Nintendo Switch firmware 14.0.0 released, finally adds folder support

Screenshot_20220321-194402_Brave.jpg

More than five years after the launch of the Nintendo Switch, the console has gotten a major quality of life feature. Added in today's 14.0.0 firmware update was the "Groups" feature, which gives users the ability to collect their games and organize them into folders. If you have more than 12 games, you can navigate to the All Software tab, where you'll be prompted to select which games you'd like to put into a group, and then name it. The Switch can have up to 100 different groups with up to 200 individual games within each group.

:arrow: Source

Ver. 14.0.0 (Released March 21, 2022)​

"Groups" feature was added to the All Software menu.

• You can now create groups of software to help organize your software titles.
  • Making groups for different game genres, developers, or whatever you’d like to organize by may make it easier to find the application you want.
    • Up to 100 groups can be created with a max of 200 titles per group.
  • The button to proceed to the "All Software" screen is displayed only when there are 13 or more software title icons on the system.
  • For more information, see How to Create Groups of Software.

Bluetooth® Audio volume behavior was changed.

• You can now adjust the volume of Bluetooth audio devices using either the Nintendo Switch™ console or through volume control buttons on the Bluetooth audio device.
    • The Bluetooth audio device must support AVRCP profiles for these changes to work.
  • The volume displayed on the console will reflect the Bluetooth audio volume when using the device’s control buttons.
  • The maximum volume output for some Bluetooth audio devices has been increased.

UPDATE March 22nd: If you are running Atmosphere, it is recommended by SciresM that you avoid updating until the newest version is released as there are a number of changes in 14.0.0. It is currently in the works but will take a bit longer than most minor updates.

Atmosphere-14.0.0-Update.jpeg
Screenshot courtesy for @Alexander1970

Ampersound

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nintendo is most likely gonna sell this feature as the "cool next hot new thing".
Which has been a standard for yeeears.
Still glad they added them.

Reactions: impeeza

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you know if atmosphere has been updated? I plan to sell my two limited edition switches and I wonder if I should be careful not to update.

You can check atmosphere update at its GitHub. Right now, not yet. And I always update to the latest atomsphere but stay with lower firmware update because I don't need newer games to run at all. If you like the latest games that required the higher FW then go for it.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can check atmosphere update at its GitHub. Right now, not yet. And I always update to the latest atomsphere but stay with lower firmware update because I don't need newer games to run at all. If you like the latest games that required the higher FW then go for it.
Well, I don't plan to exploit my switches, but I'm selling two of them and if the person wants to exploit them, I want that to be an option. :)

DudderButter

Cheesehead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo listening? Didn't think I'd see the day. Maybe they're making it up to us when they randomly shut down the DSI/Wii shops...but I doubt it.

The moment I got the notice for the update on the Switch, I had to check here. I can live with waiting for the next Atmosphere and Hekate patch. But I'm wondering if there will be new sigpatches to wait for as well?

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow that took forever! And apparently is still not the greatest, not being on the main menu. But still, people wanted a cleaner app menu.

How about those themes and maybe actually appealing (and relevant) icons, then? Or a less miserable shop experience? Or will that also take another 5 years?

Elodain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was hyped for this but after seeing the screenshots it's really sad.
What's stopping Nintendo from showing these "groups" directly available on the home menu?
Absolutely nothing.

Save maybe making it available in the NSO Expansion Pack's $35 a year Expansion Pack.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I accidentally updated my Switch firmware. When should we expect an RCM update to allow for atmosphere to continue to run?
Your RCM should still be working, but there's no real ETA on homebrew other than when it's good, stable, and ready to be released.

Reactions: Prior22

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo listening? Didn't think I'd see the day. Maybe they're making it up to us when they randomly shut down the DSI/Wii shops...but I doubt it.

The moment I got the notice for the update on the Switch, I had to check here. I can live with waiting for the next Atmosphere and Hekate patch. But I'm wondering if there will be new sigpatches to wait for as well?
What do you think? Of course it take a tiny bit of time for signpatch author to do their work, or if they have retired form this then the wait will be much longer ( for someone who wants it enough to work on it )

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I accidentally updated my Switch firmware. When should we expect an RCM update to allow for atmosphere to continue to run?
what are you talking about? RCM does nothing to do with atmosphére be able to run on new firmware, if you update without read then you could:
  • Restore a backup of your (emu)NAND before update.
  • wait until the people what works FOR FREE on atmosphére could get working on the new firmware, they are great, but they are human.
next time please read.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what are you talking about? RCM does nothing to do with atmosphére be able to run on new firmware, if you update without read then you could:
  • Restore a backup of your (emu)NAND before update.
  • wait until the people what works FOR FREE on atmosphére could get working on the new firmware, they are great, but they are human.
next time please read.
Restoring nand for people who goes online is not a good idea, not unless backup is made after every server visit. The change in log file is likely to get you banned.

Nintendo bundling game update with system update is probably what cause so many "accidental" updates. Tell your wife/girl friend/child to never do any update without your permission is the only way to prevent this, and for you check if there is any new HOS version before you update your game is the only way to prevent this "accident".

Last edited by TomSwitch,

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your RCM should still be working, but there's no real ETA on homebrew other than when it's good, stable, and ready to be released.

I misspoke and should have just said atmosphere. Anyways just based off past track record should I expect more than a few weeks for a new atmosphere version to be released? Just interested in typically how long atmosphere is able to counter the Nintendo releases.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I misspoke and should have just said atmosphere. Anyways just based off past track record should I expect more than a few weeks for a new atmosphere version to be released? Just interested in typically how long atmosphere is able to counter the Nintendo releases.
Comparing the complexity of the change may give you a feel on how long this one is going to take relative to the other releases.
This list looks longer than the others to me. The using optimization option ("Kernel is now compiled with -O3 again instead of -Os ") in compiling of HOS may add significantly to the time too. My bet is the wait is going to be much longer than normal.
https://switchbrew.org/w/index.php?title=14.0.0&type=revision&diff=11555&oldid=11554

Last edited by TomSwitch,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3