Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack pricing information revealed

n so.png

After the existence of a new tier for Nintendo Switch Online was revealed during the previous Nintendo Direct, new information regarding the service was announced today. Nintendo Switch Online's Expansion Pack, which includes Nintendo 64 and SEGA Genesis games, along with the newly-announced paid DLC for Animal Crossing New Horizons, will be included in the plan, which will cost players $49.99 for a year's worth of membership--almost on par with the cost of Xbox Game Pass or PlayStation Plus per year. That's also more than double the price compared to the original cost of NSO's base tier plan, which is currently $19.99. If you want a yearly family membership of the Expansion Pack, you can expect to pay $79.99. Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack launches October 25th.

:arrow: Source

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's subjective.
dude, it's actually objective that ever since furukawa became CEO nintendo has become WAY worse. game quality degraded, they got even more greedy with their practices, and they're even more tonedeaf. i dont see how anyone still likes them after 2019 & 2020

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dude, it's actually objective that ever since furukawa became CEO nintendo has become WAY worse. game quality degraded, they got even more greedy with their practices, and they're even more tonedeaf. i dont see how anyone still likes them after 2019 & 2020

I don't know what to tell ya

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm, also around the time Reggie left.

cd85c8e7d3e51e5e2fb5bdcc24934ba570e65500.gif

Reactions: 64bitmodels

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I never paid for NSO, since online paywalls are inherently shitty anti-customer practices that utterly fail to benefit said customer in any way, but this is utterly ridiculous.

Ideally, Nintendo would love for us to pay this exorbitant price for a service that barely offers anything worthwhile1, as well as Pokémon Bank and HOME2. Yeah, bugger that, mate.

1 (unlocks online multiplayer for the console's games - are we supposed to applaud this? NES and SNES and now N64 games; great, except that most of 'em are on the 3DS/Wii U as well and can be bought individually, or are easily emulated for free. That stupid phone app I've never heard anyone talk about)
2 (which are similarly hideously overpriced, since Poké-data takes up mere megabytes; any cheapo USB stick can store thousands of Pokémon, as proven by PKHeX, and PokeGen before it, and Pokesav before that. The only things Bank and HOME offer are transferring from previous generations, and for HOME, actual GTS service - except that PKHeX can do transferring just fine by dragging and dropping or opening a Pokémon file, and the GTS should be in the actual games like it used to be, back on the 3/DS lines)

Reactions: Dani Dandelion

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not complaining because they still have the base $20 online and that's all I need.

I mean if they wanna charge extra and give more games out each month it will not be so bad

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I miss when Nintendo were on top and didn't feel they needed to take a poor man's copy cat approach.

Fir a very, very long time now, Nintendo have been embarrassingly behind the times. Now they've sold a lot if handheld again, they feel they can jump straight to charging the same as Sony and Microsoft? (Microsoft are the only company who currently offer a service which warrants charging).

Terrible service, which some cheap, very old tat, tacked on. The uptick in profits from this will pay fir that measly dlc and much more, they'll then be able to profit from further sales of the dlc to those who don't take this teir.

Overall, this teir is what they will be enforcing in a couple of years, when they remove the lower teir. Just when you think Nintendo can't get any worse........

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

Ampersound

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Guess it's time to quote Gabe Newell again:
“The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting antipiracy technology to work. It’s by giving those people a service that’s better than what they’re receiving from the pirates.”

I don't see where Nintendo is offering a good service here.
How about selling VC games again, and actually tying the purchases to a Nintendo account?
Allowing you to log into your account from any modern Nintendo device and be able to play your games? 3DS included ofc.
And there should be an offline mode, always available for the games that were bought from the account of your last login.

Ffs i just wanna lie in bed and play some DK64.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo becoming like sony and xbox now. we should of saw this ahead of time. also i would rather play the retro games with random's also want to play them off line. stupid nintendo...

Reactions: 64bitmodels

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The N64 controller sold out in like an hour.

I'm so pissed. Now it's going to be scalped for $150+
I wanted those too. I didn't even know about them until it was too late. however, I wouldn't worry. it says "temporarily out of stock." one thing Nintendo has been good at lately is restocking supplies, especially amiibos. I had notifications telling me when the metroid amiibos were back in stock, because they went on sale on like June 25th originally. people were asking for $90 on ebay, but if you just waited until the day of dread's release, tons of stock for them. I was getting notifications like every five minutes, so eventually I had to leave the channel. I had already bought the amiibos anyway, just too lazy to turn it off on both the pc and the phone. unfortunately, I tried looking for the n64 controllers yesterday, to receive notifications for them, but they're not listed, probably because it's Nintendo only.

Reactions: LSDMTHC

sley

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Might try it out for one month but no way I'm paying this much for a year.
Really hope that the casual crowd doesn't eat this up so we can get a price drop in the future.

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things