Nintendo Switch firmware update 12.0.0 available for download

5873B94B-772F-4A7B-8975-6C6C1E96E488.jpeg

A new update has been detected! Nintendo has just put out a system software update for the Nintendo Switch, which brings the console up to official firmware version 12.0.0. This time around, we have an actual reason as to what this update entails: a “rare” save backup error had been resolved. The changelog mentions nothing else, despite it being an update from 11.0.1 to 12.0.0. If you haven’t already learned by now, don’t update your hacked systems until you have the all-clear from established scene hackers.

Ver. 12.0.0 (Released April 5, 2021)
We fixed the issue with the save data backup feature, where in rare cases, the automatic backup of save data is interrupted if a communication error occurs during completion of the save data backup process.

:arrow: Source

mranonymous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the first system update that has happened in my Atmosphere days. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how long (just a ballpark) it usually takes for a new Atmosphere version to come out after a system update?

Just asking because I use save data transfer from my CFW Switch to my clean one, which I won't be able to use until the new Atmos comes out

Thanks!

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP
This is the first system update that has happened in my Atmosphere days. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how long (just a ballpark) it usually takes for a new Atmosphere version to come out after a system update?

Just asking because I use save data transfer from my CFW Switch to my clean one, which I won't be able to use until the new Atmos comes out

Thanks!
It usually takes a couple of days for @ScriesM to update it but we don't know if 12.0.0 does anything to Atmopshere yet

shorty_bobert

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks!
SciresM got his second COVID shot today so he doesn't feel great, but he's still gonna try to stream himself digging into the new update. He says it's kind of big, but he always gives 100% to get Atmosphere out as soon as he can.

mranonymous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It usually takes a couple of days for @ScriesM to update it but we don't know if 12.0.0 does anything to Atmopshere yet

Gotcha thanks! I might be the guinea pig and find out since I don't really need the CFW Switch for anything else in the meantime - could there be any potentially dangerous consequences to trying it out? (Aside from just being temporarily un-usable until the new Atmos is released)

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
which is why I like these “just stability” updates since they tend not to disclose what really was updated/patched
Whatever is patched, those who ALREADY have hacked their system are usually fine
The scene will provide them a new update within days
It does break their cfw, but it is usually easilt patched by the scene
The big trouble with those updates are the exploit that allow to hack the console being patched
If your console is not hacked and you update, you missed your chance forever
Because the scene might be able to find exploit on old firmware
But they usually warn people early when they THINK they found one

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This version has SXOS included, right?
No, if you knew anything the only thing that blocks exploits on hackable consoles is the new keys, which can easily be dumped and applied.

If the keys havent changed and games still use old keys, then cfw will still function on the older firmware.

Hence crash 4, nsmb and other new titles still run on 11.0.

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

Lunar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the features Nintendo. This is a prime example of why I softmod my console. They cut out Bluetooth audio, an internet browser, and most likely a plethora of other features to prevent their systems from being modded yet Nvidia did it for them. The hardware is mine, I will use it to its full potential.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, if you knew anything the only thing that blocks exploits on hackable consoles is the new keys, which can easily be dumped and applied.

If the keys havent changed and games still use old keys, then cfw will still function on the older firmware.

Hence crash 4, nsmb and other new titles still run on by11.0.
If you're gonna be patronising you should probably get it right tbh. Keys aren't the only thing, new firmware versions can come with new functions and if new games start using them they won't work on older firmwares and can't be modified to do so. That doesn't happen as often as new keys but it does happen.

Cylent1

Community Smart Ass!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're gonna be patronising you should probably get it right tbh. Keys aren't the only thing, new firmware versions can come with new functions and if new games start using them they won't work on older firmwares and can't be modified to do so. That doesn't happen as often as new keys but it does happen.
Only hardware revisions could stop a game form working on a lower version to get technical.
If it ran on x firmware, then there is nothing physically stopping it from running on a lower firmware as long as the system has not been hardware revised.

Last edited by Cylent1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up