Nintendo switch AC adapter (needs a new typeC male port)

rahulkalra9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hi,

My problem : my nintendo AC wall adapters usb typec male plug has gone faulty ( the wall charger is fine) .. it needs a new usb typec male port(i have a few unused typec cables at my disposal)

PS: I am just trying to understand the connections .. there are 5 wires (DC wires that come from the AC wall adapter , pic attached) and there is a picture of the stripped male usb typec port(pic attached)

Could any1 please help me identify these wires and how the connections are to be made .. such that I dont end up frying anything on the motherboard

Regards
Rahul

1st image :
switch1.JPG

2nd image :
switch2.JPG

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The red wires are positive voltage for a4/a9 and the black wires are ground for a1/a12 with the remaining white wire for cc on a5.

When you flip the connector it’s the same but on the b side. that makes it reversible.

that said, power cables are pretty cheap.

• Love
Reactions: Compi and zxr750j

rahulkalra9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
thanks to Zxr750j and bikinator .. i still have a few questions:

1) there are 2 red wires .. do they both have same voltages? ( i am confused because .. this wall adapter can output 15v and 5v .. and there are red wires for sure .. but there are 2 red wires .. there is confusion about this ..)
2) there are 2 black wires .. which is understood ..no problem there
3) white wire .. what is it use ? any ideas

I have found one more picture .. attaching it for reference :

switch6.JPG

zxr750j

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The same power (at first 5V) goes through both cables. The power adapter starts at 5V until the white wire tells the power supply to give it more.
Cut a donor cable and show the wires, we'll go from there...

Reactions: binkinator

rahulkalra9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
The same power (at first 5V) goes through both cables. The power adapter starts at 5V until the white wire tells the power supply to give it more.
Cut a donor cable and show the wires, we'll go from there...
Thanks ..

1)Sure I am just finalizing the new cable from where i will source the typec male port
2) I am still confused abut the 2 red wires .. my confusion is .. so they both have same voltage(5v and 5v) or (one of the reds have 5volts and the other red contains 15 volts) ..

Regards
Rahul

zxr750j

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
1) Nice!
2) Both wires push the same voltage (always), they use multiple wires because 1 wire can't take the full load. They start at 5v/5v until the white wire sais: "Give me more!" then it becomes 15v/15v

Reactions: binkinator

rahulkalra9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Bro there is one issue that has come

1) the ac adapter (the one with red wires belongs to my friend .. its his)
2) I just pulled my own and there are 5 wires but color is different(attaching pic)

PS: this is an old issue .. that i am returning to after like 10 months .. so the other AC adapter(with red wires) is not with me anymore

How to identify now ..?

Regards
Rahul
switch7.JPG

1) Nice!
2) Both wires push the same voltage (always), they use multiple wires because 1 wire can't take the full load. They start at 5v/5v until the white wire sais: "Give me more!" then it becomes 15v/15v

rahulkalra9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hi ,

I have some additional information

1) the 2 white wires have continuity (tested with multimeter)
2) the 2 black wires have continuity as well (tested with multimeter)
3) white and black doesnt have continuity (tested with multimeter)
4) white and blue doesnt have continuity (tested with multimeter)
5) black and blue doesnt have continuity (tested with multimeter)

Regards
Rahul

switch7.JPG

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi ,

I have some additional information

1) the 2 white wires have continuity (tested with multimeter)
2) the 2 black wires have continuity as well (tested with multimeter)
3) white and black doesnt have continuity (tested with multimeter)
4) white and blue doesnt have continuity (tested with multimeter)
5) black and blue doesnt have continuity (tested with multimeter)

Regards
Rahul

View attachment 328968
Power it on and test for voltage with your multimeter. Black is almost assuredly ground and go from there. Odd wire out (blue) is most likely the CC wire while the white wires are probably voltage (starts at 5v). Put that meter to work to confirm.

rahulkalra9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
1) Nice!
thanks bro for point number 2 .. has really given me a good direction to move forward .. one more question I have regarding this .. 5v "x" amps & 5v "x" amps the wall charger it outputting .. so how come 15volts 2.6 amps getting generated .. is there a voltage booster on the switch mobo?

Regards
Rahul

zxr750j

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The adapter has variable output, according to the specs on my ninty adapter it can change the voltage from 5V 1.5A to 15V @2.5A . Though I don't think a switch ever draws that much power.

rahulkalra9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
The adapter has variable output, according to the specs on my ninty adapter it can change the voltage from 5V 1.5A to 15V @2.5A . Though I don't think a switch ever draws that much power.
yeah I can see these 2 output voltages on the adapter .. but I still have questions .. i will ask later ..

So here is the information that you guys asked me

using the multimeter (now I am checking the voltages of different combinations)

1) white & black : 0 voltage
2) black & blue : 2.94 volts
3) white & blue : 2.94 volts
4) white & white : 0 voltage
5) black & black : 0 voltage

PS: these are the same results .. I can remember it .. when I was trying it 10 months ago ..
b) if I touch the red peg of the multimeter to the white wire and black peg of the multimeter to the blue wire .. i get -2.94 volts
c) I am not getting to see 5volts or 15 volts ..my multimeter is set on 20 volts dc limit (so no issues there in the multimeter setting)

Now what? I am stuck ..please help

Regards
Rahul

rahulkalra9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hi,

I just did another test .. I have an led 8mm(it needs 5volts to glow) .. i tried with all possible combinations .. and it didnt lit at all .. tried black/white , black/blue , white/blue ..it didnt lit

PS: the AC wall charger is 100% working .. I am 100% sure ..

rahulkalra9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hi guys ,

Thanks for the help .. I have crossed 1 more hurdle ..

So I have determined that the Ac adapter has 5 wires, in my case :

1) white wire : 5 volts
2) black : ground
3) Blue : sense wire
4) white : 5 volts
5) black : ground

PS: I am able to get these values via multimeter.. but I am not able to get the amps reading on the multimeter .. as I feel the power adapter is shutting itself down when I am trying to calculate the AMPS via a multimeter .. any idea about the AMPS ? I want to know the amps from the first (white wire and black wire combination) and then I want to know the amps from the 2nd white wire and black wire combination ..

b) I have gotten myself a usb typec male port already .. now I would be soldering it with my nintendo switchs AC adapter .. (will keep you posted) ..

Regards
Rahul

zxr750j

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You'll only get amps if something draws power. You could check for continuity between the two black wires (and between the whites), I bet there is zero resistance (they are the same). I would open up my own adapter but I've seen you'll almost have to destroy it to get inside. Keep us updated!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1