Nintendo Switch paid online service starts this September

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by Chary, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    If it is, only a few are expressing it.

2. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    It isn't terrible, but it lacks what we consider the norm for an online service.. They took a step backwards on the Switch in terms of adding people. On the Wii U, you add people via their name. On the Switch, you use friend codes again. Friend codes are not memorable.
    A messaging system and party system would be nice too.

3. Deathscreton

Deathscreton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    So I'm totally onboard with a revamped messaging and party system. The two shouldn't have to be separate from the console. It kinda feels like a hacked together thrid party solution to a shitty first party implementation. I still feel it's worth the 20 for online play however. If we were talking infrastructure issues like the only thing reliable about their online service is how unreliable it is, then yeah, I could totally understand that. For now though, I'm just confused.

4. Supster131

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    Well, most (if not all?) current multiplayer games on the Switch are peer-to-peer. I wouldn't exactly want to pay for peer-to-peer. If they turned to dedicated servers, then I have no issue.

5. Deathscreton

Deathscreton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    Splatoon 2 is a peer-to-peer multiplayer game? That does seem backwards. I obviously haven't done enough research into this.

6. Supster131

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    Yup.
    Splatoon 2 also has a slower tick rate compared to Splatoon 1.

That's why I'm saying. These are the kind of things I want to see improved and changed. Otherwise, I won't find the $20 worth it.

Memoir and Deathscreton like this.
  7. neim81094

neim81094 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2013
    United States
    I am ok with 20/yr!

8. isoboy

isoboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    I completely gave up on Nintendo for some kind of proper party system a long time ago. I have no expectations other than to pay for their online service. There will be no easy click and go solutions here. There HAS to be some kind of fucked up GUI or menus or other stuff that ruins the experience. Just wait for it.

9. DJPlace

DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

Apr 16, 2008
    United States
    wish sony would do 20 bucks a year without the PS PLUS games since there fucking shit!! (well most of the time) will this apply to 3ds games has well or switch only?

10. ut2k4master

ut2k4master Lord Tourettes

Feb 20, 2010
    Germany
    switch only

11. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    $20 a year is not a problem. They really need save backups. They should let us archive saves on an encrypted usb drive like the wii u did. Last time i checked you cant use your pc(not including the emulator) to place games on the wii u formatted usb drive. Its encrypted. you have to do it with the console its self using the installer. They really should just encrypt the entire sd card with large encryption like 1024 or higher bit. then let us copy our saves to it.

As for cheaters the server needs to be able to detect that. for p2p, the other players games should detect something like a player driving at star speed in Mario kart 8 D when they dont have it or getting starts in first or a player with inf ammo. Nintendo also has to be able to detect custom os and firmware. If they cant do anything then their is no point in charging people when there is cheating. Wimmfi bans cheating noobs. if they can Nintendo definitely can... And when you cheat your console should be banned.

12. dAVID_

dAVID_ GEE BEE A TEMP DOT NET

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    your mom's basement
    Well $20 a year isn't all that bad.
    Nintendo finally realized what makes Sony and Xbox millions from their consoles and are now getting in on the money-printing.

13. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Unfortunately this may be the reality. Would just be another service I stray from.

Supster131 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice