Hardware Nintendo stole Christmas this year

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like how people complain about Nintendo specifically when Steam has been absolute hell yesterday.

I don't (and won't) use steam, so had no clue as to its status, thats why (for me anyhoo).

I'm only (futilely) trying to use the eshop because they didn't pack the actual Zelda game in with the WiiU system. After this I'm only even more cemented in my view that I will never E-E-EEEEEVER be buying my games as digital downloads. I will stop gaming before that.

It seems like the op is a spoiled kid who can't wait a couple of days to be able to receive his gift.

Am I the only one who cares more about spending time with my family than playing video games on christmas? By the way, I didn't receive the Zelda albw game I pre-ordered in time for xmas and I'm not crying or whining about it..

I can't speak for him, but I've been waiting for this WiiU for weeks already (and even passed on going out and buying one for myself when someone hinted I should wait til after Christmas), to finally get it and not be able to use it, that's like a knife to the gut.

I already spend plenty of time with immediate family, and extended family is now all spread out in different parts of the country and no one comes home for Christmas anymore anyway. The ones that do come around come later in the week, so it's not like actually being able to play my game on Christmas would have impacted family time at all. But I hope your high horse is in good health.

I expect people to work on Christmas so I can access the eShop.

I expect the eShop to work on Christmas if you need to access the eShop to play the game that "came" with the system.

BTW, it's no longer Christmas, and I still don't have a way to play the game that came with the system. Oh man, I expect people to work on Dec 26th so I can access the eShop, I'm such a bastard.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't think most people here know how servers work... Servers going down means the infrastructure is not robust enough to handle that much traffic and it's not a problem you normally solve in a couple of days. I bet all Nintendo and Valve did was to wait for the traffic to lower...

Reactions: gamefan5

Chaldron

GBATemp's Official Attorney
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think most people here know how servers work... Servers going down means the infrastructure is not robust enough to handle that much traffic and it's not a problem you normally solve in a couple of days. I bet all Nintendo and Valve did was to wait for the traffic to lower...

That may be true, but I think most people are pissed at Nintendo not anticipating this and just hoping that their servers wouldn't crash.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
That may be true, but I think most people are pissed at Nintendo not anticipating this and just hoping that their servers wouldn't crash.
And this is the problem that I can't get that people don't understand. Nintendo should have realized that with the holiday push, they would actually need better servers than what they have used for casual use. I get that Nintendo still only has a vague clue as to how an online community should function on both a hardware and community level, but it's amazing that, in almost 2014 now, Nintendo still can't set up their servers to handle the influx, or at the least work it out in less than 36 hours. Notice that Sony and Microsoft did fine. Note that even Steam only went down for a few hours, and that was likely because there were millions upon millions of people all trying to access their servers at exactly the same time to get their free game. Nintendo is the odd man out here in being down the longest while showing absolutely no signs of actually getting it going again.

mr allen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I don't understand is where does "Nintendo should have anticipated this and got better servers" come from? Even Steam went down for awhile and yet I don't see people complaining that they should have anticipated it and got more servers. The problem here isn't that Nintendo's servers went down, it's the fact that they haven't come back yet.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

They didn't crash; they're just going slow. If they had crashed, no one would've gotten on there and Nintendo would've specifically stated they'd crashed. But being patient is hard, considering that people are downloading Wind Waker HD; it's just such a marvelous game and has been anticipated for years and years.

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
But being patient is hard, considering that people are downloading Wind Waker HD; it's just such a marvelous game and has been anticipated for years and years.

Well, given that the game has been out for years and years already (GC version), a few more days won't hurt.

