Nintendo Switch hackers Team Xecuter leaders arrested, charged in federal indictment

50HCuI7t_400x400.jpg

The United States Department of Justice has shared some news regarding Team-Xecuter, which doesn't appear to be a good sign for the company. Gary Bowser, known on GBAtemp as garyopa, Max Louarn, and Yuanning Chen have all been arrested in Seattle, Washington. The US Government classifies these men as "leaders of one of the world's most notorious videogame piracy groups", and will be facing a federal indictment charge, for the selling of illegal hardware that facilitates piracy.

“These defendants lined their pockets by stealing and selling the work of other video-game developers – even going so far as to make customers pay a licensing fee to play stolen games,” said U.S. Attorney Brian Moran for the Western District of Washington. “This conduct doesn’t just harm billion dollar companies, it hijacks the hard work of individuals working to advance in the video-game industry.”

The FBI has also been involved, with each defendant to be charged under 11 felony counts, ranging from wire fraud, trafficking circumvention devices, and conspiracy to commit money laundering. One of the defendants, Louarn, has not yet been extradited, though Bowser has, where he was seen in the court hearing that took place today.

In September 2020, Louarn and Bowser were arrested abroad in connection with the charges in this case. The United States will seek Louarn’s extradition to stand trial in the United States. Bowser was arrested and deported from the Dominican Republic, and appeared today in federal court, in New Jersey.

Each defendant is charged with 11 felony counts, including conspiracy to commit wire fraud, wire fraud, conspiracy to circumvent technological measures and to traffic in circumvention devices, trafficking in circumvention devices, and conspiracy to commit money laundering.

:arrow: Source

D

Deleted User

A troll joining Gba Temp and posting BS just to increase there post count.

This is the reason i don't like them you know what? Their business selling those illegal technology from nowhere.. And i for this don't agree with plan like this... I never buying anything from them... I only have ps3 console..... Also this is not good news for that Gary from PSX place.

You can create, you can mod but you can't sell without anything related to the companies... Btw i'm not their friend

and the truth is their selling thing with expensive price, those chinese guy selling product for laundering money...

So RIP whatever happens.

Also i don't like NINTENDO products childism, also nintendo have a history about 'bully to their fans' that news leak everywhere.. So not interesting for me that nintendo.

Last edited by ,

KirovAir

Alcoholic Programmer
Trophies
Website
www.jessesander.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
During GBA and DS Days there was no way around it, if you wanted to run homebrew you'd need flashcartridges. Flashcarts are actual tech products that enable homebrew. In the Switch's case, TX was only selling software that was available for free for the community anyway - and they still infest it with DRM.

Flashcarts are wonderful devices that breath life onto now old and dated handhelds. I'm still playing new games and translations on my GBCs and GBAs and I think they are wonderful tools.

Public companies have an obligation to protect their IP.

Well actually.. The current SX-Core / SX-Lite hardware based hacks they are offering were there initial attack-vectors and exploit they wanted to use on SX OS. When the bootrom exploit was publicly available they switched to fusée-gelée instead. Not that I am affiliated with TX in anyway though, but before the Atmos stealing they actually had some groundbreaking stuff on hand already.

D

Deleted User

I Just Hope atmosphere will Support sx core and sx lite someday. I Just need Homebrew in my lite. No need for sigpatches for Backups.

Just playing some good old RPG maker Games on the switch

Astur_torque

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
A lot of discussion about the legality and piracy etc. but I think Gary and his mates should definitely be worried about "conspiracy to commit money laundering", "conspiracy to commit wire fraud" and "wire fraud". This has less to do with big N but with the US Government.

+1

Reactions: MarkDarkness

Astur_torque

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Ermm you do realise those resellers that got sued got done in before the chips got released.

And it didn't stop them the last 5 months selling chips online.

Also the exploit chip was already public and in circulation before indictment. Its still going for now and its not like it doesn't support payloads and is easy to reverse engineer from how its exploit works.

Basically if sxos dies and atmosphere supports the chip in future it will have plenty of reason to still sell

Uff.. it's taking them a while to support mariko

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Piracy this, piracy that, then everyone just downloads a romset from somewhere.

To me piracy is only making money with the work of others.. If you're not making money it's not piracy

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I Just Hope atmosphere will Support sx core and sx lite someday. I Just need Homebrew in my lite. No need for sigpatches for Backups.

Just playing some good old RPG maker Games on the switch

Yea, sitting here as well waiting to replace SXOS on my Lite, which I am glad I got since it seems SX chipped v2 systems will probably skyrocket as chips vanish from the market and they become harder to find.

Tenny

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Probably not but you never know, the site and activation server are still up apparently

the activation servers we're down yesterday for like 5 hours.
maybe they switched the servers.. who knows.

well, my SX Core came in today and i'm not sure if i should install it.. :thinking:

XD2020

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the activation servers we're down yesterday for like 5 hours.
maybe they switched the servers.. who knows.

well, my SX Core came in today and i'm not sure if i should install it.. :thinking:
If you have a switch that is v1/unpatched I wouldn’t. But if it is v2 or lite you can - then do homebrew on emunand for sure up to 10.2 and update the sysnand beyond that to use it for newer games if no further updates come.

britain4

Trophies
XP
Country
  1. If you have a switch that is v1/unpatched I wouldn’t. But if it is v2 or lite you can - then do homebrew on emunand for sure up to 10.2 and update the sysnand beyond that to use it for newer games if no further updates come.

I’d echo this about a patched V1, it’s not like there are any other ways of getting CFW on it either

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just got to thinking something guys, When you activate SX OS on your switch it only works on that switch and is locked to it and you can not use that on another switch, So if I was the FBI (and i'm not) I would keep the page up see who activated there sx os key's and what switch's they are tied to and track down the location of every switch that poped online, also would look at the backlogs of who actiavted there key's and go after everyone only keeping the web page up as a big HoneyPot.

Tenny

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I’d echo this about a patched V1, it’s not like there are any other ways of getting CFW on it either

Yes it's a patched v1.
did not someone mentioned that you can use Atmosphere for example if you like?
i've heard that it does not work atm on Mariko Consoles cuz atmosphere hasn't been updated?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay