Nintendo Switch Online membership numbers revealed; over 9.8 million users have signed up

switch-online-625x352.png
Nintendo's first foray into the world of paid subscription service online has been an interesting ordeal, to say the least. With just only half a year having gone by since the launch of the Nintendo Switch Online service, we've gotten our first look at some official numbers as released in Nintendo's fiscal year report. Over 9.8 million users worldwide have signed up for and bought a membership for Nintendo Switch Online. This figure excludes those who only used free trials, but it does include family membership users as individuals. Not only that, but out of those 9.8 million or so, a massive portion of those players, 2.8 million, have downloaded and played Tetris 99.

Are you part of that number of people paying for online, cloud saves, and NES titles?

:arrow: Source

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Yes, I paid for it, then hacked my switch and I can't use my subscription as I'm banned XD
Oh no. Think of all the NES games you are missing out on. Oh, wait... ;)

In other news, there are 10 mio suckas in this world. ;)
(Now the hard part is to find out how many of them play Fortnight. ;) )

Last edited by notimp,

Manurocker95

Game Developer & Pokémon Master
Trophies
Website
manuelrodriguezmatesanz.com
XP
Country
Spain
Oh no. Think of all the NES games you are missing out on. Oh, wait... ;)

In other news, there are 10 mio suckas in this world. ;)
(Now the hard part is to find out how much of them play Fortnight. ;) )
I complain more for not being able to play online. I'll have to buy the revision for playing bought games online

Manurocker95

Game Developer & Pokémon Master
Trophies
Website
manuelrodriguezmatesanz.com
XP
Country
Spain
How only offered me 3 months my prime ends next week
Here it says 'Claiming the offer will give you 3 months of Nintendo Switch Online, but once 60 days have passed, and considering that you're still an active Amazon Prime member, you'll be able to claim the rest of the year-long subscription'. You will have to go back to redeem the rest after some time

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a membership because it seems I like throwing away money.
I had one before on my Xbox One and I think I played online less than ten times on that year.
I think I have perhaps played one race on MK8DX since getting the membership back on day 1.
I guess I should get a PSN membership next, in order not to use it.

Meh... I am sure I played MK8 and SSB4 online more times back on the Wii U.
What a waste of money... but why?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone doesn't have mario tennis aces, don't forget to try this. It includes 7 day free trial of Nintendo online. :ninja:

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info. Now I can actually try to calculate the value Nintendo is getting out of SMB (per the Commodore 64 port of SMB). At $20/user, that's $196 million. Presuming 95%* of the value of the service is not the free games, that means the value of all the games is $9.8 million. Since there's ~40 NES games currently and presuming the value of the games are equal*, that translates into a value of ~$245,000. Not bad, really.

* Numbers clearly made up on my end. Feel free to run your own scenarios to get some idea of how much Switch Online's SMB has contributed to Nintendo's bottom-line.

Last edited by kuwanger,

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the info. Now I can actually try to calculate the value Nintendo is getting out of SMB (per the Commodore 64 port of SMB). At $20/user, that's $196 million. Presuming 95%* of the value of the service is not the free games, that means the value of all the games is $9.8 million. Since there's ~40 NES games currently and presuming the value of the games are equal*, that translates into a value of ~$245,000. Not bad, really.

* Numbers clearly made up on my end. Feel free to run your own scenarios to get some idea of how much Switch Online's SMB has contributed to Nintendo's bottom-line.
did you work for atari :lol:

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

I know numbers are made up, but I would say the value they "would get from each NES game" is not at all divided in equal parts. I mean, from the 40 games sure SMB would "catch more attention" than the average and constitute more than 1/40 of the total value.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse