Nintendo Switch firmware update 12.1.0 available to download

assddsa.png

There's a new firmware update in town, and it's not just stability. Nintendo has pushed out official firmware version 12.1.0 for the Switch, which adds the traditional amount of general stability improvements, but also allows users to delete old system data to make room for new game updates, if you're ever in a situation where your internal or microSD storage is running low. Atmosphere CFW users will need to hold on and wait for compatibility, for now, so don't update just yet.

• If there is not enough space remaining on the system memory (internal storage) or microSD card when downloading game software update data, you can now delete old data for that software, enabling you to download the new data.
    • When deleting the old data, you won't be able to play the game until the new data has finished downloading.

:arrow: Source

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what we used to do when Android devices had little storage. I feel sad for Nintendo if this is what they have to do...
It's okay, Apple users have to suffer the same fate, because they cannot use SD cards in their iPhones.

Reactions: Bedel

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, I updated anyway, only on my primary switch. I didn't want that update nag happening while playing dragon quest xi. I was in sleep mode with it when the update hit, and I was already saved, so I went ahead and updated. also, ys ix comes out today, so I probably have to be updated to download the ticket or whatever is needed to play the game.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure I understand what this update does. does that mean the game update installed on the system will now be deleted instead of waiting for the new download to finish first before the new game update is installed?
A lot of Android stuff has this stupid idiosyncratic behavior where they will whine about "not enough space" when their own reporting suggests they should have plenty of it; thus doing a poor job of explaining where they need more space (such as a specific partition) to update the system or a given app.

What's mentioned in the release notes, suggests that Nintendo, with this new firmware, finally decided to work around that for those people who were frequently up against their storage limits, to allow a way to apply requisite updates, rather than just fail and not tell you what the problem is.

This was such a nagging problem on the WiiU, when I thought I had enough space to install Smash internally, but realize that the console didn't have enough space for the game and/or the requisite update(s). The WiiU behavior is what the Switch console would do before this update.

Reactions: godreborn

Lodad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy cow maybe I can finally download game updates without a system error stopping me.

The next FW should allow you to play games without having to download their stupid updates.

Lilphish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Updated Atmosphere to latest version and trying to upgrade firmware to latest. It shows it is valid but then immediately fails and I have to reboot or shutdown. Any ideas?

Last edited by Lilphish,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The real question, did they fix the bug from the last update? If they did, then they literally did make the system more stable and not even mention it.
The issue most likely was on server side (CDN).
A user a couple posts above said several downloads got through just fine:
I don't think the issue was with the firmware but rather cdn. it seems to be fixed, at least for me. last 20+ downloads have gone through first try on three different switches.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The issue most likely was on server side (CDN).
A user a couple posts above said several downloads got through just fine:
Ah, ngl, I was hoping they did fix an issue that technically made the system more stable and then failed to mention it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/