Gaming Nintendo spends $100 million on mystery acquisition!

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/227800-nintendo-spends-100-millio...

It's about damn time. They need serious help right now. Place your bets people. Who do you think it is?

Hopefully it means capcom/platinum have been bought! That's my dream.

a game studio would be best at this point. Especially since they aren't getting 3rd party support. Anyway I still want platinum/capcom and someone to merge into Nintendo. Though any BIG studio would do.

ResleyZ

Swiggity swaggity swooty, I love my own booty
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Interesting.. Anyone know what the QoL means? Not entirely sure it means what I think it means. There are some wild guesses already, like a universal tablet with the 'Nintendo OS' or something VR related.

Boss351

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
hmm maybe OnLive.... with "Cloud" services being flavour of the month with Microsoft building heavily in it and Gaikai snapped up into Sony's PlayStation products game streaming service I could see Nintendo scrambling for a competing service, though Iwata spoke negatively of cloud/streaming services in the past, 100 million was probably spent on tech to freeze the late Hiroshi Yamauchi's brain :)

ResleyZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The development and promotion of Destiny cost $500 million, $100 million is peanuts, no chance that it's related to Capcom or Platinum.

Dafuq, $500 million for 'yet another generic shooter'.

I really wonder what the purchase was. After a pretty financially year, this better make some profit for good ol' ninty.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Doesn't seem generic to me, but each to their own tastes. In any case, this money should be used to patch up the sinking Wii U boat, here's for hoping there purchase is somehow connected to that.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Doesn't seem generic to me, but each to their own tastes. In any case, this money should be used to patch up the sinking Wii U boat, here's for hoping there purchase is somehow connected to that.

Iwata mentioned pillars as a safety net for the gaming business. Non-gaming side ofcourse.
https://www.twitter.com/gibbogame/status/464223725882064896

The Wii u is no longer sold at a loss in its current price tag, hopefully they they can recover back the r&d losses etc. Speaking of r&d they've been pumping in a lot of money for their future consoles, nearly $300M invested for Q4 alone and throughout the past year. Last night Iwata mentioned in the investors meeting, they are working hard on next gen consoles and won't be released till current userbase is satisfied with current consoles.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm...this would give credit to this rumour. This is most likely that "BIG surprise" they'll be making.

My bet is on that QoL thing. And since nintendo has the tendency to partner up with studios rather than buy them, I doubt it'll be a game studio. No...I think they're going blue ocean again and bought some sort of hardware manufacturer (or patent) that does things totally different. Like...erm...a hometrainer you can fit your wii gamepad on. :unsure:

(small note: while this may sound as though I'm making fun of it, I'm actually not. With the given information, I really think this isn't such a wild guess as it may seem).

EDIT: @heartgIt was at a loss at launch, and the thing has gotten cheaper since. I know manufacturing and research costs tend to decline over the years, but I really doubt they're out of debt already. In fact, I just read yesterday they're still not selling enough (source...though I'm afraid it's a Dutch one).

T Link7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmm...this would give credit to this rumour. This is most likely that "BIG surprise" they'll be making.

Like all pre-e3 rumours, I doubt that one is true. I mean, if you read it, all of it sounds way too good to be true. Not to mention, there was another guy last year who did the same thing in the same ''believable'' way this guy is doing. He too took time to reply to people in his thread and he seemed kind, but everything he said was fake. Plus, once Nintendo said there wouldn't be new hardware, the guy in the thread just said ''oh lol, Nintendo likes to make last minute changes!''... yeah...
As for the supposedly cancelled game: I don't see any of the ''recently'' announced games missing from this list.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

My bet is on that QoL thing. And since nintendo has the tendency to partner up with studios rather than buy them, I doubt it'll be a game studio. No...I think they're going blue ocean again and bought some sort of hardware manufacturer (or patent) that does things totally different. Like...erm...a hometrainer you can fit your wii gamepad on. :unsure:

(small note: while this may sound as though I'm making fun of it, I'm actually not. With the given information, I really think this isn't such a wild guess as it may seem).

EDIT: @heartgIt was at a loss at launch, and the thing has gotten cheaper since. I know manufacturing and research costs tend to decline over the years, but I really doubt they're out of debt already. In fact, I just read yesterday they're still not selling enough (source...though I'm afraid it's a Dutch one).

OMG That digital event sounds so perfect that they would have to do it, they've injected so much into marketing that there's no way they wouldn't do something that big.
I'm thinking that it will be some sort of technology, but nothing we will see at E3, maybe a piece of hardware for the 9th gen/QoL.

ResleyZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thinking about it, Nintendo announced to make consoles/handhelds for 'upcoming/emerging markets' like China. There could be a possibility that this is used for that, but then (after looking at different company costs) $100 million is not really much for this.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
'QoL' is an ambiguous phrase that can mean many different things. Maybe it is shoes with sensors built in to monitor your movements and reflect them in-game. Maybe it is a fork that measures how much you eat so you can lose weight. Maybe it is an attachment for your toilet that will wipe you automatically. Maybe it is cam-shoes for upskirting...

Reactions: Bat420maN

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr