Nintendo Switch AR game 'Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit' announced

MarioKartLiveHomeCircuit.jpg

Nintendo is experimenting with other realities and this time, Ninty is trying out Augmented Reality (AR). During its Super Mario Bros. Direct to celebrate the series' 35th anniversary, the console maker announced Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit. Created in partnership with Velan Studios, this Nintendo Switch game is like no other as it requires physical Mario-themed kart toys to play. These karts come equipped with a camera and are controlled with the Switch console for an AR Mario Kart experience.

The physical kart responds to boosts in-game and in the real world, stops when hit with an item, and can be affected in different ways depending on the race. Players place gates to create a custom course layout in their home, where they can let their imagination determine the track. Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit allows players to race against Koopalings in Grand Prix to unlock skins to customise courses and costumes for Mario and Luigi, and also supports up to four players in local multiplayer mode .

Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit, which is available in Mario or Luigi models, launches on 16th October and functions with a Nintendo Switch or Nintendo Switch Lite.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Like I said in the other thread, a really interesting innovation, but will have to see how well it works. Won't be practical for a lot of people.

dude1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So glorified Anki Overdrive just with Kart mounted cams instead or IR encoded key track pieces

its the kind of thing id play with a handfull of times if gifted but short of buying it from the a heavily discounted clearance rack when it inevitably doesnt sell well( not saying mario isnt popular but clear and non carpeted floor not to mention in larger quantities seems to prevent these types of toys from avoiding the bargin bin.)

ill pass for now

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
So basically an expensive remote control car that is controlled by the switch.

Bullshit gimmick, just play fucking mario kart.
It also features the typical Mario Kart features (items, coins), costumes, and I've heard of unlockable objects you can place on the track.

Even if this was just a RC car with a camera and screen I'd still think this was awesome when I was like 10

Reactions: DSoryu

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pretty cool, but the karts seem too slow. Also, it needs to be compatible with some small home made jumps, but there doesn't seem to be any suspension on the karts, and it doubt the game would properly detect jumps but i could be wrong.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is my childhood dream comming true, very excited to build very large tracks with all kind of bridges and even themed handmade mini-scenery. I really hope it comes with the capabilit of recording your races.

Probably. In a worse case scenario you might still be able to record 30 second chunks.
I'd love to get some large tracks done with this, but I got a feeling that the size will be limited somehow. Otherwise you might need to run after your kart so that it won't lose the connection. Maybe you can get around that by crafting tracks that go up and down.

Last edited by Axido,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It looks OK, I just found myself disappointed that it's not a full Mario Kart game. It'd be a neat little bonus DLC to Mario Kart 8, but it's not a replacement for a full Mario Kart, and I'm afraid it means we're not getting Mario Kart 9 on the Switch. Racing around the same track over and over is going to get old quick.
how does the physical cart "hookup" to the switch? direct wi-fi?
You confused me for a bit until I realized you meant kart, not cart :P
Mario Cart would be a very different game...

D

Deleted User

Looks like something I'd play for 5mins.

Nintendo continues to refuse to release Switch's own Mario Kart game.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, going by the trailer there'll be no drifting.

Reactions: felix.200

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pump the chocolate into my veins