Nintendo Switch firmware 6.0.0 out now, adds digital game sharing

IMG_1501.JPG

After being leaked by dataminers, and then teased by Nintendo, the Switch's firmware 6.0 update, set to go live today, is now available to officially download. As noted before, this update focuses on preparing Switch consoles for the new online service. For the first three hours after the update becomes available, the eShop will go down for maintenance. Once that wraps up, you'll be free to buy a Nintendo Switch Online membership, start your free trial, and get to testing out the new features. In regards to the NES games, new information has rolled out, mentioning that players will have to download them all in bulk, together, in a ~60MB file. And don't worry, general system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience have been made.

Improvements Included in Version 6.0.0 (Distributed 9/18/2018)
Nintendo Switch Online* features and functionality have been added, including:

• Save Data Cloud Backup
    • User your internet connection to back up game save data for compatible games
    • Some games are not compatible with Save Data Cloud
    • To back up save data or download a previous backup, head to System Settings > Data Management > Save Data Cloud Backup
    *Nintendo Switch Online membership (sold separately) and Nintendo Account required for online play. Not available in all countries. Internet access required for online features. Save Data Cloud backup available in compatible games. Terms apply. To learn more, click here.
Added the following system functionality

• Upload up to four Album screenshots at once on supported social network services
    • Only one captured video can be uploaded at once
  • Select from six new Captain Toad icons for your user
    • To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
  • Play your digital software and content on non-primary consoles by linking your Nintendo Account
    • The term "active console" has been renamed "primary console" in Nintendo eShops
    • Playing software in multiple consoles has certain restrictions
  • Display of Nintendo Switch News articles will be limited to match the restricted software parental controls setting selections
    • Please note that the restriction will only apply to News articles distributed after the release of version 6.0.0.
  • Change the layout of the USB keyboard to the desired language
    • To change the language, head to the System Settings > System > USB Keyboard
Removed the following system functionality

• After installing the system update, it will no longer be possible to unlink your Nintendo Account from your Nintendo Switch user
General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience, including:

• Compatibility improvements have been made for a controller licensed by Nintendo

Most notably, perhaps, is the new ability to digitally share games with other consoles. If you sign into another Switch account, you can set a console as Primary or Non-Primary. A non-primary account can even play games from the primary account, with the caveat that the primary console isn't playing any digital games, and that you're constantly online.

Key Points:
Primary Console:

• You can have one primary console at a time for your Nintendo Account.
  • The first Nintendo Switch console you use to connect to Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch will become your primary console.
  • While using the primary console, any user account on the console can play the downloadable content you have purchased.
  • While using the primary console, you do not need to have an active Internet connection while playing downloadable software.
    • An Internet connection is still required to use online features or games which require a subscription service.
  • You can change which Nintendo Switch console is your primary console but you must first deactivate the current primary console.

Non-Primary Console:

• A Nintendo Account can be linked to Nintendo Switch consoles that are not designated as the primary console, however, some functionality differs from when a Nintendo Account is used on a primary console.
  • While using a non-primary console, you can still use the Nintendo Account to access the Nintendo eShop, purchase and download software, and under certain conditions, play your downloadable software.
  • While using a non-primary console, you must have an active Internet connection to play downloadable content.
    • If you lose your Internet connection while playing downloadable content on a non-primary console, your game will pause after a certain amount of time; however, once you connect online again, you will be able to resume from the point you left off.
  • While using a non-primary console, downloadable content can only be started by the user that purchased the content.
  • When using downloadable software on a non-primary console, your game will pause if your Nintendo Account is used to access downloadable software on any other Nintendo Switch console.

:arrow: Source

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Burning question, does the emulation suck? I know NERD was supposedly the programmers for it this time.
So far everything is very smooth, especially the selection menu/overlay UI for the NES games. It gives you three different picture modes to choose from including a very realistic CRT filter, lots of save states.

Reactions: the_randomizer

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does the game need to be inserted into the system in order to save to cloud? I mean does it automatically save to cloud by default?

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have spoted in several videos people complaining that the nes games cant be played with random players (locked to friends only) and that the games lags and have a kind of input delay to them. Have some of you noticed problems with the connection at all?

Because that would be a big oof.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
does the game need to be inserted into the system in order to save to cloud? I mean does it automatically save to cloud by default?
Auto backup is enabled for all your games that support it by default, you can manually back up specific game saves even without the cart inserted.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Auto backup is enabled for all your games that support it by default, you can manually back up specific game saves even without the cart inserted.

so if I save in a game, it will be saved to cloud automatically as well? and, all games I have saves with will be backed up automatically without having to go through my list of games manually? how do I know if my saves were backed up? the eshop somewhere?

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have noticed a change in the display. I play my switch on a crt (hdmi converted to rca with a box), why you ask? well because i feel like it. Anyways i noticed that after the 6.0 update the top account icons are lower then they used to be. In monster hunter i notice that things that are on the edge of the screen are no longer off the screen as much. There is a tv adjustment setting that was always present and the value i changed it to was never touched. So it seems that something with the display was changed. Of course this is probably not noticed since no one is playing switch on a crt.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
so if I save in a game, it will be saved to cloud automatically as well? and, all games I have saves with will be backed up automatically without having to go through my list of games manually? how do I know if my saves were backed up? the eshop somewhere?
You press minus with a game highlighted and cloud save backup is one of the options. It shows when the last backup occurred for that game (if any). Seems like it uploads all your saves at certain points during the day, it says it will backup even in sleep mode.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You press minus with a game highlighted and cloud save backup is one of the options. It shows when the last backup occurred for that game (if any). Seems like it uploads all your saves at certain points during the day, it says it will backup even in sleep mode.

I'm kinda on the fence about whether to update. I want to since I think I'm going legit, but then again, I don't want to lock out any sort of hacking. I guess my main concern is whether or not I'd play any games I pirate as I have five or six systems, all hacked, with very little playtime. I've probably invested 400+ hours total to all games I own on the switch. that's way more than all other systems combined. :D

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I have spoted in several videos people complaining that the nes games cant be played with random players (locked to friends only) and that the games lags and have a kind of input delay to them. Have some of you noticed problems with the connection at all?

Because that would be a big oof.
I don't think it's actually limited to friends-only, but the online for the NES games indeed does not seem to be working at all yet. Hopefully that's cleared up in a day or two. No more input delay on NES games than any other Switch game.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This appears to be a slightly different version to the leaked one
How so? Proof?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What's the point of game sharing if two friends cannot play same game at the same time? :nayps3:
That's usually how it works. Same with Steam family sharing. To prevent that only one copy of multi-player titles is bought and several people play it.

Reactions: Arras and felix.200

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Burning question, does the emulation suck? I know NERD was supposedly the programmers for it this time.
So far it's not bad, it's quick and easy to transition. I just wish there were more display choices. It's easier to use than the nes and snes mini overlay and it's all in one spot rather than randomly placed like the old systems where you had to organize them with your regular games.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello @realtimesave.