1. realtimesave

realtimesave GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Everyone wants everything for free, including the hardware. They fail to realize that the hardware itself costs money regardless if they feel the software costs money or not. pretty stupid if you ask me.

2. dangopig

dangopig Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Congo, Democratic Republic of the
    I'm sure they would love to, but tracking everyone down is simply not feasible and doesn't make financial sense either.

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    We don't know what roles that the people arrested played, what keys they held or will lead the law to. From what little has been said then they were noted players but minor in the end.
    To that end they might come back.

While they did a fair bit for the Switch they are also not the only player in that world, nor the driving force behind it. They are a noted one that has given things others have not but said others were there in the first place doing good stuff too. To that end slowed is a maybe.

Similarly even if all development halted today (or on the day) it is unlikely to all stop working tomorrow. You then have a lag while new games get published that increasingly need more and more from newer firmwares and can't be (easily) patched to work on older base models. All the old stuff will still work so you then get to ask whether you want the new stuff (is much really coming out you care about? Will it continue to do so as well? We are several years into it and most of the key franchises are out and doing their bit while devs mostly only try the odd indie title, second rate port of old games and not much else).

Nobody likes a boy scout and everybody likes an antihero. Got to leave room for the "while this was happening" sequel, the prequels and the redemption/sendoff arc.

4. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Advanced Fan

No one said he/she wants the hardware for free. If a hardware solution is the only way it's fine to pay for it. But paying when there is a free software-only solution doing 99% of the paid one is stupid. The 3DS was/is a good example. The Gateway red card was never needed to archive your goals. It was a convenience bonus at best.

SlCKB0Y likes this.
  5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Ease of use/convenience, greater stability/polish, more functionality... these are things people frequently pay for everywhere and is the basis for a sizeable chunk of economics.
    Your 99% quite possibly varies from others -- easy USB is a nice thing to have, and there are several others.

There are those inclined to fiddle and sacrifice time (I am one of them in most cases) but I am not going to fault someone for skipping that, or skipping that to instead put their fiddling time into something else; part of the reason I don't hack PS1 or N64 games so much compared to others is because emulators there have long been a pain in the arse, if I have to baby one of them while also doing things that break games in the crash and burn sense it makes it far less enjoyable than something like the GBA or DS that emulate just fine.

Also as you brought 3ds into it. Do you fault those buying a DS flash cart* for use with a 3ds vs one of the newer compatibility layers?

*All the closed source, stolen code from homebrew, stolen code from official SDKs, stolen code from official games, iffy dealings with homebrew devs, dubious decisions with regards to best practices/consumer friendliness, pissing straight in the faces of devs with games that have not even officially been released yet, thumbing noses at the notions of copy protection, iffy support... you could ever want there if apparently those are failings I am supposed to condemn things for and utterly forgo even thinking about using them should I be a moral upstanding citizen. Indeed possibly other than Datel's efforts and maybe the original iplayer (which was Supercard aka one of the biggest players in more conventional flash carts behind the scenes) that was the default position for everything.

Eternalpublic, Wiki'd and Ryccardo like this.
  6. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Fair enough. If i can get it for free by trading a little time (not hard at all to set up in the case of the Switch) i will go that route.

Before nds-bootstrap existed DS flashcards were the only option. Now i would probably try nds-bootstrap first. There are still problems with a select few games and maybe also performance issues and glitches so a flashcard is not entirely useless but questionable to buy a new one now if your games run fine with the free solution.

Last edited by ghjfdtg, Oct 4, 2020
  7. lolcatzuru

lolcatzuru GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm not sure that they will publicly release any more builds, but they COULD hypothetically release source code for public updates

8. lafleche

lafleche GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    As they never did that for their dead gateway 3ds and Stargate solutions...... Won't hold the breath if I were you

masbass likes this.
  9. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Netherlands
    Not too likely. These kinda investigations usually are aimed at creators/distributors of these things. Going after individual buyers usually is just a pain in litigation.

That said, buyers are technically at risk for purchasing illegal goods.

10. lolcatzuru

lolcatzuru GBAtemp Fan

United States
    oh im not, just like to be optimistic.

11. Shalashaska98

Shalashaska98 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Very likely if you ask me, hope you guys used VPN downloading stuff from their website, I always do.

12. ChokingVictim87

ChokingVictim87 GBAtemp Maniac

What are you talking about? Do you know how timely and costly that would be. Not to mention bad from a PR point of view (especially with how anti consumer they sound after the Joycon statement)

Sammy_Lee, Agusto101 and ChronoTrig like this.
  13. Andalitez

Andalitez GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So which one of you two are going to jail ? xD

14. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Even if they had the time and money, would just buying sx os be enough to go after someone? I would think they'd have to prove they pirated which would be even harder.

ChokingVictim87 likes this.
  15. Shalashaska98

United States
    Just teasing

ChokingVictim87 likes this.
  16. ehnoah

ehnoah GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Bad vibes fot PS5 hacking too :(

17. leerpsp

leerpsp GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Iv never hacked a playstaion or xbox since there is more to loose then you get from it. I only hacked my switch to play backup's of games I all ready own like pokemon and animal crossing just so I can link trade and send stuff over to my non hacked switch so i did not have to buy 2 copy's of the same game I own on a cart since I was the only ones using the system's

18. Ishzark

Ishzark GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    none of us, we were just discussing it

because she mentioned that it could also happen that they will go after atmos-user
    but I said that's unlikely

19. leerpsp

leerpsp GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    if they do some one make a big post about it so we will know before hand.

Ishzark likes this.
  20. Shalashaska98

United States
    How do you explain the 2TB hard drive fill of NSP and XCI on your desk?

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - indictment, Nintendo, arrested