Nintendo Switch Online NES games for February 2019 revealed

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    These are good additions, it's just that NES doesn't have a lot that's worthwhile to play in 2019. All the more reason they need to go ahead and release SNES support ASAP, it has a lot more games that still hold up to this day.

Glyptofane and Xabring like this.
  2. leafeon34

leafeon34 My profile picture is ugly

Sep 30, 2014
    Greece
    Elysium
    I think that regardless of the system offering retro games isn’t a good idea because Nintendo’s emulators aren’t as good as others which are already available for free. The existence of the NES and SNES classic make things worse. They should come up with other incentives like exclusive discounts to subscribe to their online service.

DuoForce likes this.
  3. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Regular

Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    Meanwhile PSPlus gets for honor and hitman. Nintendo step up your game!

4. Xabring

Xabring GBAtemp Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    Mexico
    Somewhere, Earth.
    Or a direct! I don't know about the other games!

5. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Nintendo aren't marketing toward people who will hack their Switches to get free emulators on them, though. And I don't see how NES/SNES Classic make things "worse," they still cost $100+ each and don't give you truly portable play like Switch does.

Lol, For Honor has been offered free on PC a lot already, and that's without having to pay any subscription cost. Hitman is hella cheap right now too, about $12, or you can get Absolution and Blood Money with it for about $20. For my money, PSPlus doesn't typically offer anything good or new enough to justify its cost, especially at 3x what Nintendo is asking. It's usually bargain bin third-party stuff.

Last edited by Xzi, Feb 6, 2019
  6. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    there are people who are excited for 30 years old games??

DuoForce likes this.
  7. Steena

Steena GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 13, 2009
    Italy
    enough to justify them releasing roms with an eyedropper as if they were making the games from scratch, apparently
    they themselves are bolstering the concept of immense value of their 20kb retro roms, i imagine the audience who doesn't really go on the internet to research stuff is reeled in

they are scared shitless of the fact that if they give everything once, they will need to at least match that offer for next gens, or it'll cause an ever bigger controversy than now. funny how shock values are more important than the actual values.
    i guess as long as they have enough rom-whales they can keep the system going like it is. And as usual, their deterrents are pokemon, splatoon and smash - if you are a hyper nintendo fan you aren't giving those up for principles or other stupid grown ups concepts. gamers are really terrible at establishing lines for what corporate behavior they'll allow. you dangle smash in front of them and they'll accept getting fucked in the ass probably. rabid fans gonna be rabid fans.

Sakitoshi and Minox like this.
  8. DaveLister

DaveLister GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 27, 2018
    Afghanistan
    lv426
    Shinia Twain said it best "That don't impress me much".

9. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland but the nightmare is stiff controls and bad graphics.

10. Taffy

Taffy If specified, this will replace the title that...

Mar 3, 2017
    United States
    Student
    I KNEW WE'D GET KIRBY'S ADVENTURE

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

JustANoob;) likes this.
  11. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    Yeah, I wouldn't normally keep buying the same games over and over. I might have bought some game twice, I can't really remember... However, I feel I would make an exception for the Switch just for the sheer convenience of playing it properly handheld.
    I mean, Golden Sun 1 and 2, handheld on the Switch? Yes Puh-lease!

12. chr0m

chr0m GBAtemp Regular

Oct 9, 2007
    Australia
    Drip feeding 30 year old games once a month. Yawn. Nintendo Online is such a waste of money

Meteor7 likes this.
  13. SexySpai

SexySpai xdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    your mom lol
    Ffs just give us mega man

14. Idontknowwhattoputhere

Idontknowwhattoputhere Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    just download the rom and play it with retroarch

15. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    While I understand you, I'd like to reply to your comment degrading Sony's service. (I don't use Sony). Fist of all, the games are yours to keep, even if you don't pay for the service later. The games are cheap on PC, true, but what about on the console? I apologise, but I don't really know. Even if bargain bin trash, they become tied to your account, yours to keep, as I recall.

With Nintendo, unless you specifically pay for it every month, you loose them. Sure, the service is cheap, but even with a game, being offered through Sony costs 12$, it's still a deal for some.

16. crabycowman123

crabycowman123 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2018
    United States
    In Japan do they get Doki Doki Panic (named SMB2 in US) or Super Mario Bros. 2 (named lost levels in US)?

17. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

pip Contributor
    Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    It's not as if I don't like these two games, but Nintendo really isn't making a single effort to bolster the value of this paid service. Online is spotty at best, Smash matches are like shouting instructions to a partially deaf robot, it seems like Nintendo is allergic to giving us anything other than peer-to-peer, and then they give us half a spoonful of geriatric NES games a month as if they're presenting to us prized jewels.

Their emulator gives a smattering of save state slots and has a debatably "alright" 4 frames of input lag (unless playing them online, god save you), but even without considering the fact that a free alternative offering shaders, next-frame input lag, more save states, controller configuration (why can't NES online even manage that?), and much more exists, Nintendo's showing would still be laughable at best. It's like they don't think they should have to make an effort to be competitive, either due to their ego because of their pedigree or because they consider the 3rd-party emulation/modification of their consoles to be unethical, so they've just decided they won't make an effort.

Karones and Jonna like this.
  18. ut2k4master

ut2k4master Lord Tourettes

Feb 20, 2010
    Germany
    they get the same game, so super mario usa

19. Owenge

Owenge *Autistic Screams*

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    ◤__◥
    Nintendo: we have NES games!
    Homebrew community:hold my beer, watch this :gun:

20. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    2 at a time seems...slow. they're following the live/plus model, but those are two modern games a month. I get they're wanting people to enjoy these particular games so they'll want to buy the latest switch equivalent, but 2 or 3 of each console a month would be slightly better.

I'm annoyed they didn't bring the japanese game over too. translate or not, it'd still be something of interest. this service seems geared torward Nintendo newbies whose switch is their first console. which is a terrible way to design an online service.

Last edited by osaka35, Feb 6, 2019
    Karones and the_randomizer like this.