Hacking Nintendo sues Modding company in Miami... more to follow? (Gateway)

Arique

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Man, I feel bad for these guys. Their customer support was awesome and helped me out with setting up my R4iGold cart. Sad to see Nintendo drop the banhammer on them and shut them down. :(

EDIT: ...On second thought, maybe Nintendo shutting these guys down is a good thing. Piracy is bad, and even though I have an R4iGold cart, I mainly just use it for Homebrew and stuff, not roms. What HYC was offering though (100+ Prebuilt games into a modded Wii and whatnot) was just way too insane, and I'm glad NoA stopped them from selling any more modded goods.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

beundertaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lmao on 2nd thought I'm glad they are getting sued. This is just a scumbag company that tries to eek out every extra dollar it can get. There is a difference between selling a flashcart and selling a flashcart with the dirty work already being done.

I really hate being "that guy." :(

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nintendo has sued nearly every vendor in Japan, UK and the US, this was seen coming.

This is also why your not likely to find any local vendors left in Japan, UK, or the US selling flashcarts or mods.

They don't charge products until they're ready to be shipped, so no money is lost on the consumer end.

It just means you have to order from somewhere else, or in this case pre-order your gateway flashcart from somewhere outside the US.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
one thing though they may obtain customer info i never heard of them suing end users only those who supply flashcarts and mods or those who dump games (somebody here dumped NSMBW and got sued i never heard of an end user getting sued by the big N

Saturosias

thank
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i never heard of an end user getting sued by the big N

Even on the very slight chance they were to sue an end-user, it could only be one who purchased a preloaded cartridge, not any of their currently offered products. Most of their pages offering the offended material are outdated and most likely neglected to be removed by mistake, I've emailed them with links to [I think] all of their infringing material.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah if they started suing ANYONE with a flashcart (clean or Preloaded) what do you think their rep would be? (I guess a little ding but the public wouldn't care and call us filthy pirates)

mickcris

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If I recall correctly (I may be wrong) but I think they used to preload their flashcarts or something. They were recommended by the folk here to remove most of the infringing content for their sake. I think this was earlier this summer, so my details were a little bit foggy. If it's incorrect information I will remove this post.

You are correct. I think it may have already been too late at that point though. They were listed as a reseller on the Gateway site before removing this stuff (and as others have already noted, they did not do a good job of removing it and left some pages up) and I think they also had lots of personal information listed on the contact page. I'm sure Nintendo was watching the Gateway site closely. Probably if they would not have signed up as a Gateway reseller, Nintendo would not have noticed them.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are correct. I think it may have already been too late at that point though. They were listed as a reseller on the Gateway site before removing this stuff (and as others have already noted, they did not do a good job of removing it and left some pages up) and I think they also had lots of personal information listed on the contact page. I'm sure Nintendo was watching the Gateway site closely. Probably if they would not have signed up as a Gateway reseller, Nintendo would not have noticed them.

Yeah, I regret to see that it went down that road, but that's the penalty that occurs when you do illegal work. :(

mickcris

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I regret to see that it went down that road, but that's the penalty that occurs when you do illegal work. :(

Its not an excuse, but she did not seem to know it was illegal. Offering the preloaded cards, especially since she is located in the US, was a horrible idea.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its not an excuse, but she did not seem to know it was illegal. Offering the preloaded cards, especially since she is located in the US, was a horrible idea.

I tend to see Chinese shops sometimes do this, but doing that in the US is a different sight, that's for sure. It definitely is not an excuse, ignorance of the law can't be used as a defense either.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Meh, if the person gets sued the worst that can happen is she will go bankrupt. If the Department of Justice opens up a criminal investigation against her, then she's screwed and could end up in prison for a couple years for selling pirated software. I've seen it happen before, but usually they get undercover government agents purchase copies to prove it in court (this woman was a friend's old boss: http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2011/April/11-crm-495.html). She sold pirated Windows, Office, etc. And it's not just big software companies either. I got a letter from the FBI a few months ago notifying me that they were investigating people who sold pirated copies of Android apps and mine was included (and gave me info about my "rights as a victim"... which was written for victims of more emotionally damaging crimes, lol).

It's harder to prove a criminal case than a civil case, so she should probably close the website for good as soon as she can, refund all unshipped orders, and try to settle the lawsuit with Nintendo.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However, Ninty should directly prosecute the flashcard companies themselves.

In China????!!!??

blaLI5r.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse