Nintendo Switch firmware 14.0.0 released, finally adds folder support

Screenshot_20220321-194402_Brave.jpg

More than five years after the launch of the Nintendo Switch, the console has gotten a major quality of life feature. Added in today's 14.0.0 firmware update was the "Groups" feature, which gives users the ability to collect their games and organize them into folders. If you have more than 12 games, you can navigate to the All Software tab, where you'll be prompted to select which games you'd like to put into a group, and then name it. The Switch can have up to 100 different groups with up to 200 individual games within each group.

:arrow: Source

Ver. 14.0.0 (Released March 21, 2022)​

"Groups" feature was added to the All Software menu.

• You can now create groups of software to help organize your software titles.
  • Making groups for different game genres, developers, or whatever you’d like to organize by may make it easier to find the application you want.
    • Up to 100 groups can be created with a max of 200 titles per group.
  • The button to proceed to the "All Software" screen is displayed only when there are 13 or more software title icons on the system.
  • For more information, see How to Create Groups of Software.

Bluetooth® Audio volume behavior was changed.

• You can now adjust the volume of Bluetooth audio devices using either the Nintendo Switch™ console or through volume control buttons on the Bluetooth audio device.
    • The Bluetooth audio device must support AVRCP profiles for these changes to work.
  • The volume displayed on the console will reflect the Bluetooth audio volume when using the device’s control buttons.
  • The maximum volume output for some Bluetooth audio devices has been increased.

UPDATE March 22nd: If you are running Atmosphere, it is recommended by SciresM that you avoid updating until the newest version is released as there are a number of changes in 14.0.0. It is currently in the works but will take a bit longer than most minor updates.

Atmosphere-14.0.0-Update.jpeg
Screenshot courtesy for @Alexander1970

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, crap.
Was already getting the nag and watching the system being a brat and slow running games with the constant nag when switching or loading anything. So I used daybreak to apply the update.

Well, guess I'm stuck waiting until the next version of Atmosphere and Hekate are available for use.

CrimsonKnights

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I accidentally updated while using emuMMC, how do I delete the emuMMC that’s on the new update so I can create a new emuMMC
Never mind I got it, probably a dumb question. I just got into modding the switch about two weeks ago so I’m fairly new, all I had to do was delete the emuMMC folder and create a new one, now back to normal. Airplane mode for sure

Reactions: binkinator

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Never mind I got it, probably a dumb question. I just got into modding the switch about two weeks ago so I’m fairly new, all I had to do was delete the emuMMC folder and create a new one, now back to normal. Airplane mode for sure
The bottom line for CFW is just that: do your stuff on emunand, always on emunand. You just mess with sysnand after everything is perfect and running on emunand.

Extra suggestion of mine is to wait a week to update (even with atmosphere available), because it is not uncommon for Nintendo to release a follow up update with minor fixes in this time frame.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The bottom line for CFW is just that: do your stuff on emunand, always on emunand. You just mess with sysnand after everything is perfect and running on emunand.

Extra suggestion of mine is to wait a week to update (even with atmosphere available), because it is not uncommon for Nintendo to release a follow up update with minor fixes in this time frame.
Normally no game requires the new HOS for a while, if you go online you can also wait until Nintendo force you to update. No reason to update HOS just to have the latest ahead of others, there is normally nothing to gain.

That is about HOS. Don't update unless you are forced to by your desire of ( whatever that may be ). It's normally not about Nintendo release quality. Nintendo can be perfect but it does not mean your home brew will continue to work.

Concerning atmosphere I would update immediately. My recommendation to others is also to wait a bit. The risk with atmosphere is low, this risk with HOS is so much higher if you value your favorite home brews, maybe some of them won't get updated to work with new HOS. If something don't work with a new Atmosphere release going back just take the few seconds needed to restore some files. So much more troublesome to restore HOS and you loose everything you did since the last backup you made.

PS: I have a gut feeling that new Atmosphere release is coming within the week. I wonder what other goodies is coming in addition to compatibility with HOS 14 ( not a priority to me, I probably won't need to update HOS on my emunand for many many months ).

Last edited by TomSwitch,

musmanzafar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Normally no game requires the new HOS for a while, if you go online you can also wait until Nintendo force you to update. No reason to update HOS just to have the latest ahead of others, there is normally nothing to gain.

That is about HOS. Don't update unless you are forced to by your desire of ( whatever that may be ). It's normally not about Nintendo release quality. Nintendo can be perfect but it does not mean your home brew will continue to work.