Anyways, you could always play the GC version if you are that impatient.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
What I don't understand is where does "Nintendo should have anticipated this and got better servers" come from? Even Steam went down for awhile and yet I don't see people complaining that they should have anticipated it and got more servers. The problem here isn't that Nintendo's servers went down, it's the fact that they haven't come back yet.
People had to expect Steam to go down though. There are millions upon millions of Steam users just trying to watch the winter deals. Add a free game on top of that, and there was no way that Steam could have the servers necessary to handle such a large customer load, all trying to load the same page none-the-less. Even then, Steam had their service fixed in just a few hours, while Nintendo's has been down since early Christmas day. It's undeniable that this is Nintendo's fault, and people have the right to be upset with them for not expecting that their normal servers wouldn't be able to handle this holiday push with so many out of date systems in the wild, as well as those that got bundles that required an eshop download. Even then, the fact that they couldn't fix it in over 24 hours now tells me that Nintendo has no idea what the hell they're doing, which gives even more justification for being upset that Nintendo could still be so damn incompetent at the end of 2013.

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hah, those who are complaining over Nintendo's servers being down and claiming Nintendo is an idiot are idiots. Everyone fucks up from time to time in this department. The aforementioned Steam has problems but people don't claim Valve to be idiots. Hell, Xbox Live is having issues AND YET no one claims Microsoft to be idiots (AT LEAST not for that reason). The PSN has issues from time to time. Most websites go down from time to time. MMOs suffer from high volume traffic ALL THE FUCKING TIME. Your ISP slows all the time from high volume. But lol, Nintendo retarded!

kleinepause.4mal.de-son-disappoint-02.jpg

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hah, those who are complaining over Nintendo's servers being down and claiming Nintendo is an idiot are idiots. Everyone fucks up from time to time in this department. The aforementioned Steam has problems but people don't claim Valve to be idiots. Hell, Xbox Live is having issues AND YET no one claims Microsoft to be idiots (AT LEAST not for that reason). The PSN has issues from time to time. Most websites go down from time to time. MMOs suffer from high volume traffic ALL THE FUCKING TIME. Your ISP slows all the time from high volume. But lol, Nintendo retarded!
People are arguing the length of downtime, rather than the downtime itself.

Valve and Sony resolved their downtime within couple hours, Nintendo is still ongoing as we speak.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So now when entering the eshop it says there going under maintenance, that would have been fine to tell us hours before instead of me thinking my internet was fucking up. Oh well lets see what is gonna change this time.

GBA rocks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just managed to access the eShop, still a bit slow, some icon didn't load but it's working at the moment.
Downloading a game right now.

lavera

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp. Finally able to access the eShop too. Tried to transfer $60 to my eShop account using Entropay but got an error. The amount was however deducted from Entropay but was never added to the eShop. Gonna have to wait some more before I can download Supah Mario Sree-Dee Land. Bah humbug. :glare:

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
The eShop is now telling me that Nintendo shutted down the eShop's services in my region. Along with indicating hours during the day for when it "should" work. I have that Nintendo 3DS 20$ card lying here for 2 days now and scare to use it (waste) if I ever manage to log in.

Pip'

taken

Trophies
XP
Country
Error Code 011-1000 We sincerely apologize, but in an effort to manage the high traffic, and ultimately improve the consumer experience,
we are temporarily taking the Nintendo eShop services offline in your region. I am in the United Kingdom, been waiting to buy games off eShop come on Nintendo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They're very common on social media.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ik about the phobias Im used to it but what's a chaser
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Whoever you disclose your gender identity to, keep it private between your friends.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    irl or online
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Always is online.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Pretty much.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    eh I don't keep it private, not much happens except idiots on TikTok making a fool of themselves
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    im still curious as to what a chaser is tho
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    A chaser is someone who uses (mostly trans) individuals to their advantage like I said.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    thats weird
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    blahaj will keep me safe
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    damn I forget my school blocks every video
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Right, yeah.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    dune 2 popcorn bucket
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Many schools use some form of firewall or protection, to prevent certain types of content from being viewable.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, And that haha
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school blocks stuff but allows some stuff, its annoying, they legit can see our screens if they want
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Nah. That popcorns got sand in it :(
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There was a time where we were able to bypass the school's network using a VPN that wasn't blocked on the radar. Can't exactly remember the name, but I was able to watch YouTube.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I used to go on proxy sites but I'm too lazy and it isn't worth it
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I...