Nintendo Switch official firmware version 13.0.0 available, adds Bluetooth audio support

TV4lThD.png

Put your stability jokes on hold, because it's time for a new Nintendo Switch firmware update, and it's one that offers some actual functionality, for once. Official firmware version 13.0.0 is here, and it brings with it support for Bluetooth audio devices, meaning you can now pair headphones, speakers, or earbuds with the Nintendo Switch system without the use of a third-party dongle. Of note, Nintendo specifies that Bluetooth microphones will not pair with the system, as they are not supported.

• Headphones, earbuds, speakers, and other audio devices that connect with Bluetooth can now be paired with Nintendo Switch family systems for audio output.
    • Bluetooth microphones are not supported.
    • Up to two compatible wireless controllers can be connected to the system while using Bluetooth audio.
    • Bluetooth audio cannot be used while local wireless communication is active.
    • For more information, see How to Pair and Manage Bluetooth Audio Devices.

There's more, as well. A new option allows users to update their Switch's dock, though it's a feature exclusive to the Nintendo Switch OLED dock, with its LAN port. Consoles connected to LAN can now also stay connected to the internet, even when in sleep mode. You can grab the update if you're interested in the new features, or stay on your current firmware and await the all-clear from your favorite CFW dev sources.

:arrow: Source

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Finally some new useful features. It was a pain trying to keep my Switch updated docked when it sleeps. It makes me wonder why they need to update the dock. Oh well, it would take sometime for Atmosphere to update.

I hope the Switch isn't picky about wireless earphones like the Vita was.

Last edited by fvig2001,

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow finally. I actually tried my Bluetooth speaker not too long ago, but now wow it will work with this update.

Hopefully folders next. I actually refuse to buy the rest of the Arcade Archives just because there isn't an option to create folders which is a shame. I have about 5 in my wishlist and Mario Bros is also on there which I really want, but I refuse to buy it. No folders, no buy. Yup, that's right. Really want my Arcade Archives in a folder.

Reactions: PacDan16

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I learned something today. Didn't even cross my mind on whether they had it or not.

No you have to use a silly dongle that's why I never bought the expensive headphones I always bought the wired ones that you can connect into the controller. Xbox is the same way. As advanced as those systems is bluetooth should be the norm but it is a big market in headphones.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well at least you can use wireless headsets, maybe next year nintendo will add microphone support and its gamers can play/chat together online.

Thing is, this is a basic feature these days, takes nintendo years to then add this support.

PacDan16

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
If I think about all that could be done in regards to improvements to Nintendo things, I get easily aggravated because I'm very passionate about seeing their systems be the absolute best that they can be... reach their full potential, y'know.
But by now I honestly feel like I'm so detached from my previous dreams of what could've been, with the Switch in particular, that it doesn't matter anymore. I'm just really disappointed.

They've sold so many freakin' Switch units, Nintendo doesn't have to do a dang thing... there's no incentive to make any good changes to their OS, their online ecosystem with NSO, their "Virtual Console" type of game support, and so much more.
This Bluetooth Audio support is a very late addition, and a bunch of people are rightfully calling them out on it. It's long-awaited inclusion is very much appreciated, sure... but why now?

They are historically the champions of inaction when it comes to a lot of things, even when it involves relatively simple changes that would have considerable boosts of quality to the user experience. They get too comfortable in their position. They work very slow, they are behind on a lot of things.

Sure, a lot of people are happy no matter what, but at the same time there is the vocal, passionate, loyal crowd that would especially appreciate and benefit from some extra love and care given to the system.

Last edited by PacDan16,
Reactions: TwoMinutes2319

Deleted member 532471

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Adding long requested features? You can feel their desperation as we near December and more and more exclusives are flocking to steam...

I wonder if my afterglow headset will work on the switch now... Kinda doubt it.. :(

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is nice, I've had a dongle for a little while but will be easier not having to use it. Make me that bit more likely to bother with headphones rather than just playing with the volume down and miss out on sound.

Reactions: slaphappygamer

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
While I like that they've added Bluetooth support it's not Low Latency at all. If you, like myself, got headphones that support AptX LL you'll still want to keep using a dongle that supports AptX LL, too. But at least it's one more option for the user, but I won't be using it very often.
Also there were seemingly updates for my Joy Cons, though I'm not sure if they were new updates or if I missed a previous one there.

Just updated and noticed the update dock was there. I'm wondering if it's there on Switch Lite lol. Then I try not to laugh!

I just updated my Switch Lite and I can confirm there sadly is no Update Dock option.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0