Concerning atmosphere I would update immediately. My recommendation to others is also to wait a bit. The risk with atmosphere is low, this risk with HOS is so much higher if you value your favorite home brews, maybe some of them won't get updated to work with new HOS. If something don't work with a new Atmosphere release going back just take the few seconds needed to restore some files. So much more troublesome to restore HOS and you loose everything you did since the last backup you made.

PS: I have a gut feeling that new Atmosphere release is coming within the week. I wonder what other goodies is coming in addition to compatibility with HOS 14 ( not a priority to me, I probably won't need to update HOS on my emunand for many

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-03-23-21-29-11-723_com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-03-23-21-29-11-723_com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.jpg
    558.7 KB · Views: 49

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just read support for 14.0 is available with the new atmosphere release. Michael did an awesome job getting it done this quickly.

Agreed! Awesome stuff. Regular people should still wait a bit to update. You don’t NEED groups (but you DO need a working Atmosphere and prolly sigpatches.)

https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/pull/1799

edit:

There still might be work that needs to be done so use at your own risk:
https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases
https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/releases/tag/v5.7.2
https://gbatemp.net/threads/sigpatches-for-atmosphere-hekate-fss0-fusee-package3.571543/

Last edited by binkinator,
Reactions: Prior22

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: never mind I was able to load fusee.bin. Thanks again to Michael for the quick release. Only was without my switch for a day.

Last edited by Prior22,

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi pioneers who updated, perhaps you can help others by posting if any homebrew breaks with HOS14.

I will update Atmosphere but not HOS. If somebody report that my app breaks with HOS14 I might update to HOS14 otherwise I will just wait until I need HOS14.

On second thought I will wait a bit to update Atmosphere. There are lots of new commits since the per-release was released. :)

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi pioneers who updated, perhaps you can help others by posting if any homebrew breaks with HOS14.

I will update Atmosphere but not HOS. If somebody report that my app breaks with HOS14 I might update to HOS14 otherwise I will just wait until I need HOS14.

On second thought I will wait a bit to update Atmosphere. There are lots of new commits since the per-release was released. :)

Hey @TomSwitch

Haven't done a deep dive but I'm smoke testing all my installed hb apps. So far I've not seen any issues with Edizon-SE or Breeze. Can't vouch for all hb yet and there might be some edge cases to find but in general atmosphere/hekate/sigpatches all work great and all my games launch w/o issue.

Bottom Line: I think you're safe to upgrade for your apps.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey @TomSwitch

Haven't done a deep dive but I'm smoke testing all my installed hb apps. So far I've not seen any issues with Edizon-SE or Breeze. Can't vouch for all hb yet and there might be some edge cases to find but in general atmosphere/hekate/sigpatches all work great and all my games launch w/o issue.

Appear to work is 90% of the battle won. :) You are on HOS 14?

I tested atmosphere 1.3 and it did not seems to have broken anything I care about. ( I am not updating HOS )

Reactions: binkinator

JayBae

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm on 14.0.0|AMS 1.3.0 everything works fine! only had to remove "Mission Control" and "Sys_botbase" to get it to stop crashing, those HB need to update still. all my other HB works fine and as expected.

Anywho~ going back to modding BOTW. XD

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on 14.0.0|AMS 1.3.0 everything works fine! only had to remove "Mission Control" and "Sys_botbase" to get it to stop crashing, those HB need to update still. all my other HB works fine and as expected.

Anywho~ going back to modding BOTW. XD
Mission control may be a good reason to not update. If it was able to wake up Switch I would be using it and save some money than to buy pro controller which disappoint with the drift problem. ( my second one is starting to drift )

JayBae

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mission control may be a good reason to not update. If it was able to wake up Switch I would be using it and save some money than to buy pro controller which disappoint with the drift problem.

Tho I do like Mission Control so i can use my nifty WiiU Pro Controller, it's not a deal breaker, being all the HB that's still being worked on will be up in a couple days, plus I did not wanna keep having the system update popup every time I try to launch a game....Always trying to trick me into agreeing to updates! you sneaky >:3 got my eye on you Nintendo!~

Anywho~

An update is being worked on for Mission Control, says give em like two days, apparently Nintendo's update changed just enough to cause issues. What they said below.

just wait a day or two while I finalise the release.

Last edited by JayBae,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr