Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack pricing information revealed

n so.png

After the existence of a new tier for Nintendo Switch Online was revealed during the previous Nintendo Direct, new information regarding the service was announced today. Nintendo Switch Online's Expansion Pack, which includes Nintendo 64 and SEGA Genesis games, along with the newly-announced paid DLC for Animal Crossing New Horizons, will be included in the plan, which will cost players $49.99 for a year's worth of membership--almost on par with the cost of Xbox Game Pass or PlayStation Plus per year. That's also more than double the price compared to the original cost of NSO's base tier plan, which is currently $19.99. If you want a yearly family membership of the Expansion Pack, you can expect to pay $79.99. Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack launches October 25th.

:arrow: Source

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can emulate these consoles on 10 different devices I own but maybe this just isn't something for me. My brother would probably enjoy some of this and many others who aren’t as proficient at computers and emulation as those of us here so it’s good to remember that.

Now that being said… I still think this is too much money to be asking for what you get. At $30 more, Nintendo should be telling you what you’ll get over the next year with the subscription as they do with paid game expansions.

Reactions: Xzi

DudderButter

Cheesehead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back to emulation!
Oh wait...I've always been using it!

I only started to pay monthly when Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled came out. $4 isn't bad but I really wish I didn't have to pay for the first place. But $50 a year for online (and it's benefits)? For a handful of older-gen games? Oh, and pointless AC DLC? That's pretty steep, Nintendo.

I'm fine if people are happy with this. Regardless, there's going to be people who buy into it. But wow, it would be way more reasonable to upload the whole library of titles onto the service.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
LMAO two and a half times the price of a standard membership?! Someone at Ninty's been hitting the crack pipe. Hard pass. I'll just emulate a much larger library of classics on my Steam Deck and/or stick to playing on original hardware.

DKAngel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah i wont be payin that either, whilst i have 3 switches i feel ive given ninty enough of my money already will be even more expensive in au thinking maybe its time to chip my switch lite once the chips come down in price

Reactions: LSDMTHC

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had they announced this without the DLC included, I would have presumed the price as justified. Now, even if they removed it, I can only see the reasoning for said price is because of the DLC. DLC to a game that I don't personally own, so why would I pay so much extra for something I have no ability or intent to use?

If they dropped the price down by $10, I'd have a good reason to get the expansion pass, but unless they give better offerings, I'll go for the Hard Pass instead.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LMAO two and a half times the price of a standard membership?! Someone at Ninty's been hitting the crack pipe. Hard pass. I'll just emulate a much larger library of classics on my Steam Deck and/or stick to playing on original hardware.
nah its just furukawa working his sweet magic
man ever since he was appointed new CEO nintendo has been doing so amazing, way better than the iwata era for sure

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m not paying for this, it should have just been $5-$10 more. All I really wanted from this was online n64 if that’s really possible. Can’t really say if retroarch was ever good with online n64, that’s why I don’t believe nintendo would have been good but I guess I’ll find out from people that pay for this service.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Man, am I glad I use unofficial emulators that actually have useful features and can play without that POS GUI
RetroArch on Steam, baybee! It's like Valve can see into the future.

nah its just furukawa working his sweet magic
man ever since he was appointed new CEO nintendo has been doing so amazing, way better than the iwata era for sure
So what you're telling me is it's Furukawa who's been hitting the crack pipe.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't wait to get my Steam deck either, including for emulation. But it's kind of odd bringing up a $400-650 device as an answer to $50 a year being too expensive.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I can't wait to get my Steam deck either, including for emulation. But it's kind of odd bringing up a $400-650 device as an answer to $50 a year being too expensive.
$50 a year gets you modern games every month on PSN/XBL, as well as dedicated servers for online play. Nobody would pay that amount for access to a small selection of PSX/PS2 games and laggy P2P connectivity.

Really online play shouldn't cost anything to begin with (and it doesn't on PC/Steam Deck), but the very least Nintendo could do is keep up with their competition in the console space.

Reactions: Pickle_Rick

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But what if you already have an online membership for already $20, would you still need to pay $50, or would I need to pay $30 then?

It's also stupid that the new AC DLC is in this bundle, what if you aren't interested in the DLC, but ofcourse are interested in N64 and Sega? Nintendo could reduce the cost by like $20 by removing the DLC...

Treeko

Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo just went full EA/Activision level money grab mode with this, quiet concerning when they have not even touched the basic features, how hard would it be to just add text chat not even voice chat, 80$ family sub for just a bunch of 20+ year old games that you can buy on their older systems outright for much cheaper.

Don't buy this people.

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Heard the price may be related to the license fee for Sega games that are being included in NSO. Regardless if it's true or not, it's not worth the asking price.

Wavy

Splatana Stamper Enjoyer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Fucking excuse me?

No way in hell am I paying double a year (which is $59.95 AUD here) just for N64 and Genesis games. I would of been fine if it were $10 or even $15 including the free Animal Crossing DLC, but I have to pay double for what I'm paying now? How baffling.

April fools is in half a year Nintendo!

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Thankfully my NSO subscription ran out. Don't plan on supporting Nintendo directly anymore. I knew well ahead of time they weren't going to be happy with the 20ish they were asking...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: