1. medoli900

medoli900 Open the Benzenes;Gate

Antarctica
    And this is relevant because?
    I never mentioned music P2P download, which, yes, that is copyright infringement.

2. realtimesave

realtimesave GBAtemp Regular

United States
    veered wayyyyyyyyyyyy off topic.

3. raging_chaos

raging_chaos Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Owning your own game backup isn't at question. The legality of an emulator isn't at question either. You're running unlicensed software on a closed platform. Unlicensed = Illegal no matter how you justify it, Nintendo isn't making their fee.

4. Philipp_94

Philipp_94 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Closed Plattform? I don't think that's a thing. I own the hardware, it's mine. I can do with it whatever I want. The software? That's licensed which I'm just allowed to use (doesn't hold up in my country either btw). So if I'm booting other software with it, not using Nintendo's, I'm perfectly in the legal range. As long as I don't infringe any copyrights, I'm absolutely free to do whatever I want with my console. I don't have to get an ok from the original developer of some hardware to use it in another way they designed it for.

Last edited by Philipp_94, Dec 5, 2020
    medoli900 and Fred Molyneux like this.
  5. TomSwitch

TomSwitch GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Try to sue Sony and Microsoft to get them to open up XBOX series X and PS 5. I want to use it as a PC :).
    It is literally PC hardwares. So sad that they can only be used to play games. Aren't we the customers being hurt here?

Last edited by TomSwitch, Dec 5, 2020
  6. raging_chaos

raging_chaos Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    It absolutely is a closed platform. Might want to familiarize yourself with the terminology before assuming. The litigation that is happening applies to the US, if you aren't from the country then you really don't apply to that conversation. Might want to look up the definition of extradition as well, being in another country doesn't protect anyone from Nintendo.

Also my original reply was about SXOS vs Atmos, not about the legality of homebrew. Both are letting you do the same thing, run unlicensed software that Nintendo has not approved. As far as useful homebrew can't honestly think of a thing other than save backup/file transfer. Media player? That's built into almost all devices now including refrigerators so moot point. Emulation? I'd rather do that on my open platform PC or dedicated emulation box.

From HTG:

Consoles as old as the original Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) required game developers to license their games with the console’s manufacturer before the can be distributed and run on the console. The “homebrew” scenes available for various game consoles often exploit security bugs in a console to run unapproved, homemade games.

The Android-powered Ouya and PC-gaming-powered Steambox consoles will offer open platforms where anyone can develop games and distribute them directly to users without requiring the manufacturer’s approval. In the meantime, the PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo consoles are currently all closed platforms.

Open platforms allow us the freedom to decide what runs on our own computers without becoming criminals. Even if jailbreaking wasn’t a crime, the fact that a platform is open allows developers to easily distribute software that a platform’s controller might not like.

Last edited by raging_chaos, Dec 5, 2020
  7. AlexMCS

AlexMCS GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    So much wasted energy discussing whether something is "legal" (which wildly varies by country) or not...
    A lot of laws only exist to protect certain privileges, not for the greater good of the populace...
    Focus on morals and common sense people.
    /sigh

Crezut, medoli900 and mr_switch like this.
  8. volosgus

volosgus Newbie
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Shouldn't it be a different forum for this?? I'm in here for something else, not to see people arguing about what they believe on the matter.

Jopa777 likes this.
  9. Jopa777

Jopa777 Member
    Newcomer

Portugal
    Agree 100%- fanboys and cfw wars boys- kindly create a topic for your discussions and dissertations

10. medoli900

medoli900 Open the Benzenes;Gate

Antarctica
    Welcome to the temp, where every post will inevitably turn into misinformation and overgeneralization of piracy laws.

11. wiiando

wiiando GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Homebrew is just that most of the time, a app or game made for a console that wasn't ever going to be made for said console, so I don't get the homebrew hurting dev's thing, emulation is again legal if you own your own rom etc.

Nintendo fuck users over a lot with the repurchasing of games over and over again from their stores over the years, they could make all purchase cross compatible, but choose not to.

Atmosphere isn't pushed as a piracy option though, yes you can pirate through it, but SXOS pushed piracy from day one as a selling point

Last edited by wiiando, Dec 5, 2020
  12. justplayer

justplayer Newbie
    Newcomer

Azerbaijan
    Oh my god! This sucks!

1- Emulation is NOT piracy, but, make an unauthorized copy of a game (that doesnt has an official backup systen), YES IT IS! No matter what you think!

2- Provide download links of unauthorized copies of "backup" games, IS piracy! Again, no matter what you think!

3- To violate intellectual property, make unauthorized distribuction, unauthorized copies and provide downloads of unauthorized modification, IS PIRACY! Once more, NO MATTER WHAT YOU THINK!

4- Download and use unauthorized modified code, IS PIRACY! (You all know what comes now...)

So, you have two choices: A- Accept the fact that YOU ARE PIRATING software ant intellectual property, or B- DON'T buy any products from companies that make closed softwares, systems and games!

And you are only defending piracy because you ARE NOT the one who's being pirated. It isnt your property being modified. It isnt your job and your hours of work being distributed on internet for free! If we where talking about book, everyone would accord that make an illegal "backup" copy of an official book and share it on the web would be piracy, plagiary... Why do you think software and games are different?? Programmers know what i'm talking about... a software is literally written like a book. (Imagine someone opening a book, changing the whole history and distributing with the same name, same editor, same author name, same cover... isn't that piracy? No matter if the edited history is better than the original one... if you don't like, WRITE YOUR OWN HISTORY!)

And for those who are looking for infos about SXOS, it will be released when it's released! Nobody here knows anything about it! Nintendo kicked the SXOS developers balls... NOBODY here knows if it will continue or not... Accept that too!

Now, i think we can go back to the topic proposal.
    Anybody knows where we can download the last firmware to make the installation by choidujour??

Last edited by justplayer, Dec 5, 2020
    raging_chaos likes this.
  13. AlexMCS

AlexMCS GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    No one uses that anymore. Try that new installer that comes with atmosphere.
    Forgot the name.

14. Lightyose

Lightyose True Light

United States
    Daybreak is it's name.

15. Shalashaska98

Shalashaska98 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Seems SXOS is being updated found a thread on Reddit

16. Jopa777

Jopa777 Member
    Newcomer

Portugal
  17. yz999zz

yz999zz Newbie
    Newcomer

So, to return on the topic: If I have an unpatched Switch and emummc 10.2 with Amtosphere, can I update OFW to 11.0 leaving emummc to 10.2 without affecting anything and keep play backups on emummc 10.2 as before? My son want to play Fortnite online (on OFW 11.0) and I want to play my backups (not connected to internet) on CFW (emummc) 10.2. Is it possible?
    (I have to update OFW (it's now on 8.1.0) because I never connected it to internet so I guess I have to force update before register to the Nintendo eshop)

Last edited by yz999zz, Dec 5, 2020
  18. Jopa777

Jopa777 Member
    Newcomer

Portugal
    Yes

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You already have updated versions of cfw

19. cloud-strife777

cloud-strife777 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Omg SX OS v3.1.0 released with 11.0.0 Support :)

MachRc and draftguy like this.
  20. yz999zz

yz999zz Newbie
    Newcomer

So I don't have to update my emummc to 11.0 despite my OFW will be 11.0, correct?

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Nintendo, firmware, version