Nintendo Switch Online NES emulator hacked to add more games

upload_2018-9-20_21-3-4.png

The Nintendo Switch Online service's NES emulator has already been hacked within hours of release and you can add your own games to the already existing ones pretty easily. Anyone should be able to replicate the process with instructions. Apparently the software used in the app is a direct port of the NES Classic Mini, which makes it very easy to fiddle with.

:arrow: Source - Twitter

Last edited by smileyhead,

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I think adding online to Nes/Snes is not as easy as the hacker in there makes it sound. The frame/sound must run in sync. Reading inputs alone makes desynced gameplay anyway. So I think there was some work behind the "online" part of an emulator such as this one.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think adding online to Nes/Snes is not as easy as the hacker in there makes it sound. The frame/sound must run in sync. Reading inputs alone makes desynced gameplay anyway. So I think there was some work behind the "online" part of an emulator such as this one.
That's not what this is about though

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
That's not what this is about though
I have been coding online for emus for a while, so I know what I am talking about. Don´t really care if that is what this is about or not, i´m afraid ;-)

also, the only ones who can really appreciate the effort behind coding, is those who have coded something in similar scale. Otherwise it´s just an opinion without real feedback.

Last edited by Coto,

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know PocketNES (which obviously isn't online) just sent key inputs over the link cable. You basically crossed your fingers that input was synced (or relied on one system being correct). Not really sure there is a proper way to add online play with NES/SNES which actually makes sense. The closest I can think of is the DOOM way--sync to every frame--, but that sounds horrible.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
The DS uses the VCOUNT interrupt right before a VBLANK, and a range of VCOUNT lines to sync PPU´s. So obviously there will be lag. And with lag, both the host and the client must be capable of syncing if a desync happens. (some kind of frame prediction). Now imagine that over internet.

There is people that preffer TCP over UDP, UDP + Frame prediction algorithm is perfect for me. Because TCP is blocking by nature

Last edited by Coto,

HOv

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so they knew the nes mini was hacked and yet they used the same emu on the switch? how fucking stupid is nintendo these days! :lol:
I don't think it's them being stupid. Of course they know the NES classic was hacked, how can they not when most people bought it because it can be hacked. They are well aware trust me. I think it was a lot easier to port it rather than making a completely different one. I get this feeling that Nintendo knows all about he hacking stuff but doesn't really care because it actually helps with hardware sales. For me as an example, I only bought the switch because it can be hacked

bunny_wabbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Wouldn't be surprised if they just downloaded the .nes files from Emupar**ise and copy pasted it to Switch :D
Actually, I think they have a history of doing that. I can't remember specifics though.
Or was that another company...?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse