Hardware Nintendo Switch has paid online services similar to Xbox Live and Playstation

Do you like the idea of a paid Nintendo online service?

• Total voters

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People complain about live and ps+ all the time. There was plenty of complaining when online got paywalled by Sony when the ps4 came out. It's not like people only complain about Nintendo, it's just it's newly announced, so those complaints are most vocal.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forums like IGN and NeoGAF are utter cancer. I don't even touch those forums.

Yeah I don't know why I even bother posting, much less bother reading and hearing my brain cells ignominiously die from reading the comments over there lol.

People complain about live and ps+ all the time. There was plenty of complaining when online got paywalled by Sony when the ps4 came out. It's not like people only complain about Nintendo, it's just it's newly announced, so those complaints are most vocal.

Sometimes it feels like they pick and only pick on Nintendo because they're not taking the same approach as their competitors. Last time they went for all out raw power was the Gamecube, it was more powerful than the PS2, somewhat weaker than the Xbox, but it didn't sell well, so power wasn't the solution.

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: Deleted User

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sometimes it feels like they pick and only pick on Nintendo because they're not taking the same approach as their competitors. Last time they went for all out raw power was the Gamecube, it was more powerful than the PS2, somewhat weaker than the Xbox, but it didn't sell well, so power wasn't the solution.

Because Nintendo once again had to be different, for the sake of being different. Mini dvds with less than half the capacity of a full size one that the competitors were using, so downgrading assets/audio/fmvs etc to make games fit and in some cases just not come across at all. And a controller, that as comfy as it is, had a weird second stick, odd face buttons and only 3 shoulder buttons.

But we are going off topic. I really don't think the attacks on paid online are just because it's Nintendo, it's just most vocal because it's new and people were hoping Nintendo would keep it free. The same happened when ps4 paywalled online, it was a new thing, people were hoping it would be free as it was on ps3 and there were constant topics about it all over the place.

With ps+ you are garanteed a thread a month of people complaining when Sony announce what indie games you are getting for that month.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because Nintendo once again had to be different, for the sake of being different. Mini dvds with less than half the capacity of a full size one that the competitors were using, so downgrading assets/audio/fmvs etc to make games fit and in some cases just not come across at all. And a controller, that as comfy as it is, had a weird second stick, odd face buttons and only 3 shoulder buttons.

But we are going off topic. I really don't think the attacks on paid online are just because it's Nintendo, it's just most vocal because it's new and people were hoping Nintendo would keep it free. The same happened when ps4 paywalled online, it was a new thing, people were hoping it would be free as it was on ps3 and there were constant topics about it all over the place.

With ps+ you are garanteed a thread a month of people complaining when Sony announce what indie games you are getting for that month.

Well, the reason for the mini DVD I believe was to "curtail piracy", a lot of good they did, games like Skies of Arcadia has a massive audio degradation problem, sounds bad lol. But yeah, I hope that the infrastructure for their online doesn't suck, same goes with the VC games and using actual good emulators this time.

AshleyCummings

Gamer Girl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I HATE Online Pay to Play -_- BUT I would if I actually could afford it, Pay for Xbox 360 Gold, Why ? Free game or Games every month .. FULL GAMES ..
Nintendo's is known for being a non paid online play perfect for family's who can't afford a extra cost .. Now there offering ..There Offering is PATHETIC!! A VC game to borrow or keep I don't give a dang which and to play online... yea they can shove it !! They are greedy! They Lost me when they did this ..They actually had me wanting one Now unless AC comes and is DECENT not some weird port board game mash up ..maybe it will have me for now I give a dang about the Switch, and its Online services that will (giving Nintendo is Greedy) Be most likely the same price that Sony and Microsoft do .. least they give you real full games from the catalog ..

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only way I see them cancelling pay online altogether, is for enough people not to buy into it, but considering the other consoles are still doing it, I doubt it.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the reason for the mini DVD I believe was to "curtail piracy", a lot of good they did, games like Skies of Arcadia has a massive audio degradation problem, sounds bad lol. But yeah, I hope that the infrastructure for their online doesn't suck, same goes with the VC games and using actual good emulators this time.
The real benefit of the mini-DVD was that it reduced load times with its faster read speed.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why the mini-dvd would have caused sound degradation on Skies of Arcadia.. The Mini-DVD still had more space than the DC's GDs.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why the mini-dvd would have caused sound degradation on Skies of Arcadia.. The Mini-DVD still had more space than the DC's GDs.

Ask Sega that, the sound quality is worse on the Gamecube version, also the big boss fights (with airships) skimped out on a few things too, like missing health bars and being able upgrade certain things. The port had better graphics/textures, but cut corners in the sound department.

Listen to each version on YT, the diff is night and day, I don't want more ports to suffer when coming to the Switch.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TBH I honestly think the only reason why Steam is free is economies of scale, and the fact that most people buy a bunch of games (including really old ones) long after everyone's made their profit - then don't play most of those games so there's no impact on the server.

Reactions: FrozenDragon150

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I like how it's ok for Sony/Microsoft to do it, but when Nintendo does it, it's bullshit.
Honestly, I'd pay for it. Maybe with that extra money they can afford better servers.
Thats what i was thinking, however, not everione wants to give or have money for that and thats why its a bs, because nintendo offered free online compared to ps4 and xbone and thats why i for example like nintendo, you can do things other consoled do but free, you can choose nintendo...who can i chose now, im compelled almost if i want online.

I know you want to be objective, but when you buy a console its personally yours, so its personal not objective. i can understand and support, but its doing no good for me at the end.. unless its like super cheap and super affordable and straight forward.

Last edited by Metoroid0,

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thats what i was thinking, however, not everione wants to give or have money for that and thats why its a bs, because nintendo offered free online compared to ps4 and xbone and thats why i for example like nintendo, you can do things other consoled do but free, you can choose nintendo...who can i chose now, im compelled almost if i want online.

I know you want to be objective, but when you buy a console its personally yours, so its personal not objective. i can understand and support, but its doing no good for me at the end.. unless its like super cheap and super affordable and straight forward.
Will half of XBOX Gold live do for you? In that case Nintendo might actually win something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [cricket sounds]