. Such a goal will likely be quickly eclipsed, with major holiday titles like Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Pokemon Let's Go on the way.

Beyond this, we also get an updated look at software sales for the Switch. Super Mario Odyssey sold 0.76 million units this quarter, bringing it to 11.17 million total sales, and is has the highest LTD sales on the system. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was at 1.13 million sold, and 10.35m total. The best-selling games were the new entries--Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze and Mario Tennis Aces, at 1.40m and 1.38m respectively. ARMS and 1-2 Switch performed badly, both at 0.16m sold during the quarter. The worst sold game was Xenoblade Chronicles 2 , which only shifted 0.11m copies, though it sits at 1.42m LTD sales.

fpWB8rO.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (52 replies)
  1. AdamFX990

AdamFX990 Confused Humanoid

Jan 22, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Santraginus V
    It'd be interesting to see the split of the different types of 3DS sales. I'd wager its very N3DS heavy.

chirogan likes this.
  2. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto Vigilante

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    More people need to pick up XBC2 that game was fantastic.

3. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Hmm
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

So what does Q1 2018 mean then?

Last edited by Kubas_inko, Jul 31, 2018
    Song of storms likes this.
  4. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    I wonder if they would ever release the stats of downloads from CDN......just out of curiosity:rolleyes:

5. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    lmao!

it's good to see tropical freeze on the list. I love simple, yet difficult platformers like that one. ;)

6. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    First Quarter (of year).

7. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Did you look at the images? How did they sell 1.38mil in first quater, when it was released at the end of the second one (while not selling any in the second quater)?

Last edited by Kubas_inko, Jul 31, 2018
    dimmidice likes this.
  8. Song of storms

Song of storms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2018
    Antarctica
    Good catch!

9. andeers

andeers GBAtemp Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Cote d'Ivoire
    I second, third, fourth, and nth this

10. Varia

Varia GBAtemp Fan

Nov 19, 2010
    "We can also see that Nintendo is on track for their predictions they made in April, where they wanted to hit 20 million Nintendo Switch consoles sold before March 2019. Such a goal will likely be quickly eclipsed, with major holiday titles like Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Pokemon Let's Go on the way."

Umm no they're not on track at all. The prediction was 20 million sales for the fiscal year ending March 2019, not lifetime sales. They only sold like 2 million units since the beginning of the fiscal year, no way in hell they'll sell another 18 million in 9 months, even with Pokemon and Smash.

chirogan and D34DL1N3R like this.
  11. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    This. Hardware sales for the Switch are falling and with so few big name titles on the horizon I don't see it picking up at all. I've also seen some crazy posts about how Switch sales are catching up with PS4. Lmao. Nonsense. I still don't own a Switch and won't buy one probably for another year when there is actually a semi-decent number of good games to play so it won't collect dust inbetween A+++ releases.

GensokyoIceFairy likes this.
  12. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    Oh I see what you mean! Yes it looks like they slapped mario tennis on the end lol should be Q2.

13. Vieela

Vieela GBATemp's official thinker™

Jan 18, 2017
    Brazil
    So they basically already hit their fiscal year goal? Great! Really hope next year bring us better releases (specially the core Pokémon series, really excited for that one)

Noctosphere likes this.
  14. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    So nintendo still has a future
    Very nice
    But i just need to bring back something
    Ninty said switch wont replace wii u, right?

15. Vieela

Vieela GBATemp's official thinker™

Jan 18, 2017
    Brazil
    By the way, are the software sales only physical or digital?

16. Varia

Varia GBAtemp Fan

Nov 19, 2010
    Depending on where this image comes from, they could very well mean Q1 of their fiscal year, which starts April 2018.

Not even close, read my post..

17. Frankbel

Frankbel Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2004
    Italy
    Messina
    Ninty says: uat is wiiu?

18. Dvdxploitr

Dvdxploitr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 24, 2008
    United States
    No, they said it won't replace the 3DS...Wii U is dead...they are brushing that system under the rug pretty much...on their website, they have Switch and 3DS on the top, under the "Explore Gaming Systems" they have Switch, 3DS and 2DS listed....Stores aren't selling the consoles anymore. Even if you look at GameStop, they put in the Wii U listings "
    Important Information:
    Also learn more about the Nintendo Switch. The Nintendo Switch will take your gaming experience to the next level with the ability to play at home and on the go. Coming in 2017."

They don't put that notice on Xbox 360 or PS3 telling you to check out Xbox One or PS4...

Last edited by Dvdxploitr, Jul 31, 2018
  19. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA

Did they spell million like that on purpose? "Miilion"? :D

hamrawk likes this.