Nintendo Switch paid online service starts this September

IMG_6614.JPG

After confusing reports and lots of wondering, Nintendo has finally given a solid release date for when the paid online service for the Nintendo Switch will launch. Come September 2018, the free online will end, and the $20 a year online subscription will be required to play games online. Nothing else was revealed, but more details were promised in the coming months.

:arrow: Source

goldensun87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I guess I won't be getting a Switch now. I mean, there might be decent singleplayer games in the near future. Like, a total of 3 or 4 over a span of 5-7 years. By then, there might be a working Switch emulator. At least, good enough to play Kirby Star Allies...maybe...

Reactions: TomboyGamerXL

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I guess I won't be getting a Switch now. I mean, there might be decent singleplayer games in the near future. Like, a total of 3 or 4 over a span of 5-7 years. By then, there might be a working Switch emulator. At least, good enough to play Kirby Star Allies...maybe...
Breath of the wild, Xenoblade 2, Super Mario odyssey, metroid
Huh, that was a short 5-7 years
yes I know metroid hasn't come out yet but it's set for 2018 so not that far off

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The Switch not having games you enjoy is hardly their problem.

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
From what i've seen so far the online service would have to drastically improve to make it worth paying for.

I probably would end up paying for it just to use the online functionality of Pokemon when that's released on the Switch though..
Indeed... I am almost done with Splatoon 2... and only for that game that I barely use it is not worth 20 euro a year.

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I can't wait to have the privilege to pay for Splatoon 2's awful, horrific, peer-to-peer online system that has little to no dedicated servers. Now, when I get disconnected every other match, I can have a nice warm fuzzy feeling that I'm paying for that absolutely sub-par experience.

D

Deleted User

Aw, man....

I liked how Nintendo kept their online free (even if it did have its consequences) and seemed to care about the customer. Oh well! Time to hop on the money-wagon!

Reactions: DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
$20 a month
Not bad
It's nice that you're willing to pay $ 20 per month but others will be good with $ 20 per year which is fair to be honest. Nintendo's online service is probably still garbage but for that price that's acceptable regardless. Plus, they're starting so late anyway. :P

Reactions: DrakeLyon

DrakeLyon

Console Perfectionist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could only see this worthy of my money if it came with achievements. Honestly the only reason I'm not getting a Switch is due to the lack of an achievement system.
I mean, Nintendo has nice games but I get bored of all of them so easily now. It was fun hacking the older systems and wasting my time on mods and whatnot but after awhile of having no competition or good online multiplayer experience my 3DS and other portables disappeared somewhere to collect dust. Now, if those consoles were to have an account on it with actual value to me it'd be different. For now, having an account is just something that allows you to play online, get friends with a stupid friend ID system and keep digital games that you actually decided to paid for to support development.
Hardcore gaming will never come from Nintendo without giving consumer accounts a better sense of monetary gain. Anyone can see that taking away their free online playability will only drive customers away at this point.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I hope this pay for online fails hard.
It won't. It's much cheaper than competitors and there are going to be 17 million Switches out there by March.

I hate this meme about paying for Internet twice. Glad I never did it.
If you can find me decent broadband that's $20 a year, I'm so fuckin' in. The monthly price of broadband is about three times the yearly price of Switch online.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: DarthDub and Kioku

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)