Nintendo Switch Online NES games for February 2019 revealed

Two new games are being added to the Nintendo Switch Online NES lineup this month. On February 13th, Super Mario Bros. 2 and Kirby's Adventure will be playable to anyone with an active subscription to the service. Japanese customers will also be getting a bonus Famicom title; Tsuppari Oozomou, a sumo wrestling game. Super Mario Bros. 2 released in North America in 1988, becoming infamous for being a reskin of the Japanese Doki Doki Panic. Kirby's Adventure released much later than the previous game, well into the start of the Super Nintendo's lifespan, in 1993. Despite the late release, Kirby's Adventure was successful, and introduced the copy mechanic, which would be utilized in many subsequent Kirby titles.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2 at a time seems...slow. they're following the live/plus model, but those are two modern games a month. I get they're wanting people to enjoy these particular games so they'll want to buy the latest switch equivalent, but 2 or 3 of each console a month would be slightly better.

I'm annoyed they didn't bring the japanese game over too. translate or not, it'd still be something of interest. this service seems geared toward Nintendo newbies whose switch is their first console. which is a terrible way to design an online service.

Agreed, the way they've handled it sucks, there's no defending.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What's second party
I believe companies like HAL and Retro Studios are considered second party.
Games not handled by the main company themselves (Nintendo), but instead given to another company to develop, like they have done for the Kirby and Metroid Prime games.

nashismo

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
While I understand you, I'd like to reply to your comment degrading Sony's service. (I don't use Sony). Fist of all, the games are yours to keep, even if you don't pay for the service later. The games are cheap on PC, true, but what about on the console? I apologise, but I don't really know. Even if bargain bin trash, they become tied to your account, yours to keep, as I recall.

With Nintendo, unless you specifically pay for it every month, you loose them. Sure, the service is cheap, but even with a game, being offered through Sony costs 12$, it's still a deal for some.

No bro, PSN Plus games are yours only if you keep paying for the subscription. So no, you have nothing. Only thing that is yours is when they give you discounts on games and then you buy them, the rest is locked to your PS Plus account. Here in my country is like 80 dollars a year, fucking crazy, for that I rather buy a gaming PC.

The only console that makes sense this time around is the Switch, where you actually insert your game and that's it, you are playing (a real console). Nintendo Online system sucks though.

Last edited by nashismo,

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand why nes online is a thing and it's not a bad marketing strat for people who don't have roms (so most people). I just feel like they could make it a little more special with some shaders, AA, or anything else really. NES Emu on switch can definitely taker few shaders

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No bro, PSN Plus games are yours only if you keep paying for the subscription. So no, you have nothing. Only thing that is yours is when they give you discounts on games and then you buy them, the rest is locked to your PS Plus account. Here in my country is like 80 dollars a year, fucking crazy, for that I rather buy a gaming PC.

The only console that makes sense this time around is the Switch, where you actually insert your game and that's it, you are playing (a real console). Nintendo Online system sucks though.
Then, I apologise for my mistake. I was under the impression that it worked differently. But still, it's a recent game.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I wonder how many people actually keep buying the same VC titles over and over again on different Nintendo systems. The whole fact that people don't get access to their previously bought titles on newer systems just seems so incredibly greedy from Nintendo's side.
At least you could play your old VC on vWii and they had discounted upgrades to Wii U VC to get extra features like gamepad play. But even if you weren't willing to pay for that the games would work just the same as they had on vWii.
I agree though, there should be crossplay, not just for VC games but also for retail games released on both Wii U and Switch (which there are quite a few of) or at the very least a heavy discount on the Switch version if you already own the Wii U version, something like 50-75%. My Nintendo accounts can already be linked with NNIDs so it would be a simple thing to add a discount on Switch eShop if you either own the digital version on Wii U, or register the physical copy's serial number on their website.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
While I understand you, I'd like to reply to your comment degrading Sony's service. (I don't use Sony). Fist of all, the games are yours to keep, even if you don't pay for the service later. The games are cheap on PC, true, but what about on the console? I apologise, but I don't really know. Even if bargain bin trash, they become tied to your account, yours to keep, as I recall.
PSPlus would be a lot better if they offered four games per month and you got to choose two out of the four to keep. As it is with the random selections, it would be quick to fill up my library with junk that I'm never gonna play, and/or a lot of games I already own on other platforms. I prefer to curate my own library, and I'd prefer to pay nothing for online services, but since I play Smash Ultimate obsessively and Nintendo's service is by far the cheapest, it made my decision easy.

DrNeroCF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't see the point in complaining about the selection when the emulator itself remains an absolute dumpster fire (all the extra trash they throw on screen, game desaturation, no remappable inputs).

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kirbys adventure is good. I have a Mint factory sealed copy.
I remember how hard it was for my parents to get a copy of mario 2 when it was released...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Many such cases.