Nintendo Switch Online to launch in the second half of September

upload_2018-8-10_14-35-15.png

With the launch of Nintendo's first premium online service impending, it has today been confirmed it will be launching in the second half of September, adding a little more information to their previous prediction of just the month itself. The service will give users access to online play, a selection of online-enabled NES games, and a much anticipated online save data backup feature.

Will you be buying a Nintendo Switch Online subscription when the service launches? Are you hoping Nintendo will add something more to sweeten the deal? Let us know your thoughts.

:arrow: Source: GBAtemp Inbox

Last edited by Scarlet,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$20/year? I was expecting around $50. I don't game online though, but I did buy splatton 2 and mario kart 8. I haven't played either yet (mostly playing single player games for the time being). speaking of that, I still haven't started breath of the wild. blasphemy, eh?

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone with a Switch that isn't banned, I'm really looking forward to this. A dollar plus some change per month is a great deal for fair online play. Most people who will hack in Mario Kart and Splatoon are just children without credit cards; online play in the future will be great. If someone does cheat, it'll be one more hoop to jump through if they buy a new Switch.

The growing library of classic games is just a bonus to me.
I agree that if paid online helps deter even a few online cheaters it's worth it.

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I wonder if Nintendo has plans to add something expensive later on to justify the price. I mean something like a new MiiVerse (they have to pay tons of moderators for all kind of language areas and a huge userbase and hold it kid friendly and tag game spoilers, ... all in all much more moderation then e.g. in facebook is needed) or games with lots of user-generated content and free post-release content e.g. a Mario Maker port/succesor.
To justify what price ? It's 20 eur/year... With that price you can't expect much more that stable servers for online, not even sure that 20 eur/year will cover efficiently server managing costs.

I'm not a big online gamer, and most games I play online are PC games, so wait and see. If they offer more interesting things, why not. But for now I'll pass.

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Atleast the price is much cheaper. I just hope they wont pocket all the money. I hope they put it in better servers instead, so if you buy it you atleast have a quality experience.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't really have specific infrastructures for online gaming, no ? Except for Mario Kart, but I'm not sure. Again, please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but most multiplayer games on Ninty's games (produced and edited by Nintendo) use some kind of ad-hoc mode.

fadx

Filthy Cheater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I really wish they'd offer more games, NES is cool and all but I'm not very interested in that. If they come out with N64 or Gamecube games for this service then I'd easily buy this but I doubt that will be coming, especially considering the price.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
And for people who play Eiffel tower simulator Fornite, you don't have to get premium sub to play those F2P muliplayer games :P so one more reason to NOT sub!

Last edited by leon315,
Reactions: DuoForce

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
so where's the point? you are forced get premium sub for those stone age garbage and you can't even play them once expires the sub, GG! MEANWHILE everything on pc is free!
You didn't get the joke, 35yo make it worse as those games are full of dust and yet Nintendo keep charging for them.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$20/year? I was expecting around $50. I don't game online though, but I did buy splatton 2 and mario kart 8. I haven't played either yet (mostly playing single player games for the time being). speaking of that, I still haven't started breath of the wild. blasphemy, eh?

I'm going to have to subscribe solely for Splatoon 2. I was never really into online gaming or FPS, but that game hooked me. I have Mario Tennis as well, but haven't played online much yet. Been holding out on a price drop or sale to double dip on Mario Kart 8, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
I don't see why people are complaining. It's not like it's $50/month. This isn't like the shit Microsoft or Sony are pulling. I'll gladly pay for this service!
so where's the point? you are forced get premium sub for those stone age garbage and you can't even play them once expires the sub, GG! MEANWHILE everything on pc is free!
Did you just call the ORIGINAL Super Mario Bros... Garbage? Smh, people are becoming less and less cultured as time goes on.

aerios169

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
most of the retrogames can be played on emulatos even in your tablet or phone. nity must do a better offer for us, like Xbox..

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
To justify what price ? It's 20 eur/year... With that price you can't expect much more that stable servers for online, not even sure that 20 eur/year will cover efficiently server managing costs.

I'm not a big online gamer, and most games I play online are PC games, so wait and see. If they offer more interesting things, why not. But for now I'll pass.
Nah, 20€/year would cover server costs even if they would run the servers for Europe in expensive Switzerland, by far. Yes, 20€/year isn't much money, but it's expensive for what they offer. Server costs on PC get calculated directly in the one-time buying price. I admit that most first party Nintendo games with significant online part probably will be longer active played by many people then the average PC game (with the exception of ESL games like Overwatch and Counter-Strike and such of course), but making e.g. the port of Mario Kart 8 full price (yes, yes with all DLC but still) and then asking for a monthly/yearly fee for online play is straight-up cheeky. Nintendo not even looses money with every sold console unlike Sony and Microsoft, there really is no need for them to overprice this service to get some money back they lost somewhere else...
Is it alot of money? No. Is it fair priced? No, not if they don't add more of value to the services. I totaly understand that you probably think "If overpriced or not it's just 20 bucks a year, it's really not worth complaining about that :rolleyes:", but for me it's about fairness and customer friendliness.

Reactions: Friendsxix

Xandrid

Trophies
XP
Country
Nigeria
The price is cheap yea, but they can't win people over with such meager feature that are mostly available in the hacking scene

Bakana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think a lot of the money will be used just for anti piracy measures. Its like "Hey we want money from you so that we can ban you".

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Save backup only via online... can't wait for somebody to figure a way to edit saves on the fly from their servers or something egregious like that. Just so they learn.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Games already sold that offer multiplayer online should still offer that?

As for buying NES games again that I bought on the NES, remakes on the SNES, remakes on various handhelds, then again on the Wii and WiiU....

I wonder how much I've paid already for SMB1 and some other games ... hmm

It's not too expensive but I hoped (never expected) for something better than what we seem to be getting :/

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

problem is nintendo doesnt use dedicated servers they just use p2p so your paying to use p2p and nintendo wont even improve the online it will be just like it was on wiiu and now on switch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: https://youtu.be/e1G3aKJ3g18?feature=shared