Nintendo Switch hackers Team Xecuter leaders arrested, charged in federal indictment

50HCuI7t_400x400.jpg

The United States Department of Justice has shared some news regarding Team-Xecuter, which doesn't appear to be a good sign for the company. Gary Bowser, known on GBAtemp as garyopa, Max Louarn, and Yuanning Chen have all been arrested in Seattle, Washington. The US Government classifies these men as "leaders of one of the world's most notorious videogame piracy groups", and will be facing a federal indictment charge, for the selling of illegal hardware that facilitates piracy.

“These defendants lined their pockets by stealing and selling the work of other video-game developers – even going so far as to make customers pay a licensing fee to play stolen games,” said U.S. Attorney Brian Moran for the Western District of Washington. “This conduct doesn’t just harm billion dollar companies, it hijacks the hard work of individuals working to advance in the video-game industry.”

The FBI has also been involved, with each defendant to be charged under 11 felony counts, ranging from wire fraud, trafficking circumvention devices, and conspiracy to commit money laundering. One of the defendants, Louarn, has not yet been extradited, though Bowser has, where he was seen in the court hearing that took place today.

In September 2020, Louarn and Bowser were arrested abroad in connection with the charges in this case. The United States will seek Louarn’s extradition to stand trial in the United States. Bowser was arrested and deported from the Dominican Republic, and appeared today in federal court, in New Jersey.

Each defendant is charged with 11 felony counts, including conspiracy to commit wire fraud, wire fraud, conspiracy to circumvent technological measures and to traffic in circumvention devices, trafficking in circumvention devices, and conspiracy to commit money laundering.

:arrow: Source

dude1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I feel that most of the "backup" people here (even if I give y'all the benefit of the doubt), are either not aware or intentionally overlooking the fact that SX OS has Horizon modules in it, as well as copyrighted gamecard headers to make their gamecard loader work.

I feel that most of the "backup" people here understand this and give zero F's about that.

ultimately comes down to the ends justify the means, you're correcting one injustice with
something your opposition would perceive as one.

From a right to repair/customer rights standpoint it is Immoral for Nintendo to have DRM that needs to be defeated on something I purchased.

if there was no DRM there be no need for SX or any open-source alternatives to allow "backups" legit or otherwise.

personally I think it's also immoral for them to ban consoles detected of being modded from their online service but atleast then you have the argument of the server being privately Nintendo's, similar to private membership being revoked from real-world club or equivalent.

what software vendors and media execs seek to do is have their cake and eat it too which doesn't fly any other industry.

could you imagine Ford or GM dictating what roads you're allowed to drive on post purchase?

or saying they only providers of service/parts.
it's just not a thing for a reason, it's inexcusable and gross.

I don't like it when Apple pulls that crap and uses CBP to illegally confiscate goods at the borders deemed to be "knockoffs" (eg. replacement parts or repaired parts)when they're not, just as I don't like software companies trying to dictate what I do with my media.

if you didn't want to sell it to me then you shouldn't have sold to me.

heck they even pull the "well you didn't buy the physical software you bought a license to use" but I should be able to trade my original cartridge in for its's equivalent rerelease in that case,

not to mention when you go to the store you're not presented with an EULA you need to agree to before purchase, or if you buy a piece of software open it up and then turn down the EULA( if there is one presented) you can then not return it, but if it was true you were buying a license legally you are entitled to return it, so make sense of that.

then there is the issue of in most countries for example mine you can't agree to a legal contract if you're under 18, does that mean that any child that has agreed any EULA is not bound by the EULA legally yes. ( if they were legal contracts, which they are not)

which brings us to the point of the fact that EULAs are not legal contracts to begin with and typically contain illegal stipulations in the first place.
the only place I've ever heard a EULA holding up in court is some jurisdictions lower courts in California and even then they've never escalated to the Supreme Court of California because companies don't want a precedent set against them, they would rather fear monger.

from a moral standpoint Nintendo and others like them have no grounds to stand on, they are just as if not more disgusting than the pirates they fight.

presicion25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good luck getting Chen extradited from Shenzhen

I don't use the TX products and I know what they do has divided opinion massively in the community but I hate seeing people getting locked up for this kind of shit

Sad times and I really hope nobody who dislikes them comes out and glorifies these actions

Exactly. China does not allow extradition of it's own nationals. So good luck to the FBI and whoever else on that one.

