Nintendo sues a man because he sold his N64 on EBay for $25

Plazorn

GBAtemp’s Dragon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A man named Arnold Wells found his old N64 in his attic and decided to sell it on eBay, not knowing what it was really worth, he sold it for only $25. Nintendo saw this and got really pissed off, suing Arnold.
Nintendo representatives said,
“Here at Nintendo, we are dedicated to maintaining Nintendo’s long established identity,” explained Doug Bowser, Nintendo of America president. “As such, we simply cannot let our players also be the ones buying and selling the units as well as dictating the prices and terms of sale. This disrupts the relationship between us and the public, and really threatens our perception as a family friendly company. That is why we will sue any man, woman, or child that even so much as draws a picture of Mario. It’s because we care.”
Nintendo then took the $25 that Arnold had made from his console…

(Later found fake)

Last edited by Plazorn,

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a Hard-Drive.net article ..that smells of satire ... (plus no sources)
I mean the last sentence "As of press time, a couple of guys were kicking the shit out of the guy dressed up like Mario in Times Square"

Nintendo Sues Guy for $25 He Made Selling N64 on eBay

Reactions: Kei00

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Reactions: Plazorn and CoolMe

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

SpencerWade

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well...to be fair...
It's not really that far fetched. Remember all of those lawsuits the MMORPG makers were filing, Particularly Everquest, for people building characters and selling them on Ebay? That's a double crazy, crazy that anyone would spend money on a game piece after the game has been played for the most part, and crazy that anyone would bother wasting their time to sue for said game piece. Its a crazy world filled with many crazy people, you just never know.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well...to be fair...
It's not really that far fetched. Remember all of those lawsuits the MMORPG makers were filing, Particularly Everquest, for people building characters and selling them on Ebay? That's a double crazy, crazy that anyone would spend money on a game piece after the game has been played for the most part, and crazy that anyone would bother wasting their time to sue for said game piece. Its a crazy world filled with many crazy people, you just never know.
It is not really the same thing. One is a thing on a service and against terms of service, reselling hardware is covered by first sale doctrine which generally notes that once you sold something you forgo claims to it absent any valid contract (see some of the new build house/development stuff and fancy car stuff) saying otherwise, and even that might amount to more of a contract issue (the US Supreme court not so long ago had a case there with laser toner cartridges I think it was).
I have my issues with the blocking of sale of accounts, and frustrations put in place for those looking to resell downloadable games/software, but that is probably a different discussion and is actually not that settled a matter of law in a lot of places.

Equally Nintendo's generally anti second hand stance (I say despite them recommending it as a way to play some of their out of print games on their website) and also not quite being in the luxury brands world for their second hand goods* would make this a very curious move indeed.

*videos because why not

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I cant tell what my favorite N64 game is