1. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I expect people to work on Christmas so I can access the eShop.

Holy shit quit crying kid.

NEP, calmwaters, Issac and 3 others like this.
  2. GBA rocks

OP GBA rocks GBAtemp Fan

Nintendo fanboys in denial all over the place.

Outside the nintendo bubble, online services are supposed and expected to work 365 days a year, with occasional failures but hardly 2 days (and counting).

As for the title and the spirit of the thread, I had enough faith in humanity to assume nobody would have taken it literally.

People paid for the handheld with real money (maybe money they saved by working as nurses or doctors or policemen on Christmas day themselves, you know) and expect the service to work AS ADVERTISED, plain and simple.

3. RodrigoDavy

RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    In the past I thought just like you, but as I grew older I realized things won't always work as they should when you need them. In these cases it's wiser to just be patient instead of being upset about it, you will be doing yourself a favor.

I have yet to see an online service that "work 365 days a year, with occasional failures but hardly 2 days (and counting)" Every service has its flaws... PSN compromised personal and credit card data of it users some years ago. Xbox Live claims to be free but it won't even let you use Youtube or Internet Explorer without paying for a gold account. (Just tried to do it yersterday). I can't access Steam even now. So I don't think services flaws is a thing accepted exclusively by this "Nintendo buble".

Duo8 likes this.
  4. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Are you a doctor? A nurse? A policeman? Or is whoever bought this for you in those professions?

If the answer is no then you can stop whining.

If the answer is yes, still stop whining.

This is either some serious bait or you're like twelve and cannot grasp the concept of patience. Overloads happen now and then, it's hard to estimate and prepare for one. If the eShop is up already then you should quit crying already.

Christ I'm pretty notorious around here for being the "anti-Nintendo guy" and even I have to stick up for Nintendo on this one because it happens to everybody.

NEP, Duo8, gamefan5 and 4 others like this.
  5. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

United States
    PSN and Steam were both down yesterday. Kept getting kicked off PSN.

6. GBA rocks

OP GBA rocks GBAtemp Fan

I just marvel at the notion that being able to unwrap a device on Christmas morning and start downloading stuff from its appstore is perceived as some kind of novelty or spoiled kid material.

The outage is a minor inconvenience, the title is indeed leaning towards click baiting (this was actually the third or fourth thread on the subject, but the only one to gain any momentum), but some of the answers here are gold.

7. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I will say that I was a bit peeved that my 3DS was unable to make any connections to Nintendo's servers whatsoever, even this morning. Came here looking to see if anything was up, and here it is. I'm not the only one having this problem.

This is a serious issue. As many people have stated, there must have been kids getting their new 3DS or Wii U on Christmas and being completely unable to play it (if, for example, it was the Legend of Zelda edition). A BIG thumbs down for Nintendo there.

Obviously, any service will see downtime, but there is technology in place today (the best implementation of which I have thus far seen being Microsoft's) that allows for server resources to dynamically scale with demand. Such technology was designed almost exclusively for situations such as this (massive spikes on holiday/release days), so it is very annoying to me that no companies are managing to use it correctly.

8. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

United States
    I guess some people see the downtime as this
    [​IMG]

Duo8 and tbgtbg like this.
  9. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

United States
    But on the flipside, more people must care about Nintendo than Sony or Steam since I haven't heard as many vociferous protesters about Sony's PSN going out.

10. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    You're on a Nintendo forum. People probably WANT Sony's PSN to go down. :creep:

calmwaters likes this.
  11. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

United States
    steam only happened since they announced l4d2 = free for one day only now every signal person who doesnt own it is trying to claim and download it at the same time
    the overall winter sale service has been pretty fine

I was playing gta online on ps3 fine so not sure what the complaints are from
    seem to be from ps4 though

12. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Netherlands
    Online multiplayer seems to work, the store had(has?) issues though.

13. heartgold

heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

I'm a little disappointed, I wanted to redeem some download codes and purchase from the eshop.

Eshop is still down. :/

14. Hadrian

Hadrian Everybofy knows badgers like MASH POTATOES!
    Former Staff

United States
    In the past, parents had to make sure there were batteries available for little Timmy's Nintendo handheld. Now they have to make sure that the bundled game has already been pre-installed or that there are no updates required.

gamefan5 likes this.
  15. GBA rocks

OP GBA rocks GBAtemp Fan

Looks like the eShop is up again but it's still very slow and an error prevented me from redeeming a download code.

16. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Still down for me and my friends.....

17. GBA rocks

OP GBA rocks GBAtemp Fan

Yeah back down for me too.

It worked just once (Supermario bros 3 sale and pokebank on the homescreen).

18. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Canada
    This thread seems to be gold for that "Shits Gbatemp says" thread. XD

19. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Smart parents open the console and set it up and download the games before Christmas.

Gift cards, well you people are just going to have to wait.

gamefan5 likes this.
  20. Schizoanalysis

Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

This thread is tedious.

gamefan5 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Christmas, Nintendo, stole