Zaiphon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Im pretty sure he will write a biography about how he was Feminized in Prision and turned into Sissy for protection from gang rape.
Same for the 2nd Guy.

Will i be able to buy it on Amazon?

DarknessPlay3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well Max was the money bag. So it's really up in the air. They've done one hell of a job the feds so it wouldn't be too surprising to hear more arrests coming. As it seems they got access to to the it internal channels.
Definitely possible, but I would think unlikely. Max being a big part of the finance seems like the reason they went after him. Gary being easy pickings because everyone knew who "GaryOPA" was and was also apart of the financial end (aka distribution and sales). These two got targeted for making money off of piracy, the whole TX branding was just to help build the case of what they are about.

Typically these kinds of things are about the money made, not what they enable. The FBI and DOJ doesn't give two shits about what their products do. Charges like this come from selling things like counterfeit goods, or in this case pirated games which is much the same.

The fact IN the charges they are listed selling compilations of games for things like the mini consoles, is a huge red flag. It's one thing to sell your own creations that may in fact be just to enable piracy. That would lead to being sued for damages and the like.

Instead they got caught selling hardware like this AND software. Honestly that was a stupid fucking (not to mention greedy) thing to try and get away with.

This is why a lot of people took issue with TX. It was one thing to for them to sell their own creations that their investments funded. No one should have issue with that.

However stealing other people's work, be it Nintendo or even open source developers, and making a profit off of that. Is something LOTS of people took issue with and have all along.

They got what they deserved.

Had they stuck to making profits of their own initiatives for example just hardware and their own software, the majority of this thread would be very different. Instead people are happy to see two guys get caught making money off of selling stolen property.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
-a lot of text-
What I feel however is that they been building this case for a while. Since they even got a Gateway3DS. I'm really surprised how much effort the feds put down on this. It was just a matter of time before they would get caught, they were to public to really survive. I mean the old TX team never really got busted more than their url taken by the FBI.

s2m

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well you obviously dont know them. They dont need a fund me page they have more money than common sense... and they will need every penny to pay for protection inside federal prison. I heard Garyopa has a new cellmate a MR Ben Dover.
I bet you spent like good few long minutes to come up with how to insert "prison sex joke" into that topic. If you think you're funny, no you're not, mate. Better luck next time.

Also level of salt and low-level mockery from members of this forum hits new pathetic levels in this thread. No one tells you to pick up any of sides, but at least stay civilised or keep pretence you're smarter than average internet user.

DarknessPlay3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What I feel however is that they been building this case for a while. Since they even got a Gateway3DS. I'm really surprised how much effort the feds put down on this. It was just a matter of time before they would get caught, they were to public to really survive. I mean the old TX team never really got busted more than their url taken by the FBI.
Oh 100% this has been a case being built for years. The old TX never did shit like I posted above hence "how" the name lived this long.

Reactions: linuxares

manousos82003

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I bet you spent like good few long minutes to come up with how to insert "prison sex joke" into that topic. If you think you're funny, no you're not, mate. Better luck next time.

Also level of salt and low-level mockery from members of this forum hits new pathetic levels in this thread. No one tells you to pick up any of sides, but at least stay civilised or keep pretence you're smarter than average internet user.

Unfortunately nowadays common sense is replaced from political correction....Most of them started turning into organic portals, that's their problem, just avoid any conversation with them. They'll try to bring you down to their ignorance and stupidity and make you seem loser like them...Nothing worse than a toxic community....

Even TX seize to exist, new groups will eventually come up with better software. I refuse using atmosphere, reinx, their plugins and all the drama queens that scene has....I'll stay to 10.2, i have many great games to play even 11 or 20.1.0 come....

Last edited by manousos82003,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup