Hardware Nintendo Switch - docking station blinks once and nothing is displayed (and I have no LCD)

wodzuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello,

I was given a Nintendo Switch console that has broken LCD screen. First I thought that this is OK because I want to play it on TV anyway but… it does not work :) I think there must be some other problem with it as well.

Previous owner told me that after he broke the LCD it used to work on TV with the docking station for some time but then it stopped.

When I put it into the docking station in blinks the green light just once and nothing more happens. Of course there is nothing on the LCD other than some colorful “spiderweb”.

What have I done to investigate the issue:
  1. removed the LCD and touchscreen since they are broken anyway.
  2. opened the console to check if there are any obvious physical damages to the PCBs but found nothing.
  3. checked the battery - it gives around 3.6V and charges correctly with original charger.
  4. tried different docking station, verified the HDMI cable
  5. visually inspected USB-C port. Looks perfect.
I am stuck. I don’t know what to do next. Does anyone have any idea how to continue the investigation? What would you usually check in such situation? What could be the problem?

I hope that it's OK that I am testing with LCD, touchscreen, game card reader and SD card readers disconnected.

Thanks for any answers and suggestions.
Maciej

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
The Switch has a dedicated chip (PI3USB 30532ZLE) for sending the video signals over the USB port to the dock.
I suspect that this chip broke down as well.
Maybe a good repair shop can replace it or maybe advise you whether to just get a screen replacement.
It might be just a matter of putting in a new LCD or maybe the previous owner manager to mess up more than just the LCD.

wodzuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thanks @thesjaakspoiler. I actually don't need the screen. My plan is to use it only for gaming on TV.

Do you have any suggestions on how to investigate if PI3USB is broken? I am genuinely interested in how to check such things. I have checked the largest capacitor next to it (on the top) with ohmmeter and one end gives almost no resistance while the other seems to be not connected. That is good, right? I have also checked the 5 filters below it if they show some resistance. They do so I guess electricity can pass through them. What is next? What should I do? Thanks for any suggestions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: