Nintendo Switch paid online service starts this September

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by Chary, Feb 1, 2018.

1. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Oh please, complaining about trivial things is your average frustration venting therapy.
    Let people vent in peace!

Memoir likes this.
  2. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Please and thank you. Jeeeez

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    We know it is paid. This is a contentious issue for some as free exists and has demonstrably worked for decades, and, barring certain aspects of mobile, bandwidth and server prices have tumbled while demands have not really changed.
    We know Nintendo's history, both from previous consoles and what we have seen thus far.
    We know other things to reference against, be it other services or concepts of networks in general.

Most people seem to be sticking within those lines. To that end you seem to be complaining about not much at all, and may do well to practice what you preach.

Memoir likes this.
  4. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    I'm used to Nintendo being the type of company that throws curve balls alot, so I have somewhat tempered my expectations to that of which they could pull anything. I stick with my stand that they can be quite unpredictable at times as seen with how they start off the new year with suddenly selling card board quite litearly.

5. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    They're thinking outside the box... Pretty damn literally... And it's getting ridiculously weird.

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    What does that have to do with anything? Nintendo could become competent? Certainly possible as smaller people have deployed better and larger networks in the last 12 years, though with it being 12 years of them being morons and it being another year of whatever we have got thus far on the Switch... yeah.

7. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    I'm at least a little hopefull since they finally had the bright idea of finally droping region locking

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I don't see how region locking, an artificial and trivial local software tweak, has any bearing on the quality of network infrastructure, something which is a combined hardware and software approach, necessarily distributed across the world and with Nintendo having failed at several fundamental levels which I would have fired my intern for doing, before firing myself for allowing such incompetence in the first place.
    My only ray of hope is that they finally appear to have uncoupled the network stack from the game it is playing and kicked it. Does not mean they will be competent, just that there is the possibility to patch it when said failures happen.

9. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    It's available...mostly in Japan. Haven't seen it anywhere in the States. Just as easy for them to enable USB headsets at any time they please.

Nintendo is also offering free games, and Sony/MS don't typically offer anything quality. We don't know what Nintendo's messaging service is going to look like yet, so that's kind of a moot point. "Seamless matchmaking" is a pretty generic phrase, you could say that about a lot of free online services. Nintendo's already offered discounts on Switch even without the subscription cost, and everybody just uses streaming services for multimedia or buys it somewhere cheaper anyway.

If we're being pragmatic about this and not just playing favorites, most people compare prices first and everything else takes a back seat.

10. ubergeek77

ubergeek77 Post editing world champ.

Dec 6, 2014
    United States
    I can understand paying $20 a year for a subscription service with extra benefits, but locking online behind a paywall on top of that is very much an insult to all Switch owners.

I don't have an issue with paid online as a concept. It's understandable that companies can't provide online for free, and have servers to maintain. What I do have an issue with is Nintendo charging a subscription fee when they don't even have dedicated multiplayer servers for their games. Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8, etc, all use Peer-to-Peer for online services. This means that, beyond a very small server acknowledgement, all network traffic goes between you and the other players. This is why Splatoon 2 is particularly unstable. Charging for a service that will seemingly never see proper online multiplayer is an insult.

In short, paid online with dedicated servers is fine. Paid online that is unstable, without dedicated servers, which is effectively monetizing network bandwidth that Nintendo doesn't own, is not.

11. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    That's the thing though, we're not sure it's gonna stay P2P. Makes sense before the subscription cost kicks in, but not after.

Also worth noting that P2P games still get released on XBL/PSN and Steam. Most recent example is Dragonball FighterZ. Only the lobbies are hosted by servers, but those are terrible and constantly kick people randomly.

Last edited by Xzi, Feb 2, 2018
    jt_1258 likes this.
  12. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    seems I was beat to the punch by @Xzi . pretty much what he said is what I was gonna say.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  13. SoslanVanWieren

SoslanVanWieren Banned

Banned
    Feb 6, 2017
    Australia
    Eh don't worry there will be custom servers for people with hacked switches so people can get free online.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Yeah Nintendo don't need to pay for anything really if its p2p they just want more money.

14. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend Chronicler

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Here's the thing -- they've delayed this online service a full year. If it was just them arbitrarily adding a fee on top of whatever they have now, they coulda done that back in Fall of 2017 when they were originally going to. So what are they working on that's delayed them a full year in rolling out this service? I really hope all that time was spent developing a good, modern online infrastructure. I'd be fine paying if it meant a much better network will all the bells and whistles of Nintendo's competitors. I can only dream that's what the delay was for.

jt_1258 likes this.
  15. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    I suppose ya have a point, why would they delay it if it's just to milk more money from us

HaloEliteLegend likes this.
  16. Konic64

Konic64 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 22, 2017
    United States
    y'know i seriously thought nintendo would be the only one that doesn't pull this crap on the players. Nevermind

17. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    I'm not even sure why people think that way. They've offered free online services for years. Now they're looking at a minor annual fee. It makes sense to assume this is for the betterment of the service. Rather than "nickel and diming" (that's still hilarious) the consumer.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Y'know? I wish gamers would do some research into why we pay for online services.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  18. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    look through the posts from in here, I've somewhat been on the hopeful side my self. I seriously hope they provide a great service. though I will admit, I kinda wanted it to come sooner so I could pay and get access to a bunch of nes/snes games, now that will be awesome

HaloEliteLegend and Memoir like this.
  19. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Because we are fools and have forgotten that it is entirely possible to do it well for free or via user run services.

20. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    I agree. There's already a promising incentive for the cheap service. Now we can only hope that what Nintendo is giving is a service worth paying for.

Last edited by Memoir, Feb 5, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice