Nintendo, Sony & more are skipping Gamescom 2022

1500x500.jpg

After last year's digital-only event, Gamescom will be returning this year with a hybrid digital and in-person event running from August 23-28 in Cologne, Germany. However, two of the major platform holders, Nintendo and Sony, have already confirmed that they will not be attending.

Earlier in the month, Nintendo issued a statement to German publication Games Wirtschaft, spotted and translated by VideoGamesChronicle, that they will be skipping the event this year. “Gamescom is a key event in Nintendo’s calendar of events,” the statement reads. “This year, however, after careful consideration, we have decided against participating in Cologne."

Today, Sony spoke to the same publication to confirm they will also not be attending. The article also mentions that Activision Blizzard, Take-Two Interactive and Wargaming would not be coming this year.

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina
Those of us who grew during the 90s are so used to the big gaming events and showcases, seeing that age coming to an inevitably end is sad.
It's true that having their own schedules is easier for companies, but can't stop feeling we are losing something that was already part of the magic that made this industry be what it is.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I wouldn't be all that shocked if both Nintendo and Sony skip most big shows in the future at this point, I can't imagine the financial costs are worth it anymore when you have Nintendo Directs and State of Plays that accomplish the same thing without having a big ol booth or flying people out everywhere. Not as cool for the people who usually go, but given the circumstances...no real big loss IMO.

Jhyrachy

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Those of us who grew during the 90s are so used to the big gaming events and showcases, seeing that age coming to an inevitably end is sad.
It's true that having their own schedules is easier for companies, but can't stop feeling we are losing something that was already part of the magic that made this industry be what it is.
One of my child's dream was to visit the E3 and try all the new games.

Is a bit heartbreaking to see what shitty mess it has became

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What, how would we know more about new Pokemon games and future games, it's quite disappointedly and Nintendo suck really now.
Are you serious, or do you actually think Nintendo is completely unable to release any information to the public outside of someone else's trade show..?

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
You waited too long and they stopped giving a shit. 😐

E3 has been garbage for years and years.
I'll go out on a limb here: it's always been this way. Just about the only thing that's (maybe) changed is the official stance on the objectification of the female figure (i.e. booth babes).

You'll note that the perception of, say, E3 has changed with the democratization of gaming media, when you got a proper peak into what's really going on at E3 outside of just reading about the particular games or announcements in a gaming mag. The bullshit stopped getting filtered out once your average Joe had the bandwith (and the apetite that went along with it) to gorge on all those details, to put it simply.

Right now we're at the puking our guts out the morning after phase of appreciating gaming conventions, and the biguns have been paying attention.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended