Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack pricing information revealed

n so.png

After the existence of a new tier for Nintendo Switch Online was revealed during the previous Nintendo Direct, new information regarding the service was announced today. Nintendo Switch Online's Expansion Pack, which includes Nintendo 64 and SEGA Genesis games, along with the newly-announced paid DLC for Animal Crossing New Horizons, will be included in the plan, which will cost players $49.99 for a year's worth of membership--almost on par with the cost of Xbox Game Pass or PlayStation Plus per year. That's also more than double the price compared to the original cost of NSO's base tier plan, which is currently $19.99. If you want a yearly family membership of the Expansion Pack, you can expect to pay $79.99. Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack launches October 25th.

:arrow: Source

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
I'm okay with this!

At that price, even the Canadian increased price, is less each month than how much I pay for my bank account. It's the same amount I pay each month just to have ink in my printer. I pay for one lunch and I've already spent more on that than on this service.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People can get mad all they want but the animal crossing crowd will eat this BS right up.
Not all of us! I might buy the Animal Crossing DLC. For me that's a one time 75 dollar payment (I'm covering 3 switches here), not 80 dollars a damn year. Hell, I haven't even got around to the Splatoon 2 DLC. You'd think that they would just add all DLC to their service. That might make the service nearly worth the price. What kills me is that we still don't have a dedicated web browser, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, some music apps, Philo or YouTube TV. For fucks sake Nintendo, add some more damn value to my console! Even Wii U had better media options!

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I'm not okay with it. This is only because of the REQUIRED AC paid DLC... I understand the pricing might go up depending on license fees (Rare and Sega) Rare because of BK and hopefully other games. But I really see you have to pay the same price next year even if you already own the AC DLC that is bundled with it, so REQUIRED....

If Nintendo reads this, yes. The complaints are legit, not just from people that don't want to pay.
And ofcourse there are a handful of people who aren't interested in the REQUIRED AC DLC, but are in N64...

Lodad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has discovered the magic of bundling!

All my N64 controllers have a limp stick, so an improved one would be great but.... the N64 controller is still the worst-designed controller NIntendo ever made. Maybe for collectors or purists, but for actually playing N64 games I'd much prefer an xbox-style gamepad, or even just the joycons.
At least a gamecube style, the octagon bounding is used for some glitch setups in games for people who like to goof around or speedrun.

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm just going to get a quote I saw on Facebook that sums up my feeling about it
Funfact:

Here in Brazil the new Switch Online subscription is actually 2.5x more expensive than the annual PS Plus. (And on Plus many people here share the subscription with a friend or someone in the family, so it would be 50 R$ for each one, which in the current conversion would give only 9.16$ for a year )

If you guys from rich countries are finding the new price bad, imagine here in Brazil where Nintendo games are already more expensive than Xbox and PS ones and don't even have translation into our language ( not to mention that PS and Xbox have promotions almost every week, Nintendo games rarely go on sale here and cost almost half a salary a month ), imagine paying more for a service that offers less in a company that demonstrates not caring that much for your country.

My point is, if it's bad for you guys, it's much worse for others, it's really hard to be a Nintendo fan here in my country.

PlusSwitch.png

DarknessPlay3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm okay with this!

At that price, even the Canadian increased price, is less each month than how much I pay for my bank account. It's the same amount I pay each month just to have ink in my printer. I pay for one lunch and I've already spent more on that than on this service.
The fact your "ok" with paying for banking (and the fact you apparently do); says everything...

I haven't had to pay anything to keep "my money" in the bank for a long time now...

The Canadian increased price point just further de-values what your paying for, especially when you compare with other similar subscription based offerings.

This is easily double the price it should, but then again it's this mentality that is furthering the gap between the haves and have nots.

One more reason to sail the high seas I guess.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact your "ok" with paying for banking (and the fact you apparently do); says everything...

I haven't had to pay anything to keep "my money" in the bank for a long time now...

The Canadian increased price point just further de-values what your paying for, especially when you compare with other similar subscription based offerings.

This is easily double the price it should, but then again it's this mentality that is furthering the gap between the haves and have nots.

One more reason to sail the high seas I guess.

Here is the thing it's optional you can still pay the $20 a year (which I'm doing) I don't need the retro stuff I have plenty options of playing retro games.

On the flipside if Nintendo let you play the games offline and etc.. and update the libary each month then it would be a good tradeoff with people who don't get into emulation etc.. etc..

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
The audacity of this bitch lol

At least offer some competitive features, it's sad to know the majority will fall for it just for the loyalty of the brand itself, so Nintendo knows very well people will still take out their money.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The audacity of this bitch lol

At least offer some competitive features, it's sad to know the majority will fall for it just for the loyalty of the brand itself, so Nintendo knows very well people will still take out their money.
I mean, do Nintendo even have half of Switch owners on board with the paid online subscription to begin with? Last I checked they were well behind Sony and Microsoft for that adoption rate.

Edit: Google says about 29% of Switch owners are subscribed to NSO at the current price, but that may be somewhat outdated.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I mean, do Nintendo even have half of Switch owners on board with the paid online subscription to begin with? Last I checked they were well behind Sony and Microsoft for that adoption rate.

Edit: Google says about 29% of Switch owners are subscribed to NSO at the current price, but that may be somewhat outdated.
In any case, everyone who is subscribed currently, or will keep their subscription, or consider buying one, will certainly fit in that observation.

As for myself, it's a good time to just not bother anymore, it would just make me go and cancel the subscription, lol
Being reasonably priced or actually justified I can understand, however, but there, it's clearly a game of "stretch the elastic band the most until you break it, and keep the last known amount that stays whole" lol

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
In any case, everyone who is subscribed currently, or will keep their subscription, or consider buying one, will certainly fit in that observation.
It does seem designed to milk more money out of the few whales who just don't give a fuck, since they know expanding the subscriber base would take actual effort on their part.

As for myself, it's a good time to just not bother anymore, it would just make me go and cancel the subscription, lol
I just renewed probably for the last time so I can play Mario Party Superstars online for a while. Cost me $14 for a year after I used my gold coins.

Reactions: DarknessPlay3r

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night